WAMC 4.0 GPA 21 AA (suggestions needed)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heartdental

Reaction score
Date of submission: Will be applying very early this cycle
Overall GPA: 4.0 (still have 1 semester left)
Science GPA: 4.0 (still have 1 semester left)
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 4.0 (still have 1 semester left)
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 21AA/22TS (23 Orgo, 22 chem, 20 bio), 20 Reading, 18 PAT, 21 math
State of Residence: FL

Undergrad Attended:
Major: Biomedical Sciences
Minor: n/a
Minority?
Yes (African American female)
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: will have over 100 hours of general dentist shadowing from two clinics by the time I graduate, also shadowed a pediatrician and geriatrician for around 10 hours each
Volunteering Experience: 30 hours from a study abroad with the honors college to the DR (helped in underserved clinics), around 130 hours at my church, planning on volunteering at a dental clinic too
Employment: Cashier at Walgreens (average 12 hours a week)
Research: None unfortunately
Other Extracurriculars: Secretary of a club, was a chem 1 peer leader for a semester
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? No
Relevant Honors or Awards: Deans list every semester
LOR type and strength: (orgo and chem pear leader professors w, and honors professor)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:

If you have any suggestions on any things I should work on adding to my application please let me know.

If you have any suggestions for schools that I should add or remove please let me know and give me your reasoning.
I am not crazy about my DAT score (specifically my bio, reading and PAT) because I don't think it reflects the work I put in but I will not have the time to retake it this semester and still apply at a reasonable time because orgo 2 is taking up a lot of my time, and also I am not guaranteed to do better.
I am graduating in the spring (will be my third year) and will be taking gap year where I plan on getting a job at a dental clinic as being a front office desk person (was thinking I would gain experience in what its like dealing with insurance and the background of running an office) but if you have suggestions on better ways I would use my year let me know.

School list:
UF (IS- #1 choice bc of how cheap)
LECOM (IS)
NOVA (IS- very expensive)
UNC (OOS- competitive to get in but pass fail)
UAB (OOS- favors instate but close to home)
LSU (OOS- favors instate but cheap)
UCONN (OOS- favors instate but pass fail)

UNLV

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Date of submission: Will be applying very early this cycle
Overall GPA: 4.0 (still have 1 semester left)
Science GPA: 4.0 (still have 1 semester left)
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 4.0 (still have 1 semester left)
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 21AA/22TS (23 Orgo, 22 chem, 20 bio), 20 Reading, 18 PAT, 21 math
State of Residence: FL

Undergrad Attended:
Major: Biomedical Sciences
Minor: n/a
Minority?
Yes (African American female)
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: will have over 100 hours of general dentist shadowing from two clinics by the time I graduate, also shadowed a pediatrician and geriatrician for around 10 hours each
Volunteering Experience: 30 hours from a study abroad with the honors college to the DR (helped in underserved clinics), around 130 hours at my church, planning on volunteering at a dental clinic too
Employment: Cashier at Walgreens (average 12 hours a week)
Research: None unfortunately
Other Extracurriculars: Secretary of a club, was a chem 1 peer leader for a semester
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? No
Relevant Honors or Awards: Deans list every semester
LOR type and strength: (orgo and chem pear leader professors w, and honors professor)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:

If you have any suggestions on any things I should work on adding to my application please let me know.

If you have any suggestions for schools that I should add or remove please let me know and give me your reasoning.
I am not crazy about my DAT score (specifically my bio, reading and PAT) because I don't think it reflects the work I put in but I will not have the time to retake it this semester and still apply at a reasonable time because orgo 2 is taking up a lot of my time, and also I am not guaranteed to do better.

School list:
UF (IS- #1 choice bc of how cheap)
LECOM (IS)
NOVA (IS- very expensive)
UNC (OOS- competitive to get in but pass fail)
UAB (OOS- favors instate but close to home)
LSU (OOS- favors instate but cheap)
UCONN (OOS- favors instate but pass fail)

UNLV
why unlv?

Members don't see this ad :)
List seems fine, I'd maybe add Meharry and Howard in as safetys given your background and them being HBCU's.

I wouldn't include the pediatrician and geriatrician hours on the application, it's why dentistry, not medicine. You can certainly bring these experiences up if asked in an interview and make comparisons between the two careers, but no need to include in your app!

Your DAT should be just fine. I'd try to get some more volunteer hours like you're planning. You could certainly do a dentist office but it isn't required, I think volunteering with the less fortunate like homeless shelters, food pantries, soup kitchens would be looked more favorably and be more fulfilling.

Just get the app ready to go for an early June submission and you should be golden.

Reactions: 1 users
like ryxndek said you can apply for IS tuition I believe after your first year and also I heard that they get a lot of clinical hours and practice over there
there are more geographically logical schools that offer instate tuition after the first year...

there are more geographically logical schools that offer instate tuition after the first year...
Do you have any suggestions for closer schools that offer instate tuition? Also why does the location of the schools I pick matter if I am OOS?

Do you have any suggestions for closer schools that offer instate tuition? Also why does the location of the schools I pick matter if I am OOS?
yield management- OOS schools know that people with high stats are more likely to choose schools closer to home (like their IS schools), so they are less likely to offer interviews to OOS students outside of their region

i suggest you do your own research for schools that offer instate tuition...

Reactions: 2 users
Dental schools tend to have more regional class composition compared to undergrad programs because of their missions to serve their states or regions. However every dental school wants very good URM students, especially Black applicants who have metrics like the OP.

Have you networked with the NDA/SNDA chapters? See if your local or state NDA has professionals who can also mentor you. Network with schools now before you apply. Are you attending the ADEA GoDental Recruitment Fair in New Orleans?

Costs: are you considering HPSP or NHSC?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users