AMCAS GPA vs. transcript GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedChic

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm going to start this process pretty soon and I was wondering how exactly does this GPA calculation work. Do AMCAS GPA calculations tend to be lower or higher or the same as your transcripts (if you haven't retaken any classes)? Also, you find out our true AMCAS GPA after the application is already processed right?

Argh, sorry I should probably go see an advisor and I will soon enough, but I'm curious.

Members don't see this ad.

for me they were the exact same, using B+ as 3.5, C+ as 2.5, etc I think :confused:

and yeah, I think they have to process your application before the GPA is listed. I saved a PDF when I submitted my application and it doesn't have my GPA on it, just all of my courses.

yeah. if you don't have any repeated courses or anything like that, I don't see why your school's GPA and AMCAS calculated should differ. Mine were exactly the same.

EDIT: and yes, you get your AMCAS calculated GPA after it is verified.

Members don't see this ad :)
for me they were the exact same, using B+ as 3.5, C+ as 2.5, etc I think :confused:

and yeah, I think they have to process your application before the GPA is listed. I saved a PDF when I submitted my application and it doesn't have my GPA on it, just all of my courses.

really? at my school it's 3.3 for a B+ and a 2.3 for a C+....hmmm
I wonder if they just follow each university's own guidelines or something

Really? What were the - grades then? Also x.5?

At my school, 3.3 is B+, 2.3 is C+.....so the minuses are all x.7.

The main reason it would be different is if you retook courses (will make it lower) or if you took courses outside your university (could make it go up or down).

Members don't see this ad :)
hmm, it says on there to find the conversion that's most like my school's.

mine's like the ABCD/F with halfsteps (B+ is 3.5, C+ is 2.5) - do I use that grading system when entering my grades?

Instead of B+ I would enter AB?
I'm pretty sure you enter your transcript grade and quality points.

Hoorah! My GPA is going up (rather insignificantly) because an A- is a 3.7 not a 3.667, lol, and I have a ton of these and basically no B+.

What happens when you have two separate institutions though?

Don't forget about the effect of A+s (if your school has them). At my school an A+ is worth 4.3, even thought the GPA scale is still 0-4. For me this meant my AMCAS GPA is 0.1 lower than my school's GPA. I'm also attaching a link to a great spreadsheet that I think I orignally found though SDN. It calculates your cumulative and BCPM GPA for you - just enter in the grade, semester hours and if it was a BCPM.

http://www.google.com/search?q=amcas+gpa+calculator&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:oops:fficial

Second search result in the excel file - would have uploaded it to SDN but it won't accept excel files.

Well, from my understanding, it's AMCAS, not you, who converts the grades, so if you can't figure out, it's no big deal.
yeah, I guess. I was just wondering how AMCAS knows which conversion to use.

I'm looking at my application from 2005 and it has my course name, number of semester hours, and a grade like B+. if AMCAS converted it using B+=3.3 then I'd lose points compared to my school's system where B+=3.5

hopefully AMCAS is intelligent enough to figure it out

I figured it out, I bump up .02, LOL. That's sad... but hilarious.

Don't forget about the effect of A+s (if your school has them). At my school an A+ is worth 4.3, even thought the GPA scale is still 0-4. For me this meant my AMCAS GPA is 0.1 lower than my school's GPA. I'm also attaching a link to a great spreadsheet that I think I orignally found though SDN. It calculates your cumulative and BCPM GPA for you - just enter in the grade, semester hours and if it was a BCPM.

http://www.google.com/search?q=amcas+gpa+calculator&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:oops:fficial

Second search result in the excel file - would have uploaded it to SDN but it won't accept excel files.
Thanks for the excel file! I spent about 30-45 min today making my own excel sheet just to have this turn up tonight. I think I'll reenter the grades though simply to see those pretty graphs!

As for my GPAs, they decreased by 0.01 from a quarter system. Not as bad of a drop as I heard it'd be for applicants from my school.

My AMCAS GPA is noticeably lower than my transcript GPA since my 6 A+'s were all converted to A's.

My AMCAS GPA is noticeably lower than my transcript GPA since my 6 A+'s were all converted to A's.

This is probably the only time it it semi-legitimate to complain about A+s. I know I'm bitter...I have 13.

This is probably the only time it it semi-legitimate to complain about A+s. I know I'm bitter...I have 13.

Not really complaining since I understand it is to be fair to students from schools that don't give out A+'s. Still, my cumulative GPA would look so much better as a 3.9+.

I attached the excel spreadsheet to this reply as a compressed zip file, which SDN does allow.

Attachments

• AMCAS GPA_Calculator Version 4 Final.zip
    28.4 KB · Views: 138
I think that they use manatees to assign your grades with random ping pong balls.

I think that they use manatees to assign your grades with random ping pong balls.
close.. it's actually hungry hungry hippos

hippos.jpg

The main reason it would be different is if you retook courses (will make it lower) or if you took courses outside your university (could make it go up or down).

Or if your school makes earning A+'s possible