AMCAS Grade Conversation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mav-babe 2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I was wondering how Amcas standardizes grades for everyone. My school gives out A/B/C/D or F so wouldn't my GPA be slightly lower than someone whose schools uses a +/- system? I looked at the conversion spread sheet, and I didn't find it all that helpful. It seems like some people are at a slightly higher advantage.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys,
I was wondering how Amcas standardizes grades for everyone. My school gives out A/B/C/D or F so wouldn't my GPA would be slightly lower than someone whose schools uses a +/- system. I looked at the conversion spread sheet, and I didn't find it all that helpful. It seems like some people are at slightly high advantage.

Whether or not it is a disadvantage is honestly dependent on how many +'s and -'s you would have had.
With respect to +'s, yes, you'd be at a disadvantage, but with respect to -'s, you're at an advantage.

Scenario:
Let's say you and Joe Schmo both get a 92% in a class. Your school gives you an A because A- does not exist, but Joe Schmo's school gives him an A-.
AMCAS will give you 4 points, but give Joe Schmo 3.7 for the exact same percentage grade just because his school listed it as an A-.

In theory, the advantages/disadvantages will even out and with 4 years worth of classes the advantage/disadvantage is probably minimal.
But like Ismet said, that's the way it is. They have to standardize it somehow. Hope this helps!

Thank you guys for clearing that up for me. I guess it's out of my hands so I shouldn't worry to much about it I guess.