This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amazonprimepackage

Reaction score
Hello. Recently had a dramatic mid-life crisis that led me to completely change paths on what I wanted to pursue in the future. Which of course leads me here to the threads for Pre-Optometry. Just wanted to be sure if I'm on track for when I apply and what I could be doing to be more comfortable when applications come around. Now, this would definitely be a lot better if I had taken the OAT but I haven't. Also to preface, I'm predicted to graduate Spring 2023 and since that puts me I believe in a good spot for when the next cycle opens up to be admitted for Fall, that's when I'll be applying. (Hopefully, I have that information correct, please don't be afraid to flame me if I'm not interpreting cycle acceptance dates correctly).

Schools I Plan to Apply:
  • SCO
  • NSU
  • Salus
  • UAB
  • ICO
  • UH
Application/Resume/Stuff...
  • Currently holding a 3.9 w/ my Health Sciences degree, of course since I'm in my 2/3 years of undergrad this is very subject to change...but I love to over plan
  • Currently an undergrad TA (for my Human Disease course)
    • Know I could get a phenomenal LOR from the professor I TA for
  • Am a peer advisor on campus (helps me a great deal with my introversion, problem-solving approaches for a multitude of personalities and thinking styles since I work with helping undeclared students declare and navigate through campus, etc.)
    • Know I could get a phenomenal LOR from my supervisor about my character, work ethic, etc.
  • Am a volunteer Color Guard coach (been coaching now for a while with the team I graduated from, love doing something that I have a great passion for but couldn't pursue in undergrad because I had to focus on my education, same idea with communication skills and problem-solving like with advising, etc.)
  • Been shadowing an optometrist lately (If concerned about hours, I had limited time between my fall and spring semester, and I also JUST thought about this career switch - after some tough consideration - so I have 17 hours with him. Didn't ask for a LOR after shadowing him that week because I plan to return throughout the year, but I do want to shadow multiple modes of practice)
  • I do have clinical hours working as a summer volunteer at a P.T/O.T (because it was a place I had done my own physical therapy at and honestly learning anatomy is one of my favorite things which I had done a lot with the people I was working with so I thought I might as well have stayed for the summer) now if this is relevant to mention anymore...not sure
  • In two major clubs (Now we do have a Pre-Optometry club on our campus BUT I feel like taking on another club might be too much. Also before the international medical club, I had joined a pre-med club cause I swore I thought I wanted to do med school, but I feel like if I switch to another club again it might make me look wishy-washy/non-committed on my applications unless I'm being paranoid)
    • First is a women's mentorship club, we work with a lot of troubled youth, do work in underserved communities, and we do especially a lot of service for POC environments (hoping to apply for leadership this upcoming semester and I believe I have a good chance but certainly don't want to be cocky)
    • Second is an international medical club, same thing of working with a lot of underserved communities, doing volunteering/working with non-profits, go on trips as well to various countries to do clinical work/volunteering
Speaking with an advisor soon on other things I could do on campus to strengthen my application even further so by the time I take the OAT (hopefully getting a good score...) I feel comfortable. I'm just hoping I could of course get the input now about how I'm doing so far - definitely does not feel like enough. Especially since I don't have any research under my belt a lot of what I'm doing right now feels fairly useless. Since I know I'll be out of my school as well in 3 years, I feel like I'll blink and that's it - no more chances, no acceptance to Optometry School - life over. Obviously, my life isn't over, but I definitely have the pressure of my parents not wanting to deem me as a failure if I don't get into grad school right after undergrad. Personally, I don't mind it since I feel I go crazy without having a clear objective in life which is what academia fulfills for me so eh.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your applicaton already sounds good so far! Keep it up and good luck!

