Am I too old to go to Optometry School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rwbil

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently 46 years old and am thinking about becoming an Optometrist. I have an Electrical Engineering degree with about a 3.3 GPA back in 1984. I would have to take some of the Pre-Requisites. I believe I have the drive and ability to be successful in Optometry School. Unfortunately, I have never had a passion for engineering; sitting in a cubicle analyzing data. I have always thought about being an Optometrist. I love talking with and helping people and I enjoy science. I am the kind of person who needs to work. I see myself working until the day I die, so hopefully I will have many years to practice in the field. I am a saver and investor and now have the means to pay for and pursue Optometry School. My question is two parts. 1) How difficult is it for someone of my age and GPA to get accepted and 2) Will I be the oldest person in the school? Age should not matter, but I think I might feel out of place in a class of 20 year olds. I would really appreciate hearing from anybody else in or thinking about Optometry school, who are close to my age and their experience.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm 24 years old, so I know I'm not someone you would like to hear from. This may sound idealistic, but don't be one of those people who thinks about what they want to do. Call admissions and talk to their counselors.

I wouldn't listen to the previous poster. There's a student at Pacific University that is 64.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think you are too old, you are never too old to accomplish something you want in life. I am 26, and will be 27 once I get into Optometry school, I know the average age is 23-25, but that doesn't worry me. I just look at the up side of it, you will have alot more life experience and maturity. Do it!!!!!

You're not too old, go for it!

You are def not too old. Besides, at UMSL one of the students that gave the campus tour was older. Not sure exactly how old but I would guess upper thirties and he said he doesn't mind it at all and he likes being the older one.

I am currently 46 years old and am thinking about becoming an Optometrist. I have an Electrical Engineering degree with about a 3.3 GPA back in 1984. I would have to take some of the Pre-Requisites. I believe I have the drive and ability to be successful in Optometry School. Unfortunately, I have never had a passion for engineering; sitting in a cubicle analyzing data. I have always thought about being an Optometrist. I love talking with and helping people and I enjoy science. I am the kind of person who needs to work. I see myself working until the day I die, so hopefully I will have many years to practice in the field. I am a saver and investor and now have the means to pay for and pursue Optometry School. My question is two parts. 1) How difficult is it for someone of my age and GPA to get accepted and 2) Will I be the oldest person in the school? Age should not matter, but I think I might feel out of place in a class of 20 year olds. I would really appreciate hearing from anybody else in or thinking about Optometry school, who are close to my age and their experience.

Your GPA looks good, and your age I think will help you gain acceptance.

So what if your too old ? I really think you can do it. You will be a lot more mature than your classmates, which isn't a bad thing at all.

Now, what I would recommend is to post in other forums, i.e DENTAL/MED/PHARM etc to get an idea of how people who are your age dealt with the apparent problems you have described. This will give you more probable answers.

I know you have decided to pursue Optometry but you should take a look at previous threads in the pre-optometry and optometry sub-forums to get a more concrete depiction of the profession as well as it's postives/negatives and future challenges/problems.

Good-luck ! :thumbup:

LOL. If he truly wants it and feels like it'll enrich his life, then why not? It's his decision, and he's got a lot more experience at... life..than a lot of us. Who are we to say he can't do something, anyway? If he thinks he can handle it, then I say.. Go for it. Live your life to the fullest :)

and ditto to what gochi said, btw! Beat me to it lol

Well, by the time u graduate you'll be 50, so consider if the money blow is going to cause u more grief than its worth. So unless ur EXTREEMLY motivated enough to have success with it you need to outweigh the costs of the education vs what your family needs from you and how successful you plan to be. I don't think you're too old if you have a passion but, 46 is kind of late to start professional school exp if they want you to retake courses and what not to know for sure...theres a lot of factors that should go into that.

if you're single and you have a good nest egg and/or your kids/family are self sufficient enough then go for it

