american citizen (australian trained) return to USA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clarkbar

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an American citizen interested in studying for a graduate dental program in Australia for reasons independent of my academic credentials. I am comfortable practicing in Australia, Canada or the U.S. What are the best routes for these, and what is the likelihood?
From my understanding, an international graduate of an Australian school is entitled to a two year work visa (is this true for dentistry), at which time they can obtain employment. (How difficult and in what locales can such employment be obtained.) A permanent residency card is given after two years.
An American citizen with Australian/U.S. dental education can practice in Canada, but there is a 200 person limit for who is granted a visa to work. This is a crap shoot. For America, a recruiter for Australian dental schools said that I could do my dental rotations in the U.S. and then be able to practice there? Which rotations is she referring to, and are there any stipulations on this?

Thank you, dental hopeful.

Members don't see this ad.

I am an American citizen interested in studying for a graduate dental program in Australia for reasons independent of my academic credentials. I am comfortable practicing in Australia, Canada or the U.S. What are the best routes for these, and what is the likelihood?
From my understanding, an international graduate of an Australian school is entitled to a two year work visa (is this true for dentistry), at which time they can obtain employment. (How difficult and in what locales can such employment be obtained.) A permanent residency card is given after two years.
An American citizen with Australian/U.S. dental education can practice in Canada, but there is a 200 person limit for who is granted a visa to work. This is a crap shoot. For America, a recruiter for Australian dental schools said that I could do my dental rotations in the U.S. and then be able to practice there? Which rotations is she referring to, and are there any stipulations on this?

Thank you, dental hopeful.

You need to decide ultimately where you want to live and practice dentistry.

Dental graduates from Australia (after 2012) can apply for a dental license in Canada.

There is a way to get US state dental license by completing a TWO year general dentistry residency program (AEGD or GPR) or a specialty dental residency program.

The states that used to allow foreign dental graduates were Virginia, Texas and Washington. You would need to check each state to see if that pathway is still open. Not all programs will accept foreign dental graduates, so you would need to check that.

What's the chance of finding employment, and under what auspices, for an American graduate of an Australian school in Australia, Canada? What if the student was graduating toward the bottom of his/her class?