Animal Experience + Volunteer work before applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yesnomaybe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a non-traditional student with a degree in graphic design and am very close to finishing my pre-reqs to be able to apple for vet school in October. I feel so far behind my younger classmates and so clueless as to what's needed as far as volunteer work goes. My advisor wasn't very detailed. All he said was to try and get in some hours at the zoo, humane society, or animal clinic. I see in the archives here, people mention animal experience only counts if you're directly working with or under the vet. Is this so?

If I am starting at zero hours of volunteer/animal experience (aside from owning pets and pet-sitting ha) and want to get in enough to be able to apply for vet school in October 2012, how many hours a week do you suggest I try to work with a vet? I work fulltime as a graphic designer, so ideally I would like to do do both. But should I be finding a job in the science area? I don't want being a graphic designer to hurt me when I do finally apply.

:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I see in the archives here, people mention animal experience only counts if you're directly working with or under the vet. Is this so?

:confused:

"Animal experience" does not require supervision of a vet, but "veterinary experience" does! They are two separate parts of your application.

Being a graphic designer won't "hurt you", but not having hours will. Many people have between 1000 and 3000 hours when they apply, but other people have gotten in with 400 or so. It depends on each school. Where are you planning on applying?

And as far as "finding a job in the science field", it is not necessary to be paid for your hours, veterinary or animal. You can shadow a vet, or work part time if you'd like. It will be hard for you to tack on tons of hours, but if you push yourself you can do it. Maybe put a bunch of hours in on the weekends?

I plan on applying for UNL/ISU's program. UNL's program is fairly new, so I don't know if that makes it harder or easier to get into.

Hmm, even if I did 40 hours a week, that would only be 160 hours per month. The most I could get is 800 which is so unrealistic since I'm also in school. I wish my advisor was a little more specific. I hope he just didn't bother to give me the details because he thought I didn't have a chance in hell.

Side note: when you have vet experience, do you need them to sign a sheet each time you're there to have hours verified?

Members don't see this ad :)
I plan on applying for UNL/ISU's program. UNL's program is fairly new, so I don't know if that makes it harder or easier to get into.

Hmm, even if I did 40 hours a week, that would only be 160 hours per month. The most I could get is 800 which is so unrealistic since I'm also in school. I wish my advisor was a little more specific. I hope he just didn't bother to give me the details because he thought I didn't have a chance in hell.

Side note: when you have vet experience, do you need them to sign a sheet each time you're there to have hours verified?

I think the signing depends on each school. You don't have to have each hour signed off, but I know Ohio State requires a form to be signed by a vet you worked under, stating you at least completed 80 hours or something. But otherwise, just keep track for yourself so you can remember when you fill out your application. Some schools check into your hours (you will fill out contact info for the vet on your application), but I think for the most part, as long as everything adds up and doesn't seem unrealistic, they take your word for it when you fill out the application. Personally, I would say get as many hours as you can (people's hours vary A LOT), apply this cycle, and see what happens. The worst thing that happens is you are out a few hundred bucks, they tell you no, and you are right back to the same place you are if you hadn't applied in the first place.
What are your other stats like? GPA? GRE? That can make a difference in how many hours you may need as well.

Well, when I got my graphic design degree I am embarrassed to say my GPA was like a 2.9. It was because I wasn't passionate about the program, a confused undergrad, and skipped the classes I felt were "pointless" resulting in some very poor grades. It was because of this, I didn't think I should even try to apply for vet school. But one advisor told me they only look at your core science courses.

Since going back to get my pre-reqs I have gotten all A's. Biology, Genetics, Organic Chemistry I & II, biochemistry physics. Still need a couple more, but I hope to get A's in them as well. I have yet to take my GRE. I guess I really need to get going on that too. I haven't had math in forever, so I have been nervous about doing this.