Umm, hello, 46? He would be 50/51 by the time he graduates (ignoring a residency, then it would be 51/52). Add on a year of getting the pre-reqs need and now we're even higher; 52/53. If you have a family, house, etc, and other financial and time responsibilities, that's going to suck. You haven't been to school in a very long time, and that will be a huggggge adjustment with the go-go-go style of learning necessary here. And being in class with people less than half your age is going to take a lot of adjusting as well. The oldest people in the class are usually in their 30s and more often than not that's like one person. Optometry is mostly biological sciences based and your background doesn't support that either. Add in getting the necessary experiences, volunteering, etc, and now it'll take you even longer to be 'applicant ready'. So now we're looking at mid 50s as your ETA. I can't say I support this, sorry.

Since when was being in your 50s considered "old"? :confused:

Also OP, if its been >10 years or something like that since you finished introductory sciences then I'm afraid you must take them again, which could take upto a year or so...

Members don't see this ad :)
welcome to the optometry forums.

you're not too old. if you have the passion you can do it. you mentioned the nest egg.... take a picture of it.....but that tells me that the $$$ issue is not a surprise to you and that's a good thing. for more info on subjects specific to entering optometry ie courses, what schools are like, boards, interviews... check out optometry forums.

to get an idea of what being a non-traditional student is like and to share the suffering and strategic plans, check out the non-traditional student forum. i would not be surprised to find a thread there for engineers-who-are-now dents/mds/etc-thread.

:luck:

Since when was being in your 50s considered "old"? :confused:

It isn't. Being in your fifties is considered to be older. If your 65 years or older and reside in the states then you are considered to be "old"

I think you should go for it. My dad is in his 40's and is looking to completely change his career as well - he's been a truck driver for 20+ years and wants to try something new! You're not too old to try something different. Yes, it'll be a lot of work but if it's something you really want to do, it'll be worth it.

I wanted to thank everyone for their comments. I also wanted to add some information based on the comments I received.

1) Financial Concerns - I have invested in both Real Estate and the Stock market for over 25 years now and I am not a spender, so I am lucky enough that I could retire early. I had thought about just doing that, but somehow twiddling my thumbs all day counting my rent and dividend checks does not seem very rewarding. I know I am exaggerating a bit here to make a point, but I think I would get very bored after a few months in retirement. If making as much money as possible was my concern, I would just continue at my current job making a six figure salary and continue investing the money.
2) Age Concerns - Fonzie makes a good point that by the time I obtain my pre-reqs and complete Optometry School I would be in my early 50's. But I view this slightly differently. Lets say I do not go to Optometry School, well in 5-6 years I will still be in my 50s. In other words I will be in my 50s no matter what. The question is when I am in my early 50s, I could be starting what I hope to be an exciting and fulfilling career as an Optometrist or not. As a side note, I work out regularly and eat health so I hope to live at least into my 80s. The one nice feature about being an Optometrist is that when I do get older (not early 50s) I could work part-time. One think I have noticed is that when you are young time seems to pass very slowly, but as you get older time seems to pass by fast. By the time you get to be 46, 5 to 6 years goes by very quickly. By the way Bobbio, is there really a student in your classes that is 64. How is he/she doing??
3) Could I hack going back to School Full Time – This is an excellent point and even though I have taken courses over the years, I have not gone back to school on a full time basis in over 20 years. But I do work a full time job as a System Analyst developing mathematical models, simulation, and coding in both MATLAB and C++. I have one co-worker in his 40's going back school to get his PhD in Mathematics and another co-worker in his 50's going back to school to get his PhD in Engineering. I am thinking that when I go back to college and take the pre-reqs it will give me a good idea of what it will be like going back to school with people in their 20s and determine how difficult it will be. I am actually looking forward to taking Biology, because I never took it in College. One question for the forum; I was thinking about taking the pre-reqs at the 2 year college just down the street. I was going to call the Optometry School about this, but does anyone know if taking the pre-reqs at a 2 year school is looked at differently than if I take them at a 4 year school? I also need to check if they will accept the courses I took 20 years ago.
4) Is Optometry the Best Career Choice for me – Pillow102 makes a great point about talking to the counselors and making sure this is a fit for me. I also read on the forum about shadowing a DR. I do not want to go back to school for 5-6 years, become an Optometrist, to just find out I do not enjoy the field. When I think about the sort of careers, I think I would enjoy, Optometry comes to the top of my list, but I have never worked in an Optometrist office. So I think when I am taking my pre-reqs I will try volunteering or shadowing an Optometrist. I assume most of the students going through Optometry School are going because they believe they will find it a rewarding career and not for the money. I am reading the forum about the plusses and minus about being an Optometrist, but I would like to hear people's experiences in this area.

