AMCAS Submission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aspiratory

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

So I currently realized a issue with the plan I initially I had for my application this upcoming cycle. I'd originally planned on taking 4 summer classes and had projected my GPA based on that.

Currently I'm sitting on a
3.70 cGPA
3.54 sGPA
MCAT 36

However, after my 4 classes this summer I'd have a
3.72 cGPA
3.60 sGPA
MCAT 36

The end of my summer session is June 23rd, 20 days after the first day of AMCAS applications will be accepted for submission. I REALLY would like to apply as early as possible, as I know that's a surefire way of assuring success in the cycle.

So should I:

A) Not take the summer classes and submit on June 3rd with the GPAs I have currently
B) Take the summer classes and wait until around June 30th to submit
C) Submit on June 3rd, and submit additional grades after (how will this affect me?)

Thanks for any/all help

Members don't see this ad.

Submit your application as soon as you can. You can always send in updated transcripts! Even if it took a while for them to process them the second time that difference won't be big enough to change how schools view you.

Unless someone else knows that they'll send your application to the back of the pile I think that's your best bet?

That difference in gpa really won't make much of a difference in your app. Submit early and then perhaps send grades later on in the cycle as an update.

Members don't see this ad :)
i personally do not think its worth waiting for a 0.2 cum boost/ 0.6 sgpa boost
however, I dont think submitting june 30th will kill ur application either. for me, getting ur app verified early seems to be top priority.

and you can update most schools on recent courses immediately after.

so you can kind of go either way but I wuld submit without the summer classes final grades, but thats just me.

4 summer classes in one session? thats a little intense

edit: do you mind me asking what courses these are?

I would go with option A unless the classes are required for something. The difference between 3.72 and 3.70 is not worth waiting. Submit on the first day possible.

I would go with option A unless the classes are required for something. The difference between 3.72 and 3.70 is not worth waiting. Submit on the first day possible.

Yeah I agree with you, but it's my science GPA I'm really worried about. I feel like a 3.54 is really low.

Hi!

So I currently realized a issue with the plan I initially I had for my application this upcoming cycle. I'd originally planned on taking 4 summer classes and had projected my GPA based on that.

Currently I'm sitting on a
3.70 cGPA
3.54 sGPA
MCAT 36

However, after my 4 classes this summer I'd have a
3.72 cGPA
3.60 sGPA
MCAT 36

The end of my summer session is June 23rd, 20 days after the first day of AMCAS applications will be accepted for submission. I REALLY would like to apply as early as possible, as I know that's a surefire way of assuring success in the cycle.

So should I:

A) Not take the summer classes and submit on June 3rd with the GPAs I have currently
B) Take the summer classes and wait until around June 30th to submit
C) Submit on June 3rd, and submit additional grades after (how will this affect me?)

Thanks for any/all help

These are functionally equivalent GPAs. You will not not get into medical school because of that.

That's a good question. To me, the issue would be whether GPA's are rounded to one decimal or two. If two, then submit sooner because 3.54 and 3.60 are pretty close. If one, then the difference between a 3.5 and 3.6 seems like a lot. Just looking at the numbers themselves, it's the difference between average and above average.

Anyone know the answer? How many decimal points are used?

That's a good question. To me, the issue would be whether GPA's are rounded to one decimal or two. If two, then submit sooner because 3.54 and 3.60 are pretty close. If one, then the difference between a 3.5 and 3.6 seems like a lot. Just looking at the numbers themselves, it's the difference between average and above average.

AMCAS uses 2

AMCAS uses 2

This implies that you think that adcoms are stupid. The difference between a 3.5 and a 3.6 is negligible overall. Yes, higher is always better, but certainly the difference between a 3.54 and a 3.60 is meaningless. Exemplified by the fact that you can artificially raise a GPA by doing what the OP is suggesting. We know that you can do this, which is why the GPA is only a single measure and by itself is meaningless.

Reactions: 1 user
This implies that you think that adcoms are stupid. The difference between a 3.5 and a 3.6 is negligible overall. Yes, higher is always better, but certainly the difference between a 3.54 and a 3.60 is meaningless. Exemplified by the fact that you can artificially raise a GPA by doing what the OP is suggesting. We know that you can do this, which is why the GPA is only a single measure and by itself is meaningless.

Sorry I didn't mean to imply anything by answering. I was just giving him information, not agreeing with his conclusions.

Sorry, didn't mean to include your quote XD.

Well, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I wasn't trying to imply that adcoms are stupid, just human. I suspect they buy more things priced at $3.99 than $4.00, just like the rest of us. And I would think they treat a 3.6X better than a 3.5X, but I'm probably wrong.

I say submit it day 1 and get complete ASAP. Your GPAs are already solid; and then later on in the cycle if you get all As you can update schools, which is always a nice little card to have in your pocket.

I agree with submitting your Primary application early on. Keep in mind that once AMCAS calculates your GPAs, though, later grade submission will not result in a recalculation.

As a heads-up, check your school's policy about sending out transcripts close to the end of a term. Some refuse to do so until the current term's grades are in. Others will send them out, but it takes a few weeks before they get around to it. Knowing if you are up against these issues will allow for better pre-planning.

Related: What if you didn't send an update with the new grades? Would that "look bad"?