AMCAS and Dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JDAD

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have spent a lot of time working and volunteering at dental practices. I volunteered at a Craniofacial Pain Ceter and I have also worked as a Dental Assistant. Should those be listed on my AMCAS or should I avoid listing dental related topics?

Members don't see this ad.

JDAD said:
I have spent a lot of time working and volunteering at dental practices. I volunteered at a Craniofacial Pain Ceter and I have also worked as a Dental Assistant. Should those be listed on my AMCAS or should I avoid listing dental related topics?

Why not? I think they are valuable experiences in health care. But, DO be prepared to explain in the interview why you were so interested in dental health care (not that it's a bad thing, I still think it's a great EC).

Thanks Dara. Does anyone else have an opinion that they want to offer?

Members don't see this ad :)
JDAD said:
Thanks Dara. Does anyone else have an opinion that they want to offer?

hmmm. tricky. maybe you can gear your descriptions towards clinical experience...like taking care of the patients. what do you mean by dental assistant? and maybe if you just put one of the experiences instead of two, it wont draw attention. im assuming you were thinking about dentistry? i like the pain ctr experience more. if i were you, ide only pick one and focus the description on patient care. at either one, were the patients indigent?

hope that helps a bit.

I agree with Dara. List the experiences and be prepared for the following questions...

Why did you volunteer in this setting?
Why did you choose medicine over dentistry?
Are you also applying to dental schools? (I am not sure if this would be legal, but it is likely to come up)
If you get accepted into both a dental school and our school, which would you attend...
etc...

Write down anything meaningful on your application, just be prepared to talk about it.