rwbil,

I don't currently attend Pacific University but visited the Optometry School just last week and saw the statistics for the previous year's entering class. The class profile on their website also indicates that the age range for their 2011 class is between 20-63. That being said, you shouldn't feel like it's too late. When my wife attended pharmacy school there was a lady that was in her 60's - so it's pretty common.
Community college credits should be okay (or at least with the colleges I have checked); however, you may want to check with the school of your choice just to be certain. Much like you, I'm also switching careers. I used to work in software development and am currently in my 3rd quarter of my pre-reqs.
Good luck!

I went back to Pacific at the age of 46, and I was the oldest by a couple years, and graduated 10 years ago. There were two others in their 40's. The academic part was no problem- it was a challenge, but I was near the top of the class and did better on the NBEO than most of my classmates. I have an MS in geology so had to take lots of prereqs. The time limit for prereqs did not apply to me; some of them were over 10 years old. Also, I bombed the OAT, but still got it because I was older. The crucial point, though, is: do you really want to do this? The only way to find out is to visit different types of practices, like low vision, vision therapy, primary care, hospital based, contact lens, group, solo, etc. I did not do this, only worked in a vision therapy practice, so did not understand how medically-oriented optometry has gotten. So I am working in my old profession of geology and only practice optometry part-time after a couple years full-time. I may practice part-time after I retire, but don't really know. Financially, this has not been a good move, but it was something I wanted to do for a challenge and to give myself options, which it has done. I do enjoy optometry a lot, but not at the frantic pace it requires for me to make as much as I make now as a geologist. I enjoy doing it part-time. Many of my classmates are struggling, even after 10 years. Its a tough road for many, especially to open a private practice. Better to join a group when you are older i think.

Hope this helps. Best of luck. Please do not avoid the experience part, volunteer, work in an office, anything to get a GOOD feel for what its really like. If you still like it, I say go for it.

Dr. Herb

You are absolutely not too old to become an optometrist. I currently work for a doctor now that graduated when she was 45. She's extremely happy with her choice for going back to school and she is a very successful doctor today.

In all honesty, with the current problems optometry has, I seriously would not enroll in optometry school if I were 30+.

I'm right there with ya. Just turned 40. I've been an Optician, ABOC for years. People think I'm the doctor when I do the pre-testing (not because they are ignorant, I'm very professional and know my job well). Becoming an optometrist has been in the back of my mind for years (way, way back). Completing my degree and then seeking graduate school always seemed like too much on top of everything else going on in my life.

Now I have 3 kids, a house, a dog, 2 chickens, an almost full-time job and my hubby is the one telling me I should go for it. I never, ever voiced an interest in pursuing optometry school to anyone. It has always been my private in the back of my head thought, kinda like a secret dream.

In the last week I had 4 people tell me I should do it. All initiated from them, not me. One patient, two recent ICO graduates and my hubby. I took that as a sign and I'm now pursuing it with gusto!

