AMA! Officially enrolled at UB Dental: 2.8 cGPA, 3.0 sciGPA, 26 AA DAT/21 PAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IndianCurry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

SDN has done an awesome job helping me prepare for the DAT and the very stressful AASDAS/ADEA application, in return, I'll try to answer any questions in order to help the next wave of applicants!

Here's my background:
-Typical Asian/Brown applicant with strict parents (I know many of you are in my shoes!) in the tri-state area.
-Took 7 years to graduate with a BE in Bioengineering: after 170 credits, I had a woeful 2.6 uGPA and similar sci GPA. A LOT of D's and W's scattered across my transcripts.
-Took an additional 3.5 years of DIY post-bac courses from my local community and city college (an accredited 4 year program). I re-took intro to bio and chemistry at the 2-year level, and re-took the remaining pre-reqs at the 4-year level. My upper level science courses were a variety of BCP and included genetics, physiology, advanced inorganic + organic chemistry, Physical Chemistry 1/2, analytical + quantum mechanics, biochemistry 1/2 and physical biochemistry. After this was all said and done, I had a 3.6 weighed in at an additional 88 credits. I received NO degree out of this, by the way.
-At this point, my cGPA and scienceGPA was hovering at a 2.8. But, my confidence was at an all-time high and I used the following 1.5 months to prep for the DAT (Feb-April prep and exam). Using DAT Bootcamp and the Romano Destroyer series, I scored a 26 AA and 21 on the PAT. (Word of advice: Do NOT stress over the PAT. The other sections are MUCH MORE important.)
-Applied to BU's Dental Scholars Program and over 30 credits, had a 3.53 grad/masters GPA. My cGPA at this point was still sub 3.0, at around 2.9.
-Typical 100 hours of shadowing at a general dentist office (my personal dentist) and an orthodontist (also an old provider of mine).
-NO research publications.
-Applied EARLY, i.e. FIRST WEEK of June. I kept my list to LECOM, SUNY Buffalo, NYU, UCSF, Touro, BU, Tufts and Nova. Received an interview to NYU, LECOM and SUNY Buffalo pretty late in the game. Wait-listed to NYU and LECOM, but accepted to SUNY Buffalo.

So here I am, at the age of 33, ready to take on my 1st year of dental school at SUNY Buffalo! It's certainly going to be odd being an older student, but I'm embracing the challenges that await my future schooling and career. If you feel hopeless because of a shaky academic past, I implore you to dig deep and start doing your research NOW. Find good study habits, a small group of reliable and trustworthy friends, and outline a plan while STICKING to it. I seriously thought I was f**ked with my shaky academic background, but my confidence slowly increased with each passing year of my DIY post-bac and SMP, leading up to the DAT.

AMA!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 23 users
Congrats! I've read that BU doesn't allow prereqs to be taken at community college. This wasn't a problem for you?

Wow cool story!! I'm kind of in a similar boat although I have not completed as much coursework as you have. Do you recommend I do a post-bac program if I don't get in this application cycle (beginning in a week)?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! I've read that BU doesn't allow prereqs to be taken at community college. This wasn't a problem for you?

Nope. Not a problem as long as you retake the prerequisite courses at a 4 year, or in my case, take upper division BCP courses. The latter has a greater educational value and adcoms will look at that route more favorably.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow cool story!! I'm kind of in a similar boat although I have not completed as much coursework as you have. Do you recommend I do a post-bac program if I don't get in this application cycle (beginning in a week)?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yup, do an informal post bac program first, also called DIY. PM me if you want further details, but I ended up filling out a second Bachelor of Arts degree application for a college very close to home and I declared myself as a Physics major. Being a formal degree student is cheaper per credit than non-degree.

-Applied EARLY, i.e. FIRST WEEK of June. I kept my list to LECOM, SUNY Buffalo, NYU, UCSF, Touro, BU, Tufts and Nova. Received an interview to NYU, LECOM and SUNY Buffalo pretty late in the game. Wait-listed to NYU and LECOM, but accepted to SUNY Buffalo.

