Am I too old to start getting into Pharmacy School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ekeosi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
is 27 years old too late to start pharmacy?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I will be 29 soon and I am a P1 student and there are many students in my class that are 30+.

So, NO, you are not too old or old.........:)

Reactions: 1 user

Pfft. Youngin'. There's a thread around here somewhere about how old people are when they start pharmacy school - you should check it out.

If you start pharmacy now - worst case scenario, we'll assume a bachelor's degree. 4 + 4 = 35 when you get out. At least 30 working years, more if you're lucky / want to work. Isn't that worth it?

These threads pop up every few months(hint: search before you post). The consensus is always "No". Then someone jumps in and points out older people in their class then the OP. Proceed :D

Reactions: 1 users

If you are too old then I might as well just dig a hole and crawl in. I turn 38 in December and will be applying. Meaning, even if I get selected first try, I will be 42 when I get my PharmD. :scared:

Last edited:
I think it is actually too old to go school. You should marry and have children.

You are a buffoon. I have 2 kids, I am 30 years old, and I am applying to pharm school this next cycle. I have maintained a 3.98 gpa in all of my science/mathematics, and I work part time. Oh, and I am married.

Getting married and having children does not separate you from the opportunity to go to school.

You are a buffoon. I have 2 kids, I am 30 years old, and I am applying to pharm school this next cycle. I have maintained a 3.98 gpa in all of my science/mathematics, and I work part time. Oh, and I am married.

Getting married and having children does not separate you from the opportunity to go to school.
Somebody needs to lighten up. :laugh:

Oh yes, 27 is wayyyy too old. You obviously won't have 30-35 years to practice when you get out.

I had a "student" in my class that started when he was 52. Yes 52 years old. Dude was a beast in class. He drove a few hours to see his wife every weekend and still was top 20% in the class.

Dude you're asking about starting pharmacy? Well I just think that I should tell you that

YOU'RE

TOO OLD FOR LIFE. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also a geriatric 29. But I agree with some of the others. 27 is too decrepit to go to pharmacy school.
In all honesty, I could not do what I do now at 20. I also work, go to school and have two children. One of which is 9 months old and up at least twice a night. I had her last November and then came back for finals. I am a beast.

I'm a married, 32 year old P1. So far I haven't had any problems maneuvering my walker through the classroom. :) Probably around 10-15% of my class is older than me.

Well....I am 43 and I will get accepted and I will start Pharmacy school in the fall of 2012 when I will be 44. You are never too old to suffer. :thumbup:

43? Jeez, at that age you should be making up a last will and testament. :smuggrin:

I'm actually one of the older guys in my class, and I think our oldest is close to 40. Nice thing about being in a professional program is that you have a pretty diverse spread of people with regard to age, background, you name it.

Well....I am 43 and I will get accepted and I will start Pharmacy school in the fall of 2012 when I will be 44. You are never too old to suffer. :thumbup:

43? Holy crap! I think you and I better get some matching Hoverounds and get custom flames painted on so we can race the blue hairs down the hallways at the hospital... :poke:

young kids all think the sky is falling......try giving up a $50,000/yr job cold turkey and changing your life so your family survives on $17,000/yr and get out of community college where you took your pre-reqs owing $20,000 already....to sign up for 4 more years and $150,000+ more in debt at 43yrs old. Then try being the guy who also has had a 5 way bypass....kids....come on tough guys...you only get one chance at this world.

I just met a guy who's applying to med school this coming summer and he'll be 18 years old !!! :eek::eek::eek:

What's wrong with being too old? Old people can learn too. I read an article for once in my life that states the older you get the more capable you are at learning.

Anyways, you're not too old.

I just met a guy who's applying to med school this coming summer and he'll be 18 years old !!! :eek::eek::eek:

What's wrong with being too old? Old people can learn too. I read an article for once in my life that states the older you get the more capable you are at learning.

Anyways, you're not too old.

Nice picture. :)

Was his name Dougie, by any chance?

I actually forgot his name :laugh:
But I know his name wasn't Dougie, his name was something like Jonathan or Kevin
So there are more of them.

I'm 56 and still have a 2 or 3 years of prereqs to do, while working full time. Not sure if I am crazy or what, and concerned about getting into pharm school because of my age. Also about getting hired afterwards. But I'm in pretty good shape (marathoner) which should help, I hope

I'm 56 and still have a 2 or 3 years of prereqs to do, while working full time.

Way to go!!! One of my classmates is 61, and he's taking pre-reqs for PA School. It's never too late.
Play up your life experience when you apply, as that is the factor that sets you apart from the rest of the applicant pool.

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm having fun pursuing the dream and can always fall back on my current career if Pharmacy doesn't work out. But I really think it will work out :rolleyes:

No, definitely not. There's a couple of people in my class in the 29-32 age range (and I'm in year 3). Age is irrelevant. Plus, if you spent your previous 7 years doing something valuable, then that's something to be proud of, since you had more experience than most of us who went straight to pharmacy right after undergrad. :)

When classes started, I noticed we had a good number of very attractive ladies in our class... I was pretty excited about this, until I realized that most 20 - 22-year-olds would consider a 30-year old hitting on them to be creepy. :lame:

23 right now. When I graduate I will be 27 >>. A lot of 19 year olds in my pharmacy school lol. Older people are cool, they bring more diversity to the school. A lot of the 19 year olds think Im old already.

When classes started, I noticed we had a good number of very attractive ladies in our class... I was pretty excited about this, until I realized that most 20 - 22-year-olds would consider a 30-year old hitting on them to be creepy. :lame:

I guess I am really SOL then... 37 :(

There is no age limit as long as you are willing to learn.

Reactions: 2 users
You shouldnt let age restrict what you want to study. That time is going to pass anyways, so why quit now?

When you start asking "am I too old?", it means you're too old.

I would never call anybody else too old, only those who think they may be too old win that designation. It's a self-designated title. You still have time to get rid of that title, if you want to.

assuming you have a condition that wont let you live past 30 yes way to old

Keeping a 2011 post alive lol

I don't think Age should be a factor into desiring to go back to school. It is all about your determination and your willingness to learn new material. AGE should not be a factor in what you desire to do with your life; by the time you get out you are basically doing the same thing that others are doing...working and working and enjoying it.

I've been finding that 27 -30 is just right to start pharmacy. I have so many idiotic peers all of which are younger or the product of 2-4 admittance; honestly if I was on the admissions committee I would not have admitted 90% of them.

I wonder if the OP ended up going to pharmacy school. I'd like to see a "Where are they now" segment with some of these resurrected posts.

I've been finding that 27 -30 is just right to start pharmacy. I have so many idiotic peers all of which are younger or the product of 2-4 admittance; honestly if I was on the admissions committee I would not have admitted 90% of them.

I agree on the 2-4 admittance, and I have also observed similar trends. Hence, I think the requirement of a bachelor's degree at the time of matriculation is long overdue...

I agree on the 2-4 admittance, and I have also observed similar trends. Hence, I think the requirement of a bachelor's degree at the time of matriculation is long overdue...

Nah :) :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Very late with the post. So I assume the OP is 32 now, is he/she complete with school? Who knows. but I just turned 31 and Im in yr 1 of prereq. So imagine how I feel. LOL. But lucky for me (I guess!?!?) I completed all my electives earlier. But again, if you keep health, activity and a positive mind. Everything else will fall in place.