AMCAS: transcript required for nuke school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

runningmom

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping someone here has experience with this. I didn't even consider that I might transcripts for nuke power and prototype until I was researching a different question on the AMCAS website.

Neither school is listed on the AMCAS website as having military transcripts available and I'm certain I never saw an "official" transcript while I was there. GPAs and class standings are listed on our transfer FITREPS. Any thoughts or experience on this?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

runningmom said:
I'm hoping someone here has experience with this. I didn't even consider that I might transcripts for nuke power and prototype until I was researching a different question on the AMCAS website.

Neither school is listed on the AMCAS website as having military transcripts available and I'm certain I never saw an "official" transcript while I was there. GPAs and class standings are listed on our transfer FITREPS. Any thoughts or experience on this?

Thanks in advance!

Is the Navy nuke school an accredited graduate school and a member of at least one nationally-recognized graduate educational accrediting association (Middle-States, etc.)? Here is a link to SallieMae's site that gives the names of agencies recognized by the US Dept. of Education: http://www.collegeanswer.com/counselor/content/resource_center/accred_agencies.jsp

For credits to be qualifying before AMCAS, I think they must come from an accredited degree-granting institution.

orbitsurgMD said:
Is the Navy nuke school an accredited graduate school and a member of at least one nationally-recognized graduate educational accrediting association (Middle-States, etc.)? Here is a link to SallieMae's site that gives the names of agencies recognized by the US Dept. of Education: http://www.collegeanswer.com/counselor/content/resource_center/accred_agencies.jsp

For credits to be qualifying before AMCAS, I think they must come from an accredited degree-granting institution.

Nope - neither school is listed there. My gut is that I shouldn't have to come up with transcripts for this. And knowing the nuke world, they'd probably be classified if I could find them anyway! :laugh: I think I'm good - I just didn't want my AMCAS held up for some strange reason.

Members don't see this ad :)
runningmom said:
Nope - neither school is listed there. My gut is that I shouldn't have to come up with transcripts for this. And knowing the nuke world, they'd probably be classified if I could find them anyway! :laugh: I think I'm good - I just didn't want my AMCAS held up for some strange reason.

Nope. No nuke school transcripts. I did list it as one of my 'extracurriculars, however'

I too did not include the nuclear power training in the courses section...I have discussed the schools and my overall grade / class standing in the work/activities section of AMCAS.

Now, if you obtained a graduate degree in which the institution granted credit for the nuclear power training, that may be an entirely different scenario...I guess that would depend upon how the institution dealt with that on their transcript. Does anyone have experience with this?

danjo said:
I too did not include the nuclear power training in the courses section...I have discussed the schools and my overall grade / class standing in the work/activities section of AMCAS.

Now, if you obtained a graduate degree in which the institution granted credit for the nuclear power training, that may be an entirely different scenario...I guess that would depend upon how the institution dealt with that on their transcript. Does anyone have experience with this?

This brings up an interesting point.....I did one of those that gave me credit (no grade) for 12 hours of graduate study based on the nuke training. All that shows up on my transcript from that school.

Also my "SMART" transcript specifically lists these schools and says that "have not been evaluated by ACE (American Council on Education)".

Of course, with the exception of USUHS I doubt anyone else is even really going to know what nuke school means. I did my best to explain it and the subsequent work in the 1325 characters allowed for work/activities, but it isn't like 1325 characters really gives you room to sum up 5 years of your life! :laugh:

There are women at the Navy nuke power school at Charleston?!

I did not know that.

LADoc00 said:
There are women at the Navy nuke power school at Charleston?!

I did not know that.

Yep. There aren't alot of us... but we are there. In 1995, the option opened up for surface ships (and since there were only two cruisers left by then, that meant carriers). Of course when I was in power school, it was still in Orlando. I did prototype in Charleston though.

runningmom said:
Yep. There aren't alot of us... but we are there. In 1995, the option opened up for surface ships (and since there were only two cruisers left by then, that meant carriers). Of course when I was in power school, it was still in Orlando. I did prototype in Charleston though.

Ahhhh, I was led to believe Charleston was Nuke SUB only.

runningmom said:
This brings up an interesting point.....I did one of those that gave me credit (no grade) for 12 hours of graduate study based on the nuke training. All that shows up on my transcript from that school.

Also my "SMART" transcript specifically lists these schools and says that "have not been evaluated by ACE (American Council on Education)".

Of course, with the exception of USUHS I doubt anyone else is even really going to know what nuke school means. I did my best to explain it and the subsequent work in the 1325 characters allowed for work/activities, but it isn't like 1325 characters really gives you room to sum up 5 years of your life! :laugh:

Did you obtain a Master of Engineering Management from Old Dominion University? I know that they offer 12 credits for the nuclear power training. Are you applying to USUHS? Are you still on active duty? As you can see, I'm a submariner that is attempting to transition to the Medical Corps. USUHS is my first choice.

danjo said:
Did you obtain a Master of Engineering Management from Old Dominion University? I know that they offer 12 credits for the nuclear power training. Are you applying to USUHS? Are you still on active duty? As you can see, I'm a submariner that is attempting to transition to the Medical Corps. USUHS is my first choice.

Yep. Yep. Nope.

I couldn't pass up the master's for 6 courses and the GI Bill paid for it. I'll probably never use it, but oh well! USUHS is on the list - though I'm still debating civ versus mil so that affects where it ranks. If I go back mil, it will be through USUHS - I won't do an HPSP.

I got off AD in 2003 since hubby is AD USMC and we weren't likely to be in the same state anytime soon with me as a nuke. He retires next year, so it is MY turn to work on a career again. :) And I elected not to try to transition since I would still have another 1 or 2 years until I could do that as active (if I were still in I would just be starting my DH tour on the carrier this year). I'm feeling old enough as it is!

What does the chance for transition look like for you? I was always under the impression it was "possible but unlikely". I knew a couple of guys to attempted a transition to JAG - last i heard they hadn't made it yet, but that was years ago.

runningmom said:
What does the chance for transition look like for you? I was always under the impression it was "possible but unlikely". I knew a couple of guys to attempted a transition to JAG - last i heard they hadn't made it yet, but that was years ago.

It is still very tough to do a normal transfer from subs to medical corps. However, my active duty obligation is up this August, so I am submitting a resignation letter. I spoke with the admissions people at USUHS, and they said that as long as I have orders out of the Navy, they can accept me.

Incidentally, I was enlisted in the Marine Corps for four years...with my wife being in the Navy (she's an active duty OB/GYN), co-location was one of the reasons I took a commission in the Navy instead of the USMC. So, I can understand your decision to get out!