I love this thread!
Congrats on your success, IndianCurry!

I almost thought this was my own story. It's great that you actually took initiative to take those upper level classes to bring your GPA up. I was actually afraid I'd 'F' it up further, so I was very cautious about taking "challenging" classes during gap years.

what was your TS score?

Reactions: 1 users
No questions from me, but a serious congratulations. That is some very hard work and lots of patience. Good for you!

Reactions: 1 users
I almost thought this was my own story. It's great that you actually took initiative to take those upper level classes to bring your GPA up. I was actually afraid I'd 'F' it up further, so I was very cautious about taking "challenging" classes during gap years.

what was your TS score?

Thanks for the encouraging words. I was kind of backed into a wall, and this was the only way I could prove to admissions I can get s**t done.

26 AA, 23 TS, 21 PAT. I had 27 on RC and OC. 19 on Bio was my lowest grade.

No questions from me, but a serious congratulations. That is some very hard work and lots of patience. Good for you!

You will do great also! It really comes down to discipline which I lacked during my first several years at undergrad.

If anyone here is feeling less than motivated, listen to a Ted Talks podcast.

Nope. Not a problem as long as you retake the prerequisite courses at a 4 year, or in my case, take upper division BCP courses. The latter has a greater educational value and adcoms will look at that route more favorably.
So if I have all the pre-reqs taken at CC but did an SMP with upper lever sciences got around 3.7 GPA so this wouldn't automatically reject me from schools that don't accept CC credits such as BU right and congrats on your acceptance totally inspiring.

Welcome to UB :)

Reactions: 2 users
So if I have all the pre-reqs taken at CC but did an SMP with upper lever sciences got around 3.7 GPA so this wouldn't automatically reject me from schools that don't accept CC credits such as BU right and congrats on your acceptance totally inspiring.

I am guessing you did your SMP in a biology-type exposure? In that case, you do NOT need to re-take your biology pre-reqs at a 4 year.

I took Advanced Organic Chemistry, Spectroscopy, Physical Chem 1/2, Biochem 1/2, Analytical and Quantum Mechanics (Physics) at a 4 year. The reason for this: I took gen chem 1/2, organic chem 1/2, physics 1/2 at a 2 year CC. When I called up BU, the representative told me I could either re-take the pre-reqs AGAIN at a 4 year, or even better, take advanced biology, chemistry, and physics courses instead. He mentioned the latter option would make me more competitive, so long as I attained B+ or higher in those grades. That's what I ended up doing! :) I never ended up going to BU though.

You should do what I did ONLY if you really want to get into BU, or if you need extra science courses to boost your GPA. Otherwise, it's just another hurdle. I hope this answered your question.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let me add a few more points to anyone facing an uphill battle: (I will add more to this thread as time goes on!)

If you want your application to be considered, make SURE you get your cumulative and science (BCP) GPA as close to a 3.0 as possible. I would really say 2.8 is the minimum limit here, but this really should be reserved for those with an amazing upward trend. For example, 3.5-4.0 over your last 2 years.

Another point: your SMP (or masters) performance and DAT results are really the last opportunities to show admissions you can succeed in their program. For someone with a sub 3.0 GPA (like myself), I HIGHLY recommend a 3.6+ SMP GPA and 22+ AA. Back this up with a strong personal statement.

Remember: admissions committee members are human. While the application journey is competitive, a unique story (academic comeback, for example) will ABSOLUTELY help you stand out. I am proof that anyone can make it through this far. Caveat: this does not apply to anyone with a criminal background. Any employer or admissions committee will be more hesitant to take someone on to the program or company with a criminal offense than someone with a poor academic start. While bad grades only really hurts the applicant, a crime of any degree affects others in the community.

I have some time off before August: so I will definitely be happy to answer questions, comment on personal statements by PM or other means. June 1st is coming up soon, have everything ready to go guys!

First of all, congrats on all your achievements. I was wondering if your cGPA and sciGPA was a big topic of discussion during your interviews? Did you address it on your PS or did you just let your post-bac grades do the talking?

