NBE changing recertification to MOCA style

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 8 users
Well I figure making sure an order is placed and there’s an accession number so the exam actually ends up somewhere will get me thru the first 10 years…

My QI project is going to be taking a Sledgehammer to all those GE TEE machines and having admin (reluctantly) replace them with Phillips

Reactions: 3 users
My QI project is going to be taking a Sledgehammer to all those GE TEE machines and having admin (reluctantly) replace them with Phillips
Lol mine will be along the same line of getting another Philips Epiq machine and some X8 probes. We've only got one Epiq (and a couple old unidentifiable Philips machines) and some X7 probes.

"For those who became board (re-)certified 2014-2023, enrollment in MOCE is not necessary to maintain
certification status for the entire 10-year duration post-certification period, consistent with what was
expected at the time of registration for the exam. These individuals are encouraged to enroll in MOCE
before their 10-year expiration, and their participation in MOCE will be free of charge until ten years
lapse since passing their last exam."

Looks like I won't be enrolling in this crap for another 10 years since I just passed the test this year. Boom baby!

Reactions: 1 users
"For those who became board (re-)certified 2014-2023, enrollment in MOCE is not necessary to maintain
certification status for the entire 10-year duration post-certification period, consistent with what was
expected at the time of registration for the exam. These individuals are encouraged to enroll in MOCE
before their 10-year expiration, and their participation in MOCE will be free of charge until ten years

Looks like I won't be enrolling in this crap for another 10 years since I just passed the test this year. Boom baby!
Samesies. At which point I’ll be 59. And wgaf.

Reactions: 1 user
The CME requirement doesn’t surprise me, but it’s getting to the point where there’s just a list of CME dictated to us. Each State’s required opioid CME, the DEA’s required CME, and now the NBE’s.

I was set to expire in 2024. Unfortunately, starting 1/1 they will no longer be offering the Recertification exam. Oh well

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't understand. Why is this bad? Isn't this a good thing for us? No exam = no study?

More knucklehead stuff to do. Increased time burden. Likely to be an increased cost burden.

I don't understand. Why is this bad? Isn't this a good thing for us? No exam = no study?
If that's all it was, it'd be mostly OK. It's the ancillary crap like PI project homework that is most annoying.

Most of us agree that doing MOCA Minute on our phones is less painful than a recert exam at some test center.

But don't lose sight of the fact that the real issue isn't what the least painful task might be, but rather that we're being tasked in the first place.

A compelling argument can be made that all of this MOCA crap is just crap. Varying degrees of firm or runny, but crap. Doctors already do CME for licensure and we're the ones who are best able to decide what kind of CME keeps us current for our own practice. Beyond that, it's the domain of hospitals and facilities to manage peer review and credentialing.

Add in the incestuous relationship between (for example) the ABA and ASA and one body making rules and setting requirements that are "conveniently" or only fulfilled by their three-letter buddy organization ... e.g. the simulation thing... and it's easy to develop a bad attitude about some caravan of clowns, er, I mean, distinguished board certifying authority, setting up flaming hoops for us little people to pay money to jump through.

(Yes of course all of the above is griping about the ABA not the NBE. Just broadly commenting on MOC in general.)

Also, with regard to the NBE specifically, I have not been been particularly impressed with their competence or motivation to do the things they exist to do. The last time I gave them money was when I passed the advanced PTE exam, and it took more than a year for them to actually grant me certification. They want us to do some process improvement projects? They ought to start with a few in their office.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
The quality improvement mandates are insulting. why do the collective deficiencies of a given organization that I work for become my problem to solve ? Otherwise I’m not competent to perform echocardiograms? Isn’t that what these certifications are supposed to denote? Competence to perform the procedure, not competence to be a leader in driving the field forward (which is laughable, these pathetic box checking projects don’t do **** to drive innovation or leadership in echocardiography )

Reactions: 2 users
Agreed. I'm not really sure how many different QI programs can exist. You perform an echo, with or without complications. Maybe you use sterile gel, maybe not. Then you report it. As far as I can tell, the only QI is on quality of reporting, and quality of exams. Surely not every diplomate must get involved in these.

Man, for once, I am glad that I am just a lowly testamur, and didn't bother to submit my CC echo case log. It looks like testamurs don't do QI projects or have specific CME (would do that anyway, but still) to maintain.

It seems like the QI requirement is not like the ABA's MOCA 2.0 Part IV . There is no discrete project to write up and to do. You just need to participate in a echo quality improvement program. I found a sample program here:

To summarize: each person would have to review 2 TEE a quarter, for 1. appropriate indication 2. good technical quality 3. good interpretation 4. good documentation. This review would be accomplished at a 2/year meeting by all the people who attend the meeting. You'd have to keep minutes, including at a minimum who attended (including virtual). This is not an official NBE standard, so it's possible you could get away with doing less. But, seeing that this is published by the Intersocietal Accreditation Commission, it is probably enough to satisfy the NBE if they were to audit you.

This requirement honestly doesn't seem too onerous. Especially with a small department, you could bang out the TEE review fairly quickly. Not sure how you would manage if you were the only cardiac guy in your group, or if you were doing locums.

It seems like the QI requirement is not like the ABA's MOCA 2.0 Part IV . There is no discrete project to write up and to do. You just need to participate in a echo quality improvement program. I found a sample program here:

To summarize: each person would have to review 2 TEE a quarter, for 1. appropriate indication 2. good technical quality 3. good interpretation 4. good documentation. This review would be accomplished at a 2/year meeting by all the people who attend the meeting. You'd have to keep minutes, including at a minimum who attended (including virtual). This is not an official NBE standard, so it's possible you could get away with doing less. But, seeing that this is published by the Intersocietal Accreditation Commission, it is probably enough to satisfy the NBE if they were to audit you.

This requirement honestly doesn't seem too onerous. Especially with a small department, you could bang out the TEE review fairly quickly. Not sure how you would manage if you were the only cardiac guy in your group, or if you were doing locums.
Soooo, reviewing echoes over beer and snacks twice yearly. Got it. Tried organizing that once before, but it was poorly attended.

Soooo, reviewing echoes over beer and snacks twice yearly. Got it. Tried organizing that once before, but it was poorly attended.
I would do that, but I'm a nerd. Maybe an annual prize for the person who brings the best echo documenting surgical misadventure. My fellow class awarded a nice enamel lapel pin of a flaming dumpster for the fellow who did the most chest washouts during the year.

I guess I could count the TAVR planning conferences we do. Sometimes we look at echo and cath images.

• Haha
Waiting for an old thread to be dusted off, like it always happens to me.

By you, pgg, just the other day.

;)

When was that? Did that happen?
Right around when the content outline came out. Our newest cardiac partner showed up, and we ended up having sourdough pretzels and beer while bitching about the content outline after reviewing two echo cases. Mirrored my laptop to the living room TV, and loaded the studies.

Right around when the content outline came out. Our newest cardiac partner showed up, and we ended up having sourdough pretzels and beer while bitching about the content outline after reviewing two echo cases. Mirrored my laptop to the living room TV, and loaded the studies.
Was I on call? Out of town? Not invited? Still on bypass for an 11 1/2 hour CABG with that locums surgeon? Did I have a concussion?

I totally don't remember that.