I basically tried to squeeze in any hours I could get. Worked at a vaccine clinic on weekends bc I had an admin job during the week. With volunteering at a hospital plus weekend work, I got 1500 hrs of vet experience in a year. It is hard, but doable. Also, my vet gave me info about CE classes that I snuck into. Each one of them kept adding up :) but just know you may not have a life. I haven't had one since 2010 with my schedule!!

I basically tried to squeeze in any hours I could get. Worked at a vaccine clinic on weekends bc I had an admin job during the week. With volunteering at a hospital plus weekend work, I got 1500 hrs of vet experience in a year. It is hard, but doable. Also, my vet gave me info about CE classes that I snuck into. Each one of them kept adding up :) but just know you may not have a life. I haven't had one since 2010 with my schedule!!

That's very good to know. Well, all but not having a life, but I guess I should get used to that because I hear that's what vet school will be like. And frankly, I'd be fine with that if it meant I was following my dreams.

Considering your thing says class of 2016, I take it you got in. So congratulations!

I had about 500-600 hours when I applied. It was 100% "shadowing" at a small animal hospital. I was told a few times that 500 is a reasonable minimum for non-traditional applicants (although some people get in with considerably less). It took me almost 3 years to get that while working full time.

In the end, almost all applications are looked at "holistically". Faults in one area can be balanced with strengths in another. The fewer faults you have, the better, the more you stand out in some way, the better.

Since your GPA was low before, at least your last 45 and science GPAs will be high.
Really study for the GRE. It is your chance to really show that the original GPA is irrelevant.

I would say pretty much what everyone else is saying. Assuming your application is relatively strong in other areas (science GPA, GRE, personal statement), your weak hours might not be that big of a deal. My friend just got into Davis with about 300 vet hours with the same vet, and she said that they grilled her with tech questions in the interview, she thinks because of her scant hours. However, she did get in! So I would say, get as many vet hours as you can in different areas to show diversity, apply, and see what happens.

That's very good to know. Well, all but not having a life, but I guess I should get used to that because I hear that's what vet school will be like. And frankly, I'd be fine with that if it meant I was following my dreams.

Considering your thing says class of 2016, I take it you got in. So congratulations!

Yep! :) thank you!!! And the whole following your dreams is kinda what helped push me through not having a any weekends in two years (although I have had days off. Maybe a few a year :scared:)

Since going back to get my pre-reqs I have gotten all A's. Biology, Genetics, Organic Chemistry I & II, biochemistry physics. Still need a couple more, but I hope to get A's in them as well. I have yet to take my GRE. I guess I really need to get going on that too. I haven't had math in forever, so I have been nervous about doing this.

The GRE math was more basic algebra and geometry level stuff. Going through the book that they sent (or that came electronically, I forget) was very useful; and that's all I did to prepare. [Note: This is two-years-old experience.... don't know if it's changed.]

If you've gotten all A's since returning, I think you shouldn't fret too much about your older GPA. Mine was far worse.

Regarding hours, I'd apply with as little as 250, but realistically you're going to want to get to 400+ *veterinary* hours (which means supervised by a vet).

You'll hear people go on ad nauseum about whether it's better to shadow or better to work in the field. Plenty of us get in without a single paid day of veterinary work in our histories, so if I were you I'd ignore that whole debate - it will just frustrate you. The bottom line is that hands-on experience is nice, and gives you a clinical skills head start, but it's not necessary to get in to school.

yesnomaybe: I have the impression that schools like to see some variety in your experience, maybe even more important than number of hours. For instance I have worked in a research lab with finches, wildlife rehab center, and therapeutic riding school (relatively few hours) and at a veterinary diagnostic lab and a small animal clinic (many more hours). I'd say if you have limited time try to do something out of the ordinary even if you are interested in some other area (also get hours in your main interest of course). That way in your personal statement and your interview, you can talk about what you liked/disliked about different aspects of vet med and how that affects what you want to do with your DVM. Good luck!!