First of all, congrats on all your achievements. I was wondering if your cGPA and sciGPA was a big topic of discussion during your interviews? Did you address it on your PS or did you just let your post-bac grades do the talking?

Most of my interviews emphasized the upward trend (and the corrections I made along the way to my study habits). This makes for a great talking point during interviews if anyone else is stuck in a similar situation. (I just hope you guys don't dig yourself a hole after 170+ credits, i.e., it does not take you guys 10+ years to get into dental school! ;))

I included this in a good portion of my essay AND another part of the application where the applicant is asked if he/she had any "red-flag" academic records (probation, warning, etc.). I explained what happened initially and the changes I made to improve my grades and studying habits.

Hello IndianCurry,

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I was feeling just that -- an overwhelmingly crushing sensation of doom -- since I would be applying as a non-trad. I've been "wandering" around in life these past two years and just getting my feet wet in the great, big world of post-undergraduate life. I graduated with a chemistry and theatre double major, worked at my college theatre department for a year as an assistant technical director and am currently working as a fermentation scientist. However, I recently met a hell of a dentist that I went and shadowed for a while, and I myself have begun to re-consider the career path of dentistry. I have a cGPA of 2.94 and a BCP gpa of 2.44 (ouch). I did some calculations and I would have to take 28 credits worth of A's to bring the BCP just past 3.0. It is a relief to me to see that your plan of taking/re-taking several of the lower prereqs at a CC, then taking higher level courses at an accredited University worked out. As to which ones I should re-take, I suppose I will have to ask various admissions offices (I would rather not have to take gen chem again...).

Did you do all of your additional coursework as a full-time student, or while working? I am still trying to keep my options open (a degree in Forestry, for example. Way left field compared to Dentistry, but still), so I would rather not completely drop what I have now.

Best,
LGL

Hello IndianCurry,

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I was feeling just that -- an overwhelmingly crushing sensation of doom -- since I would be applying as a non-trad. I've been "wandering" around in life these past two years and just getting my feet wet in the great, big world of post-undergraduate life. I graduated with a chemistry and theatre double major, worked at my college theatre department for a year as an assistant technical director and am currently working as a fermentation scientist. However, I recently met a hell of a dentist that I went and shadowed for a while, and I myself have begun to re-consider the career path of dentistry. I have a cGPA of 2.94 and a BCP gpa of 2.44 (ouch). I did some calculations and I would have to take 28 credits worth of A's to bring the BCP just past 3.0. It is a relief to me to see that your plan of taking/re-taking several of the lower prereqs at a CC, then taking higher level courses at an accredited University worked out. As to which ones I should re-take, I suppose I will have to ask various admissions offices (I would rather not have to take gen chem again...).

Did you do all of your additional coursework as a full-time student, or while working? I am still trying to keep my options open (a degree in Forestry, for example. Way left field compared to Dentistry, but still), so I would rather not completely drop what I have now.

Best,
LGL

Hi LGL, as to your question: I did do all my coursework as a FT student AND working. If this is something you want to do, I suggest you keep on going and find any means possible to do well in your classes. 3.5+ from here on out. If you have any other questions, let me know (through PM or through this thread).

I forgot to mention:

-If your cGPA and sGPA is <2.7, a 30 AA DAT and 4.0 SMP GPA isn't going to do a damn thing.

-If you're in the middle of the SMP, finish that first. Hopefully (at this point), you did well in your SMP courses and retained quite a bit of knowledge. After finishing your SMP, go ahead and sign up for a bunch of upper level undergrad science classes that overlap with your SMP courses (physio, genetics, biochem, etc.) at your local university and ace them. At this point, it shouldn't be too stressful.

-One of the questions/suggestions my interviewers presented at my interview was as follows: "What happens if you don't get in this cycle?" It was suggested to me that I take additional upper level classes (no matter how trivial the GPA increase) while shadowing, volunteering and/or working. If this means getting a second bachelor's degree, go ahead and DO IT.

