Veterinary/Animal experience in Texas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luvpup

Reaction score
This may be a very specific question, however I am looking for ways to increase my veterinary/animal experience hours in the city I reside in and see if maybe anyone who is from Texas, specifically in Dallas, that may know a place or two. My goal is to attend vet school in TAMU.

I have been working in an emergency vet hospital for the past year, and it has been the only vet experience I have gained. Although it is a lot of hours and I have learned so much, I wonder if this reflects negatively by not being diverse enough. There are two vet speciality centers near my area, and I have already contacted them in the interest of shadowing there, however I have not heard from them since (which kind of bummed me out)

For animal experience, my hours are even less. I did secure a diverse, mixed animal internship (mostly LA and exotics) that allowed me to gain around less than 200 hours in animal experience. Excluding animal shelter volunteer work, pet sitting and pet ownership, (mostly SA) I do not know what else to gain as experience. Living near Dallas does not provide much large animal or exotic animal experience unless I drive almost an hour out into more rural areas. Being in school and work full time does not always make that possible.

I was wondering if maybe someone who used to live in Dallas or currently resides near/in Dallas that may know a place that can provide more diverse vet/animal experience or maybe help me see someplace I may be overlooking or maybe I am looking at it in a completely different angle. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I live in Houston. I did two great experiences if you can make the trip:
1. A two-week externship with the lab animal vet at baylor college of medicine. I'm sure you could also ask other places in the med center (or try UT Dallas)
2. A seasonal position as an endangered species recovery program zookeeper at the Houston Zoo. It was an animal experience but I got to spend some time with the vets.

Thank you for responding! I am inclined to ask UT Dallas! As for the Zoo, I did attempt to try the Dallas Zoo to no avail, however I will keep looking for any openings. Either way, thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t know where you are in Dallas but if it happens to be near McKinney you may be able to shadow or volunteer at the McKinney SPCA! From what I remember when I was there they help animals of all kinds including large animals so they may be a great place to get a variety of animal experience!
Edit:
Looks like its the SPCA of Texas now but still a great experience!

Last edited:
I don’t know where you are in Dallas but if it happens to be near McKinney you may be able to shadow or volunteer at the McKinney SPCA! From what I remember when I was there they help animals of all kinds including large animals so they may be a great place to get a variety of animal experience!
Edit:
Looks like its the SPCA of Texas now but still a great experience!
I volunteer at the SPCA of Texas! I recently took on the Petsmart cat volunteer role since it is more convenient for me regarding school, but I did not know they had large animal opportunities. I might take a look into that again, thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
I volunteer at the SPCA of Texas! I recently took on the Petsmart cat volunteer role since it is more convenient for me regarding school, but I did not know they had large animal opportunities. I might take a look into that again, thank you!

I love that organization! I’m not sure about what other changes they have gone through since its been about 10 years since I’ve been there. Hoping they still have some large animal opportunities for you!

I did an internship at the Caldwell Zoo in Tyler it was the most fantastic experience I ever got! They provide housing and it is a paid internship, feel free to pm me if you want more info!