I am a non-trad applicant as well, and was worried about the same issues you are currently concerned with. I have a B.S. in Structural/Materials Engineering and had worked in the field for about a year and a half before deciding to go back to school. I had essentially zero hours of veterinary/animal hours. By the time I applied, which was about 1 year later, I had accumulated appx. 175 hours equine, 175 hours small animal and 150 hours general animal experience (dog rescue). 500 hours total...not very much. I was accepted to plenty of schools and will be attending Davis in the Fall. If your grades, letters of rec., and GRE score are great, than below average hours won't hurt you. Get as many as you can, but it won't be your pitfall. Working as a graphic designer definitely will not hurt you. I am of the opinion that the Adcom. wants you to have experience, not necessarily because you need it to do well in vet school, but more importantly to make sure that you know what you are getting yourself into; That you have seen the field of veterinary medicine from the inside. The fact that you have diversified yourself academically and professionally is a good thing. Also, SDN is an amazing place to get info and to meet people, but it also creates an incredibly competitive (sometimes passively) environment that might make you feel lackluster compared to others. Don't let it. Just get as many hours as you can and you'll be fine.

By the way, what I meant by "great grades" was last 45 and all pre-reqs.

I think a lot of these discussions get really focused on numbers of hours or where or how people should be getting hours - which is totally helpful, but I think we also need to back up and address why schools require hours in the first place.

What really matters is that you get enough experience to know what you are getting into, the good and the bad in this profession, what your future life as a vet might be like, and what aspects of the profession you are passionate about. The hope is that you are able to develop that drive that propels you through the hell that is vet school - and that when you get out on the other side, 4 years and many thousands of dollars later, that you are happy with and well suited for your chosen career.

How many hours does it take to accomplish all of the above? I don't think there is really an answer for that. I think it depends so much on who you are, what the experience is like, and what you are getting out of it. The point isn't that you spend the magical 500 hours in a clinic... the point is that you get to see the routine "boring" cases, a difficult case, a sad case, an angry client, an aggressive animal, a grateful client, a euthanasia, a client that you disagree with their medical decisions, a client with no money... that you get an idea of how a vet's day goes and what they think about and what about the job makes you want to spend 4 years studying your ass off... :)

I think a lot of these discussions get really focused on numbers of hours or where or how people should be getting hours - which is totally helpful, but I think we also need to back up and address why schools require hours in the first place.

What really matters is that you get enough experience to know what you are getting into, the good and the bad in this profession, what your future life as a vet might be like, and what aspects of the profession you are passionate about. The hope is that you are able to develop that drive that propels you through the hell that is vet school - and that when you get out on the other side, 4 years and many thousands of dollars later, that you are happy with and well suited for your chosen career.

How many hours does it take to accomplish all of the above? I don't think there is really an answer for that. I think it depends so much on who you are, what the experience is like, and what you are getting out of it. The point isn't that you spend the magical 500 hours in a clinic... the point is that you get to see the routine "boring" cases, a difficult case, a sad case, an angry client, an aggressive animal, a grateful client, a euthanasia, a client that you disagree with their medical decisions, a client with no money... that you get an idea of how a vet's day goes and what they think about and what about the job makes you want to spend 4 years studying your ass off... :)

Awesome answer! To go off of this, I learned a lot more of this when volunteering my 400 hrs at the hospital than working 1200 or whatever hours at the vaccine clinic. I learned a lot there, but the hospital dealt with a lot of the poopy parts of vet med.

I heard diversity of experience is more valuable than thousands of hours in a specialty. So even if you can only get 10 or so hours in a particular area, it is better than none in it at all.

I am also a non-trad who is working full time and got all her vet hours by shadowing. It's totally do-able! One thing I did was take my requested vacation time from work and used those days to spend a week here or there on farm runs with a mixed animal vet or at an equine only specialty hospital. Both were an hour away from where I was living at the time, and in opposite directions, of course. But every hour counts!