Am I wasting my time applying this year? Nontrad student looking for advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOhopeful73

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
A little background information: I graduated from a university of california school with a degree in biological sciences 5 years ago. I managed a GPA of 2.6 (yikes I know). Since then I worked briefly as an EMT before becoming an ER scribe. I have worked in a total of 3 hospitals and now am working as a clinical information manager (basically a promoted scribe). Prior to starting my current post bac I took the mcat for the first time while being out of school for 4 years and scored a 503 (126/126/125/126).

I have been very successful in my post bac. Classes are listed below and have been taken at my alma matter (University of California) where I initially did poorly during my undergrad years. I have maintained this GPA while working as an ER scribe doing 3 shifts a week, maintaining financial independence, and conducting my own clinical research associated with an academic trauma center. In fact I have written my own research proposal and will be performing a retrospective chart review in the upcoming weeks.

This is in addition to my ~4000 hours of clinical experience. My winter schedule will consist of biochemistry, human genetics, and an additional neuro physiology class. Currently I have 31 units at a 4.0 sGPA. By the end of Spring 19 i will have amassed 51 units of post bac GPA hopefully also at a 4.0.

My question to you, am I on track for being a successful applicant this year? What else should I do, realistically I do not have much time for proper MCAT preparation as my school/work/research schedule has me at near capacity as is? I have ~300-400 volunteer hours in the ER and I helped a homeless association for a year time frame before starting my post bac.

I asked goro for advice and he/she said I was looking strong. I just wanted other people's perspectives on this.

Summer 17
BIOL 128 Immunology - A+

Spring 18
CBNS 120 Cellular neuroscience A+
CBNS 116 Human Neuroanatomy - A+

Summer 18
CBNS 108 Intro to developmental bio - A+
CBNS 124 Systems Neuroscience - A

Fall 18
BCH110A General Biochemistry - A+
CBNS 125 Neuropharmacology - A+
BIO157 Parasitology - A

Winter 19
BCH 110B General biochemistry Part B - TBD
BIOL 115 Human Genetics - TBD
CBNS 129 Brain control of bodily functions - TBD

Thanks for your time. I appreciate any and all feedback.

@Faha @gyngyn @HinduHammer

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think it will be difficult for you to secure an acceptance before your GPA is over a 3.0. Unfortunately, that is an automatic minimum for many schools and it may be hard to get your redemption story in front of human eyes with out it. I think the rest of your app looks great for DO, though. MD is out unless you do well in an SMP, which would likely necessitate scoring higher on the MCAT prior to applying (which you could still theoretically do before their applications close in late spring).

Either way, I think you'd be smart to wait one more year. I know it's super frustrating to be so close and having to wait a whole year for just a few more credits, but it's better to apply once as a stronger applicant than to need to reapply. Addtionally, application fees, essay writing, and the stress is rough.

Your upward trend is promising but unless you knock the next MCAT out of the park you will be fighting a difficult battle. Some schools will avg your MCAT's as well, making it even worse. You are a prime candidate for academic fresh start, consider relocating to TX if you are serious about medical school. With AFS and TX residency you would be a great candidate on paper.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your upward trend is promising but unless you knock the next MCAT out of the park you will be fighting a difficult battle. Some schools will avg your MCAT's as well, making it even worse. You are a prime candidate for academic fresh start, consider relocating to TX if you are serious about medical school. With AFS and TX residency you would be a great candidate on paper.
Wouldn't academic fresh start erase his current post-bacc work as well?

Wouldn't academic fresh start erase his current post-bacc work as well?

AFS creates a black hole 10 years in the past from the moment it is declared. For example, if AFS is declared today, Jan 11th, 2019, everything PRIOR to Jan 11th, 2009 gets sucked into the black hole, while everything NEWER than Jan 11th, 2009, is safe and remains part of the application transcripts.

AFS creates a black hole 10 years in the past from the moment it is declared. For example, if AFS is declared today, Jan 11th, 2019, everything PRIOR to Jan 11th, 2009 gets sucked into the black hole, while everything NEWER than Jan 11th, 2009, is safe and remains part of the application transcripts.
Ah, I didn't realize there was a time gap. I thought it was just declaring fresh start and everything from that point and before was obliterated. Thanks for clearing that up.

While it seems to be a viable option, it does seem like a longer and lonelier road than OP's other possible paths.

Ah, I didn't realize there was a time gap. I thought it was just declaring fresh start and everything from that point and before was obliterated. Thanks for clearing that up.

While it seems to be a viable option, it does seem like a longer and lonelier road than OP's other possible paths.

Depends on what prereq's get knocked out and how quickly they retake them. Remember, prereqs don't have to be finished by the time you apply, only by the time you matriculate.

Depends on what prereq's get knocked out and how quickly they retake them. Remember, prereqs don't have to be finished by the time you apply, only by the time you matriculate.
From OP's post I gather that prereqs are done since he/she has a degree in biological sciences.