I was a business major, close to done, but not quite. So I basically have to take ALL of the pre-req's. If I can swing it, it looks like a 2 years before I can enter. And that is with full loads of all science and math! I'll apply the first time without my BS, as soon as I have the prerequisites complete. If I don't get in, them I'll doctor up my coursework with higher science courses or retake the OATs.

With a family, the only school I will go to is ICO (I'm in Chgo). If I don't get in there, then it's not happening. So my plan is going to be well thought out. I just registered for courses I KNOW I need to start with. I have very little science and all of my math was for business majors. Next week I go to ICO to meet with an advisor with my unofficial transcript. They'll tell me what I need to have, what grades I need to achieve and what I can take at a 2 year and what I should take at a 4 year. I'll also find out more about what I should strive for on the OATs.

I'll follow-up along the way, checking in with ICO after every few terms with my updated transcripts. I'll make sure I have time to take the OATs twice before the deadlines (should I find I need to up my score from the first attempt). I have every intention of getting accepted my first shot in.

So will my age hold me back...NO!

I'm just going to do everything right the first time. No dropping classes because something else in life gets in the way. No pushing off registration and getting closed out of the next class I need. No taking classes in the wrong order so I am not able to complete pre-req's in a timely fashion. Basically no time to be a kid going to school again.

Will it interfere with my family, Yes~ But, I'm setting a great example for my children. I'm going to make them a part of my education. I'll be doing my homework right along side them. Hopefully they'll appreciate that their homework only takes an hour or so a night after seeing what I am taking on.

I see 40 as giving me advantages and I'm gonna use them! If your heart is in it, go for it! Only you can decide.

AND stop asking other people! My just telling other people I get both extremes. The people who are negative about the idea are just jealous that you have the tenacity to try. The ones that are excited for you, those are the ones you need to keep close to you. They will keep you going when it gets tough. The negative Nellies, only tell your highs, your supportive friends and family you can tell everything.

Ok, I can go on forever. Please share with us what you've decided. If you go for it, I'm here with you. Once I make a decision on a project I go full out! So Chemistry, Medical Terminology and Calculus here I come!

You definitely have the passion and motivation for a career in optometry. Be sure to continue with a daily feasible routine with your school work and family life, and you should be fine. Good luck with your pre-reqs and OAT...I'm sure you'll do great. ICO will be lucky to have you.

I also did not even consider optometry until after I graduated with my BS, but THANK GOD I had every pre-req done for the only school I was willing to attend. But kudos to you for being willing to take all the pre-reqs from scratch! I couldn't imagine having to do all that after already having a bachelors, plus you have a family WOW. I know how it feels to have only 1 school as an option for you for whatever reason, but it can work out. It did for me.

I absolutely think that you should pursue this if you do the proper research and find that your idea of the profession matches with the realities of the profession. Who cares if you are above some imaginary threshold that society has deemed as "the right age"? If you have the passion, you're willing to put the time and effort in, and the financial aspect is not much of an issue, then you could become just as qualified, if not more so than any other applicant.

You are only as young as you feel, and clearly you're up for the challenge.

I remember taking this statistics course as an undergrad in college about 5 years ago. One day we were studying double blind studies and the example the professor used was a polio vaccinations experiment performed somewhere in Kansas in the 1950's. Then after briefly going over the make-up of the experiment, the professor asked the class a question regarding the results of the study. No one knew an answer except for this middle-aged man who raised his hand and gave a very descriptive response. The professor was surprised at this man's in-depth explanation and asked how he knew something like this? The man replied, "I was in the experiment!"

Basically what I'm trying to say is there is no age limitation on when you can go back to school. This man in his mid 50's at the time was naturally adjusting or at least had us fooled. I later found out that he was planning on going to pharmacy school as well. He still had a ways to go as he was only a sophomore at the time!

I think as long as you have done the research, know what you want and have the motivation you will be fine.

really, the only question you should be asking yourself is that are you willing to accumulate 200k in debt and not make enough to pay that off after you graduate?

