Amphotericin B toxicity question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phloston

Osaka, Japan
Removed
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
From GT:

Amphotericin B (sometimes referred to as "amphoterrible" because of its toxicity) is a potent nephrotoxin. Toxicity is first signaled by a rise in serum magnesium and calcium. The azole anti-fungals are inhibitors cholesterol synthesis, and thus decrease steroid hormone synthesis. However, the patient is unlikely to be receiving both amphotericin and an azole, and even if he were, the dangers of amphotericin B are much greater than those of the azoles. Pulmonary function would be monitored in patients on bleomycin or amiodarone, which can both cause pulmonary fibrosis. Lactic acidosis is a common complication of biguanides such as metformin, a class of medications for type II diabetics that decrease insulin resistance. Ototoxicity is a common complication of treatment with aminoglycoside antibiotics.

---

I had always thought amphotericin B toxicity results in a decrease in these electrolytes, particularly given the nephrotoxicity.

From PubMed:

The fact that side effects of AmB resemble those of serious magnesium deficiency, and that AmB inactivates magnesium by binding it to cell membranes, thereby removing it from the availalble body pool (infra vide), suggests that replacing the magnesium might protect against
AmB toxicity.

Can also be found at: http://www.mgwater.com/seelig_amphotericin_b_binding.pdf

---

Any thoughts here?

Cheers,

Members don't see this ad.

I remember distinctly that UWorld specifically stated hypomagnesemia and hypokalemia due to an increase in distal tubular membrane permeability.

That's interesting. Maybe initially there is a rise, and then there is a decrease? Kind of like the process of acute tubular necrosis, where there is initiation, propagation, and recovery?

1st. what is GT?

2nd I've seem some sources that suggest that amphotericin causes renal wasting of Mg (not necessarily nephrotoxic). I don't know much about this at all though.

Also, do you know who Amon is?

Members don't see this ad :)
could it be.... a typo?

Regardless, if I were to see amphotericin on a test question I would stay safe and associate it with hypoMg and hypoK.

1st. what is GT?

2nd I've seem some sources that suggest that amphotericin causes renal wasting of Mg (not necessarily nephrotoxic). I don't know much about this at all though.

Also, do you know who Amon is?

GT = Gunner Training

And since Amon possesses the ability to take away one's bending I'm voting that he's related to Aang in some way (maybe his non-bending son or something). Sadly, I don't think Amon is going to be anyone from the first series, so when they reveal his identity it'll probably be anti-climatic. Oh well.