AMGA Compensation Data

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gaspasser127

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in contract negotiation with a hospital group and the base salary they're offering me sounds low based on MGMA data. When I brought this up they said they base their pay on the median on AGMA. I guess AGMA more accurately represents larger organizations.

Does anyone have AGMA data for interventional pain? Ideally 2021 data.

Members don't see this ad.

Did you ask them why they use AGMA instead of MGMA? Maybe its so they can pay you less?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll save you the suspense, it's because they want to pay you less, hence why they're using another guide. Say no, move on. Get paid what you are worth.

Reactions: 6 users
Tons of big hospital systems use MGMA

Reactions: 5 users
I'm in contract negotiation with a hospital group and the base salary they're offering me sounds low based on MGMA data. When I brought this up they said they base their pay on the median on AGMA. I guess AGMA more accurately represents larger organizations.

Does anyone have AGMA data for interventional pain? Ideally 2021 data.

So, do the larger organizations pay more?

Ask them to show you the agma.
Shoot your shot now and be willing to walk away. The only way you can more in the future is to work harder for them as an employee.

Reactions: 1 users
"it sounds like you have some specific data that you're referring to. would you be opposed to sharing this with me?"

I'll see if I can find some AMGA stuff for you later - my network "blends" MGMA, AMGA, and Sullivan Cotter

The crappiest part of it all is the hospital systems will get paid more for the same things you would do in private practice. I would argue that MGMA is MORE likely to be hospital employed docs than private practice.

Reactions: 3 users
I don't have AGMA, here is MGMA (older version)
For reference, here's good youtube video for understanding RVU models:

Hospitals in general should have larger base salaries.

1633453437331.png

So what are they offering you?

Members don't see this ad :)
400k base + 65/wRVU once you exceed your base quarterly.

MGMA median is 500k total comp, $78.88/wRVU, and median wRVUs generated annually is about 6500.

The guys in this group are doing about 8000-9000/wRVUs per year.
How many weeks vacation?

Reactions: 1 user
Don’t forget to get things like paid tail coverage for when you see the light and want to leave. Or, When SOS is thrown out and hospitals shed employed doctors (Russos wet dream??)
Extra cMe time and money.

One good thing that has went unmentioned that rvu values for things went up very slightly but the cms value per rvu has gone down from$36ish to $32ish.

Seems like a silly question/ask but Confirm what year they base their wrvu calculations on. You want 2021.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
As a comparison I have a base of 475 and 65/unit over 7300 wrvus. I have additional comp though with metrics bonus and director fee for a real base of 540k. This is not at a rural location

MGMA median is 500k total comp, $78.88/wRVU, and median wRVUs generated annually is about 6500.

What general location is this?

As a comparison I have a base of 475 and 65/unit over 7300 wrvus. I have additional comp though with metrics bonus and director fee for a real base of 540k. This is not at a rural location

Are you the only pain doc there? Any help with call? Any inpatient?

Last edited:
Lots of pain docs on staff but I’m the only hospital based one. Zero inpatient. Im always on call but that’s nothing new. Probably 1 phone call every 6 months

Reactions: 1 users
This is the same BS my current system played on me. Pick the information that justifies their retoric. Don’t take the BS. Negotiate off of what everyone else does, MGMA

Damn all these numbers..hospital employed definitely the way to go..

FWIW, these are not the numbers that I am seeing. i doubt that these are true numbers in LA, SF, NYC, chicago, etc.

The median wRVU is $78!? That's pretty high. And they're only offering you $65? That's a 100,00k difference when you get up to 8-9000 wRVUs.

Anyone have Sullivan and Cotter numbers?

It turns out my hospital system will be using a "blend" of "national recognized compensation surveys".... I have asked them what that means and waiting for a response but through the grapevine I've heard it is MGMA, AGMA, and Sullivan Cotter

It turns out my hospital system will be using a "blend" of "national recognized compensation surveys".... I have asked them what that means and waiting for a response but through the grapevine I've heard it is MGMA, AGMA, and Sullivan Cotter

what you have heard is correct

@gaspasser127 were you ever able to get that data?