I've never wanted to be anything but an optometrist since junior year of high school. I enrolled at UMSL in Pre-Optometry. I was awarded a curator's scholarship. I basically had this career handed to me for the taking and I threw it away.

I ended up leaving school. I've been in one dead end job after another since then. I've recently been working on going back, but I had the same concerns as the original poster. I'm only 32, but I still have to finish my bachelors degree. I would probably be entering Optometry school at 35 or 36.

I want to do this. I'm in the process of mending some of those bridges I burnt all those years ago. But now it's going to be so much harder. I have 2 children now. I will have to move back to St.Louis and deal with the cost of living there. Financial aid is still not guaranteed at this point. I have bad credit from all of these years of not living up to my potential.

But I will contend with each obstacle as necessary because I need this. I feel I'm finally back on the intended course for my life.

I'm 24 years old, so I know I'm not someone you would like to hear from. This may sound idealistic, but don't be one of those people who thinks about what they want to do. Call admissions and talk to their counselors.

:thumbup: Best thing to do is call the schools themselves and ask!

my friend is 32 and she is applying. Last year I also met someone in his early 30s. He applied this round that is soon ending and got accepted to a few schools--don't know which he chose. I am sure if you have the passion, age does not even matter.

Hello,
Please take this for what it is worth. I am 36 years old, and have just finished optometry school. I had some of the same concerns regarding being able to keep up with the course work. The first semester was my most challenging. However, it wasn't the material that made it challenging. It was the volume of material I had to manage. Mentally, I was able to jump right back into the coursework. Financially, you have a lot to consider. Optometry school can cost anywhere from 0 to
>$200, 000. Overall, don't live life with regrets. If you feel you need this then go for it.

Would you mind feeling out of place in the class full of 20 year olds? Majority of Opt students are young, and social network is nothing like undergrad.

Would you mind feeling out of place in the class full of 20 year olds? Majority of Opt students are young, and social network is nothing like undergrad.

You do realize the OP posted this back in March of 2008. but i guess there might be some older folks out there lurking.

You do realize the OP posted this back in March of 2008. but i guess there might be some older folks out there lurking.

When I stared school in 1996, I had done the traditional college thing in that I went to optometry school straight from undergraduate. I anticipated that most of my classmates would be close in age to me.

As it turned out, I think I was the 3rd youngest person in my class of 70. I was 22 and I think the median age starting was something like 28.

I dont know if this is relevent, but Im a third year student at PUCO and Im 68 y/o. It's been fun working with the younger folk...Im thinking your pretty young yet!

I disagree with everyone that says that you're too old. You're clearly motivated, are an engineer and therefore scientifically inclined, and are not "old" if you're only halfway or so through your working life. Admittedly, I imagine the challenges of going to school in a class full of people from a different generation, but if you're okay with that, they will be too. During my undergrad, we had a large number of non-traditional students in our program, and I thought they were awesome. Unlike many of the people my own age, these people were inspiring because they were extremely driven. It seems like this is you, too. That's an admirable characteristic at any age. If you have the time and money to pursue your dreams, consider yourself lucky, and go for it! :)

When I stared school in 1996, I had done the traditional college thing in that I went to optometry school straight from undergraduate. I anticipated that most of my classmates would be close in age to me.

As it turned out, I think I was the 3rd youngest person in my class of 70. I was 22 and I think the median age starting was something like 28.

You would be right at home at SUNY - median age is 23.

I'm 24 years old, so I know I'm not the one you want to hear. This sounds ideal, but not one of those people who think they matter in the end how you think. Call admission and with their counselors.

Are you serious? There IS a student at Pacific University who is 64 years old? Was this recent or a long time ago? Do you know this person? I am so discouraged at my career prospects due to my age but I'm also getting sick and tired of hearing people say "don't do this" because you are "too old". Well, why not? My brain is good. My hands are good. My current optometrist is 90! So why not? And even if I went to school and graduated 4 years later at age 55, big deal? I could work until I die.. so if I die at 60, I will have 5 years of working happy and making decent money and if I die at 70, then 15,.. etc.

