American or Canadian Dental School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

capnamerica

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am hoping to do an OMFS residency in the future (I am currently not even in dental school, just undergrad), and am studying in Canada, although I have PR status in America. If I want to study OMFS in the future, would you recommend completing my undergrad dental education in Canada, where the tuition is cheaper, but there are only less than 10 OMFS spots in the whole country every year, or do my undergrad dental education in America, where the tuition is a little bit more, but there are more OMFS spots, and I will get to make connections, etc.

I am really looking forward to your advice.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Tough question; don't think anyone is going to have a good answer for you.

I think your road to OMFS will be much tougher via the Canadian route than the American route, knowing the acceptance averages and number of spots (and this is all speculative). Keep in mind that you're going to have to be a dentist for (at least) two years before OMFS, so take that into consideration when making your decision.

I'm a Canadian who's studying states side, so if you have any other questions, feel free to give me a shout.

Hi Cap,

I think its awesome that you are thinking about these questions in advance. I am a Canadian PR studying dentistry in the US. I am in my third year. I did my undergrad at U of T and lived on campus. My total debt was $45,000. That is unheard of at a similar institution in the US where its more likely to cost upwards of $30,000 per year easy. If you are able to go to a Canadian University I strongly advise you to do so based solely on cost. Additionally, if you can get a decent GPA at a school like U of T, Mcgill or McMaster, you should have no problems getting into a US school.

When it is time for you to apply to dental school, in Canada you go where you get in. U of T average GPA for the starting class is 3.8 and not an easy task. A solid 3.5 can at least get you an interview at most places in the US.

From a standpoint of numbers, OMFS is best done in the US cause there are more spots. OMFS is therefore less competitive here. DC alone has about 7 recidency positions while as you stated the entire Canada has 10.

Finally, while it is important to have the end in sight, I think you should take it one day at a time and follow the steps. You have to do well in undergrad to get into dental school and you have to do well in dental school to get into OS.

So just study hard in undergrad and try to keep your GPA up. At

Members don't see this ad :)
My sister-in-law got her DDS from U of Manitoba. She then specialized in pediatric dentistry in the US. She told me that many of the US programs rejected her app because she was Canadian. I supposed if you are near the top it won't be a problem but it sounds like you will be more competitive for specialty programs if you went to dental school in the States.

There are certain programs that are reserved for US Citizens only. These programs are mostly VA hospital programs. As a matter of fact, all VA programs are reserved for US citizens.

There are many OMFS programs that only accept American or Canadian citizens and residents. You just have to do a little research before you apply. NY programs normally have a few Canadians each year.