AMCAS and Ohio Speeding

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Premed wrestler

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've done a search and I have seen this mentioned on several threads, but no absolute answer. I am an Ohio resident and as a Juvenile I got citations for a speeding ticket (age 17) and failure to control (age 16). I just found out that that these are classified as minor misdemeanors under Ohio's laws. I am starting the AMCAS application process now and do you have a misdemeanor is a question. Since my license was expunged after turning 18 do I still include these? Is it still considered a misdemeanor since other states don't classify it as one? And finally will I be screened out to schools if I click yes on the misdemeanor tab? I just don't want to be screened out of medical schools because of a spin out and going 10 mph over the speed limit. I would really appreciate a response from ADCOMS thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

And in most cases, speeding is considered petty or an infraction; misdemeanor is punishable by code via jail time or community service which typically, speeding tickets do not invoke (and if the speeding ticket was higher than 20 mph, typically that turns into reckless driving coupled with speeding in which case the misdemeanor is the reckless driving and the speeding ticket is the infraction)

Look here:http://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal-law-basics/infractions.html

And in most cases, speeding is considered petty or an infraction; misdemeanor is punishable by code via jail time or community service which typically, speeding tickets do not invoke (and if the speeding ticket was higher than 20 mph, typically that turns into reckless driving coupled with speeding in which case the misdemeanor is the reckless driving and the speeding ticket is the infraction)

Look here:http://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal-law-basics/infractions.html

What sucks about state laws is the fact that in one state speeding is a misdemeanor and in another it is an infraction (even if it is just a 10 miles over the speed limit ticket). You may not even realize it until you do a background check.

Members don't see this ad :)
For what it's worth, I have been cited for a speeding ticket in ohio before and it didn't even show up on my certiphi background check. I have no idea why because it technically should have been a misdemeanor

Reactions: 1 user
I will give my two cents as well because I came across this question during my app cycle. My speeding ticket was in Ohio, but as an adult. I chose to disclose this on my primary, but it never showed up on the Certiphi check. I do not think you need to disclose at all though considering you were a minor.

Also, for what it's worth, even though I had it listed on my primary, it did not prevent me from getting interviews at any of the Ohio schools. I don't think adcoms care at all about minor traffic violations. Now, if you had like 10 or something that might be a different story.

Good luck!

I've done a search and I have seen this mentioned on several threads, but no absolute answer. I am an Ohio resident and as a Juvenile I got citations for a speeding ticket (age 17) and failure to control (age 16). I just found out that that these are classified as minor misdemeanors under Ohio's laws. I am starting the AMCAS application process now and do you have a misdemeanor is a question. Since my license was expunged after turning 18 do I still include these? Is it still considered a misdemeanor since other states don't classify it as one? And finally will I be screened out to schools if I click yes on the misdemeanor tab? I just don't want to be screened out of medical schools because of a spin out and going 10 mph over the speed limit. I would really appreciate a response from ADCOMS thank you!

I'm from Ohio as well. I listed my speeding tickets, I still had Ohio interviews/invites, and I still was accepted to an Ohio school. They did not show up on my background check, but I would rather list stuff that probably won't show up, than be one of the posters who is freaking out because they didn't list something that did. I don't think you have anything to worry about hiding; as long as you didn't kill someone, they shouldn't care about this.

I applied while also having a speeding ticket and a failure to maintain control from Ohio. I listed above but I believe neither came up in the certiphi background check. Neither were misdemeanors as I recall. I was an adult for both.

In your case, you were a juvenile and don't need to list it.

I had two "failure to control" tickets from Ohio over five years ago, and I'm pretty sure they do actually count as misdemeanors. I did declare them, but they didn't show up on my background check.

you don't have to report it on your primary application, but you may have to report it on your secondaries if they ask

on your secondaries there is room to explain this stuff, you can just say "ohio has dumb laws" and probably no one will care