How can I find out about more older students?? That would be amazing and great. Thanks!! And thanks for posting!

All this negativity holds so many people down and your post is positive!

I say do whatever makes you happy. There are people in my school of varying age around 21-35 so even if you are older then why not. Its more fun to learn new things in school than to work in some deadend job. If you can hack the studying then I say go for it! Most people just say you shouldn't do it because young brains absorb information easier but everyone is different so really its your own personal decision.

Just like there are some Optometrists that finish/start optometry school and go back to medical school just because they learned they want to do surgery. They don't mind the extra 8 years of education because it is what makes them happy.

Are you serious? There IS a student at Pacific University who is 64 years old? Was this recent or a long time ago? Do you know this person? I am so discouraged at my career prospects due to my age but I'm also getting sick and tired of hearing people say "don't do this" because you are "too old". Well, why not? My brain is good. My hands are good. My current optometrist is 90! So why not? And even if I went to school and graduated 4 years later at age 55, big deal? I could work until I die.. so if I die at 60, I will have 5 years of working happy and making decent money and if I die at 70, then 15,.. etc.

How can I find out about more older students?? That would be amazing and great. Thanks!! And thanks for posting!

All this negativity holds so many people down and your post is positive!

Most of the schools post their age range someplace on their website. But if not, feel free to call the admissions offices to ask them.

I will be a couple years older than my peers (entering at age 26). I took some summer classes at a larger public university during undergrad where it was common to have non-traditional students in their 40's, 50's, 60's and beyond. I loved hearing their thoughts on life, because they clearly had a lot more experiences to draw from than me! My mom is also a professor (social work) and frequently has students going back to school for a complete career change. Why not? It IS about doing what you enjoy! Age shouldn't factor into that at all.

One thing to keep in mind though is your timeline and finances. If you want to open your own practice, you may not be in the black until 10 years after opening it, THEN you get to start counting things as profit. I'd say that's a typical time frame, but not the only one. I've certainly heard about wildly successful practices straight out of the door - might depend on your entrepreneurial knowledge (of which I have none =P). You can join a group practice. Again, the typical thing here is that it takes some time to make money that way. From what I've heard, you are usually hired on just part time - maybe a day or two a week (so you'd have to work in multiple offices). They are only paying you the equivalent of somewhere between $40k and $80k - not the 6 figures you read as the average salary. It's not great pay - but the idea behind it is that you sort of apprentice (because you need to build up more experience than what you can gain in 4 years of opt school) and they want to make sure they like working with you before you become a partner. $40k is plenty for one person to live off of in my opinion (certainly so if you have no financial obligations like loans or family), but that's really meager to pay back loans from. So just know that now. And start job searching in your first year of optometry school if that's what you decide to pursue. Find offices you like and work there part time during school (like on Saturdays). I've heard of lots of students getting jobs that way (and usually earning much more on that pay range). Last thing is that you can go commercial. If you aren't set on the idea of opening your own practice, then that's the way to make money fastest right out of school. There are disadvantages to it too, but just another option. If you shadow a doctor in each of those kinds of practices for a day, then you will have a much cleared picture of the pros and cons and which ones you could see yourself doing! I don't think age would be a reason that you have to choose any one of the above, but it depends on your timeline for how much you want to be earning in order to make a good decision financially.

Best of luck!!

You are not alone, I am 43, going to get in when I turn 44:xf:

Hey there, did you notice that all the people in their twenties are saying don't do it, and all the ones in their thirties and above are saying go for it...I read somewhere that said something along the lines of you'll turn older no matter what, wouldn't you rather go for it, vs being 50 and wondering what if?? Alot of people are mentioning social networks, welll that is nice and all, but it will be you who will either throw away the education or strive and succeed and graduate, not only that but after school is done and ten years from then how many are you truly going to stay friends with, probably not many..In addition to those people talking about the cost, the poster said that they can take on the cost, since they have the means..my vote is go for it

Hey there, did you notice that all the people in their twenties are saying don't do it

I am 23 and I say do it. Nice job on the generalizing.

