Anatomy...I hate it hate it hate it

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cdql

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My preparation for Anatomy was to speedread through HY Anatomy in 8 hours (I'd be surprised if I picked up 10% of the information I read) and pound the few anatomy pages in FA.

So I know the FA stuff very well, I went through the upper limb in HY well, I have a very, very, very rudimentary understanding of anatomy elsewhere, and that's about it!

My Qbank/UW scores in anatomy aren't too shabby but before patting myself on the back, I have to remind myself that those questions are almost solely on the median nerve, the radial nerve, and the common peroneal nerve. (I swear it seems like those are the only anatomy questions out there!) I doubt the real writers of the USMLE would be that nice in crafting questions. I'm definitely worried about anatomy.

Any recommendations on what to do? Or similar concerns? Or reaffirming "Anatomy isn't prominently featured on Step 1"-posts for me?

Thanks! ;)

Members don't see this ad.

If anatomy is prominently featured on Step 1, rest assured that you won't be the only one taking it over. :)

If I can get 30% of the anatomy questions on that test right, I'll be happy.

Studying for anatomy seems to be very, very low yield. I'm just doing FA stuff and running through the brachial plexus a few times before I take it. I've been doing decently well on Q-bank for not studying anatomy in a year and a half. That time is better spent reviewing other topics or watching TV in my opinion.

just use your intuition. if you're doing QBank and get an anatomy question and you say to yourself "that's ****ing stupid", you're right. the real test isn't as big on things like "which two tendons does vein x run between" or things like that (although i did get one hard one about intrinsic muscles of the foot). for step 1, just know clinical anatomy, like where do you do an LP, where does the conus end, where do you place a thoracostomy tube and why, what are the areas of perfusion of cranial arteries, etc.

you'll do just fine if you stick with FA and augment as needed (though i must confess to spending way too much time memorizing HY anatomy...) Good luck!!!