Hello. Recently had a dramatic mid-life crisis that led me to completely change paths on what I wanted to pursue in the future. Which of course leads me here to the threads for Pre-Optometry. Just wanted to be sure if I'm on track for when I apply and what I could be doing to be more comfortable when applications come around. Now, this would definitely be a lot better if I had taken the OAT but I haven't. Also to preface, I'm predicted to graduate Spring 2023 and since that puts me I believe in a good spot for when the next cycle opens up to be admitted for Fall, that's when I'll be applying. (Hopefully, I have that information correct, please don't be afraid to flame me if I'm not interpreting cycle acceptance dates correctly).

Schools I Plan to Apply:
  • SCO
  • NSU
  • Salus
  • UAB
  • ICO
  • UH
Application/Resume/Stuff...
  • Currently holding a 3.9 w/ my Health Sciences degree, of course since I'm in my 2/3 years of undergrad this is very subject to change...but I love to over plan
  • Currently an undergrad TA (for my Human Disease course)
    • Know I could get a phenomenal LOR from the professor I TA for
  • Am a peer advisor on campus (helps me a great deal with my introversion, problem-solving approaches for a multitude of personalities and thinking styles since I work with helping undeclared students declare and navigate through campus, etc.)
    • Know I could get a phenomenal LOR from my supervisor about my character, work ethic, etc.
  • Am a volunteer Color Guard coach (been coaching now for a while with the team I graduated from, love doing something that I have a great passion for but couldn't pursue in undergrad because I had to focus on my education, same idea with communication skills and problem-solving like with advising, etc.)
  • Been shadowing an optometrist lately (If concerned about hours, I had limited time between my fall and spring semester, and I also JUST thought about this career switch - after some tough consideration - so I have 17 hours with him. Didn't ask for a LOR after shadowing him that week because I plan to return throughout the year, but I do want to shadow multiple modes of practice)
  • I do have clinical hours working as a summer volunteer at a P.T/O.T (because it was a place I had done my own physical therapy at and honestly learning anatomy is one of my favorite things which I had done a lot with the people I was working with so I thought I might as well have stayed for the summer) now if this is relevant to mention anymore...not sure
  • In two major clubs (Now we do have a Pre-Optometry club on our campus BUT I feel like taking on another club might be too much. Also before the international medical club, I had joined a pre-med club cause I swore I thought I wanted to do med school, but I feel like if I switch to another club again it might make me look wishy-washy/non-committed on my applications unless I'm being paranoid)
    • First is a women's mentorship club, we work with a lot of troubled youth, do work in underserved communities, and we do especially a lot of service for POC environments (hoping to apply for leadership this upcoming semester and I believe I have a good chance but certainly don't want to be cocky)
    • Second is an international medical club, same thing of working with a lot of underserved communities, doing volunteering/working with non-profits, go on trips as well to various countries to do clinical work/volunteering
Speaking with an advisor soon on other things I could do on campus to strengthen my application even further so by the time I take the OAT (hopefully getting a good score...) I feel comfortable. I'm just hoping I could of course get the input now about how I'm doing so far - definitely does not feel like enough. Especially since I don't have any research under my belt a lot of what I'm doing right now feels fairly useless. Since I know I'll be out of my school as well in 3 years, I feel like I'll blink and that's it - no more chances, no acceptance to Optometry School - life over. Obviously, my life isn't over, but I definitely have the pressure of my parents not wanting to deem me as a failure if I don't get into grad school right after undergrad. Personally, I don't mind it since I feel I go crazy without having a clear objective in life which is what academia fulfills for me so eh.
You have a very impressive CV. There is nothing you can really do to increase your odds of acceptance. My only recommendation is to have fake interviews with persons who are not family members and then let them critique you. Assuming the school you are applying to is still conducting interviews, you should practice for it. You have the best grades and the best extracurriculars, but if the interview is bad, that can significantly decrease your changes of acceptance. I would suggest slow it down, enjoy life a bit more, maintain your grades

Have you done any outreach to the optometry schools on your list? You should be contacting the admissions offices to get you connected to some of their student ambassadors. (Most of them are very friendly to prospects.) No way we can give you a sense of your chances without an OAT and a sense of your math/physics skills.