-If the prior option is something you can't stomach (and I don't blame you one bit for it), I believe Texas has a policy where they expunge your grades after 5 or 10 years? I had NO idea this existed, as I was told college grades and beyond stick with you for life. If I can find some more information on Texas' grade forgiveness program, I will post the link on this thread. Be aware that this option is unique to Texas.

Hope this helps!

Congrats man! That's an awesome DAT score too, any advice on how you did it in only 1.5 months?

How many hours a day were you putting in? I saw you mentioned destroyer, did you also go through it multiple times?

-If the prior option is something you can't stomach (and I don't blame you one bit for it), I believe Texas has a policy where they expunge your grades after 5 or 10 years? I had NO idea this existed, as I was told college grades and beyond stick with you for life. If I can find some more information on Texas' grade forgiveness program, I will post the link on this thread. Be aware that this option is unique to Texas.

Hope this helps!

It's called the "Academic Fresh Start." Link: http://www.collegeforalltexans.com/index.cfm?objectid=6D10C9BD-DD24-153F-90B91DA6C20D1C97

TMDSAS's take on it: https://www.tmdsas.com/dental/academic_fresh_start.htm

Congrats, by the way!

Wow. Just wow.
Major congratulations, my friend.

You deserve a Texas size high five. :highfive:

Hey everyone!

SDN has done an awesome job helping me prepare for the DAT and the very stressful AASDAS/ADEA application, in return, I'll try to answer any questions in order to help the next wave of applicants!

Here's my background:
-Typical Asian/Brown applicant with strict parents (I know many of you are in my shoes!) in the tri-state area.
-Took 7 years to graduate with a BE in Bioengineering: after 170 credits, I had a woeful 2.6 uGPA and similar sci GPA. A LOT of D's and W's scattered across my transcripts.
-Took an additional 3.5 years of DIY post-bac courses from my local community and city college (an accredited 4 year program). I re-took intro to bio and chemistry at the 2-year level, and re-took the remaining pre-reqs at the 4-year level. My upper level science courses were a variety of BCP and included genetics, physiology, advanced inorganic + organic chemistry, Physical Chemistry 1/2, analytical + quantum mechanics, biochemistry 1/2 and physical biochemistry. After this was all said and done, I had a 3.6 weighed in at an additional 88 credits. I received NO degree out of this, by the way.
-At this point, my cGPA and scienceGPA was hovering at a 2.8. But, my confidence was at an all-time high and I used the following 1.5 months to prep for the DAT (Feb-April prep and exam). Using DAT Bootcamp and the Romano Destroyer series, I scored a 26 AA and 21 on the PAT. (Word of advice: Do NOT stress over the PAT. The other sections are MUCH MORE important.)
-Applied to BU's Dental Scholars Program and over 30 credits, had a 3.53 grad/masters GPA. My cGPA at this point was still sub 3.0, at around 2.9.
-Typical 100 hours of shadowing at a general dentist office (my personal dentist) and an orthodontist (also an old provider of mine).
-NO research publications.

So here I am, at the age of 33, ready to take on my 1st year of dental school at SUNY Buffalo! It's certainly going to be odd being an older student, but I'm embracing the challenges that await my future schooling and career. If you feel hopeless because of a shaky academic past, I implore you to dig deep and start doing your research NOW. Find good study habits, a small group of reliable and trustworthy friends, and outline a plan while STICKING to it. I seriously thought I was f**ked with my shaky academic background, but my confidence slowly increased with each passing year of my DIY post-bac and SMP, leading up to the DAT.

AMA!

Did you do both DIY post-bac and SMP? Or just DIY post-bac?

Congrats man! That's an awesome DAT score too, any advice on how you did it in only 1.5 months?

How many hours a day were you putting in? I saw you mentioned destroyer, did you also go through it multiple times?

It really varied, depending on my schedule. 4-7 hours per day will keep you going without feeling burned out.

Texas is awesome. I would suggest this option for the older applicants with too many credits under their belt. A move to another state may seem intimidating, but this is a very efficient process.

Did you do both DIY post-bac and SMP? Or just DIY post-bac?

I did both.