My views on the future of optometry are no secret on here, but I think you'd have to be borderline insane to consider optometry in your mid 40s. Sorry, but that's just how I feel given the situation. It's bad enough for those who will be starting off in their 20s, let alone someone 20 years further along in life.

If you could somehow get out of optometry school with little to no debt, you're willing to work in a walmart or similar setting, and you're willing to relocate to a new city, possibly to a place most would find undesirable, you might be ok. You're going to be carrying student loan debt into your late 60s, something that makes me cringe even thinking about it now that I'm under it myself.

It's not just optometry, it's a lot of grad programs that can't support the enormous cost students incur. Optometry just isn't what it seems on the surface. There's political turmoil going on right now that will only serve to make things worse in the foreseeable future. Among a host of other problems, it's a profession that doesn't have room for any more professionals, and it's been that way even since I started school. What's even better is the fact that the problem will only be compounded with these new programs popping up with no purpose other than to profit from students abilities to pay tuition via student loans.

If you pick optometry with an idealistic view of the profession in your mind, I promise you, you'll be disappointed with what you get on the other side of graduation. Optometry school is not easy and going through it so you can come out and fight tooth-and-nail just to pay your loans is not fun. If I were in your shoes, I'd look for a profession with a more solid future. I know it's not what you want to hear, but it's the truth.

My views on the future of optometry are no secret on here, but I think you'd have to be borderline insane to consider optometry in your mid 40s. Sorry, but that's just how I feel given the situation. It's bad enough for those who will be starting off in their 20s, let alone someone 20 years further along in life.

If you could somehow get out of optometry school with little to no debt, you're willing to work in a walmart or similar setting, and you're willing to relocate to a new city, possibly to a place most would find undesirable, you might be ok. You're going to be carrying student loan debt into your late 60s, something that makes me cringe even thinking about it now that I'm under it myself.

It's not just optometry, it's a lot of grad programs that can't support the enormous cost students incur. Optometry just isn't what it seems on the surface. There's political turmoil going on right now that will only serve to make things worse in the foreseeable future. Among a host of other problems, it's a profession that doesn't have room for any more professionals, and it's been that way even since I started school. What's even better is the fact that the problem will only be compounded with these new programs popping up with no purpose other than to profit from students abilities to pay tuition via student loans.

If you pick optometry with an idealistic view of the profession in your mind, I promise you, you'll be disappointed with what you get on the other side of graduation. Optometry school is not easy and going through it so you can come out and fight tooth-and-nail just to pay your loans is not fun. If I were in your shoes, I'd look for a profession with a more solid future. I know it's not what you want to hear, but it's the truth.

I can't imagine doing this at 40. You'll be using your social security income to pay your student loans off.

I can't imagine doing this at 40. You'll be using your social security income to pay your student loans off.

Ya, I wouldn't do it either unless this is absolutely what I've been dreaming of for the past 10 years or so and/or I had so much money in my savings where paying tuition is no problem.

Ya, I wouldn't do it either unless this is absolutely what I've been dreaming of for the past 10 years or so and/or I had so much money in my savings where paying tuition is no problem.

Whatever happened to....

Shnurek said:
I am 23 and I say do it. Nice job on the generalizing.

It's really easy to say "Yeah man - go for it!" He's the one that's going to have to live with the consequences of an expensive OD.

The running theme on SDN is for pre-opts to get on and high-five each other about optometry. It's a lot harder to give someone news they don't want hear. This isn't 1980, it's 2012 and the world that new ODs are entering is bad enough right now, let alone in 4-6 years after even more changes have taken place and we have even more schools on the horizon.