Anesthesia SimSTAT MOCA 2.0 Part IV

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

semajjsj

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone looked into the online simulations (SimSTAT) offered by the ASA?

Does this mean we won't have to travel to the real life simulation centers as an option to complete MOCA Part IV credits? Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. I think that is the whole point of the SimSTAT. It will help fulfill some of the Part IV credits. I've got 15 from a M&M presentation but unfortunately will have to shell out $$ for SimSTAT to fulfill the 25 credits for my first 5 yrs of MOCA.

I am banking on the NBPAS to get California to pass Anti-MOC legislation so I can drop the ASA/ABA all together. The ABA just shifted around their value-less MOCA program. Still sucking money from their diplomates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How’d you get 15 from one M&M presentation?

Sorry for the late reply...
It was a whole month’s M&M recap with a case presentation. It lets you claim 1 credit for each hour up to max 15. I claimed all 15

There is this Difficult Airway Algorithm and Rescue Cric simulator through the VA. DAARC. That got me another 6 credits. Sucks I’ll still have to pay $250 for the Trauma SimSTAT to get my 25.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You kids and your MOCA...

NBPAS.org and never think about this ridiculous bullcrap again.

I mean, if you do trauma anesthesia, every f'ing patient is the test. Why bother simulating when you see trauma all the time for real?

And if you don't do trauma, what's the point of simulating it? One trauma sim session isn't going to make you a competent trauma anesthesiologist if you aren't currently one.

This is the central fallacy of the entire MOC scam: that only they with their proprietary products can save you from being the Ignoramus they want you to believe you are.

Dudes. Every single patient you take care of is "the test."

Reject this bunk. NBPAS.org . Fight for it.

If you think this sim is valuable, go ahead and do it. But it's sad as hell to see people extorted into paying for these things just to meet an arbitrary credit requirement.

Has any of your patients ever asked you if you participate in MOCA? I didn't think so.

I realize that not everyone is in position to give up their ABA cert yet, but those who are in such a position should be fighting this BS hard.

Reactions: 1 users
Just looked into this

You only get one credit per hour for the online SimStat
You get three credits per hour for the ASA approved in person sim courses

So you can get the requirements done in one day in person, like on a Saturday
Versus 25 hours of online work

Pricing and travel availability are obviously other issues...

There is this Difficult Airway Algorithm and Rescue Cric simulator through the VA. DAARC. That got me another 6 credits.

Alright, dumb question time. Do you have to work at the VA to get the 6 credits for DAARC? I see the DAARC website, but can't bring up their simulator. Might be my computer, though.

Just looked into this

You only get one credit per hour for the online SimStat
You get three credits per hour for the ASA approved in person sim courses

So you can get the requirements done in one day in person, like on a Saturday
Versus 25 hours of online work

Pricing and travel availability are obviously other issues...

Agree with @Hawaiian Bruin... but I am not in a position to give up my ABA status.
So... I am forking out a ton of $$$ to fly into a sim course this coming weekend.
To be honest, not all that excited about it as I would for an SCA or echo conference.
I feel like my hand has been forced into this, but I am keeping an open mind.
Nearly done with my first MOCA recertification.
We will see what happens in another 10 years.

Alright, dumb question time. Do you have to work at the VA to get the 6 credits for DAARC? I see the DAARC website, but can't bring up their simulator. Might be my computer, though.

No, it worked for me without VA affiliation. I think you need to download something to make it work though.

F*#^ MOCA. F*#^ the ABA, as well.

I just want to take care of cataracts and 10 endos. That's it. No more trauma or Ob calls