Animal Nutrition Online course through Oklahoma State? Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flotus

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I am just inquiring to see if anyone has taken Animal Nutrition (ANSI 3543E) online through Oklahoma state to fulfill a pre-req?

I'm thinking about completing it ASAP to apply to my in-state (I don't want to list it as planned). I wasn't planning on applying to my in-state but my circumstance have slightly changed.

If you have taken it:

About how long did it take you to complete it (if I start in May, can I finish by July?)
Was it challenging?
Any tips?
Any troubles?
Particularly, any trouble ordering your transcript through VMCAS?

Any information is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Idk if this is unhelpeful but im currently doing the one through purdue (ANSC 221) to fulfill the prerequisite and I've found I quite like it! I've been enrolled for over a year now but put off starting it until mid feb (bc I'm the worst) and I'm already about to take the 2nd (of 3 exams) while also being enrolled full time as a MS student. The prof is super fast at replying and the material makes a lot of sense and isn't that bad as I've found a lot of overlap between content in this course and other courses I've already taken (anatomy, physiology, biochem, endocrinology etc). I am shooting to finish by May 1st and I am on track having only started mid Feb but I'd say you could probably finish it sooner if you really dedicated the time to it. I know its not the Oklahoma one but hopefully this is also helpful!

Reactions: 1 user
No personal experience, but I did a search and was able to find a few relatively recent (≤7 years) accounts of people having taken the class:

Members don't see this ad :)
I also did the animal nutrition course in Purdue! I did it in about six months, on top of a regular semester and part time job, and got an A. Really enjoyed it and learned a lot. But you do have to put in a lot of effort!

Hi all! I am just inquiring to see if anyone has taken Animal Nutrition (ANSI 3543E) online through Oklahoma state to fulfill a pre-req?

I'm thinking about completing it ASAP to apply to my in-state (I don't want to list it as planned). I wasn't planning on applying to my in-state but my circumstance have slightly changed.

If you have taken it:

About how long did it take you to complete it (if I start in May, can I finish by July?)
Was it challenging?
Any tips?
Any troubles?
Particularly, any trouble ordering your transcript through VMCAS?

Any information is greatly appreciated!
I took this course in in between 2020-2021 and did well in it but I will say it was a hard course, therefore you might not want to take it with any other course (if you took biochemistry already that can be helpful) . I made the mistake of taking it with other courses, so it took me longer to complete. However, I had a friend who took it at the same time I did, and she was also on a time limit but was able to complete it in 3 months. However, you do have up to a year to complete it and if you need more time you can pay to add up to 3 additional months from the start date of when you began the course if you need it. What I found most challenging was that it was a lot of information to remember and the instructor who I took it with required you to read the textbook chapters (which were sometimes long, dense and went beyond the depth of the course) in additional to reading the supplemental handouts (which in some cases could be up 20 pages or more, I just rechecked because remembered that Chapter 4 on the GI tract was 47 pages :( ) that were provided to you. Your grade in the course is based on written assignments for each chapter (some of which had questions you have to answer and others that had you come up with a written assignment for that particular chapter, this I believed happened more towards the end of the course ) and 4 exams. The exams have to be proctored by someone not related to you or through a service they provide called Examity, where you have someone watching you take the exam and looking at your screen simultaneously. You have pay for the use of Examity for each exam you have proctored by them so keep that in mind if you decide to use them. Unfortunately for me, I took this course during COVID, so I did not really have an option for a live proctor that was unrelated to me. When I used them it was I think $16 plus tax or some other fee that cannot remember for each exam. Also you have to fill out a proctored exam request form for each exam and indicate the date of when you plan to take it in addition to requesting to take the exam through Examity's external website through OSU. If you need to reschedule the exam for some reason, Examity will allow you up I believe up to 3 times to change the date before they charge you again. But I would double check that because I am not 100% certain. For the written assignments, you have wait for the professor to grade the first one before you can continue with the rest of them. For instance for Chapters 4,5,6 which I believe were for Exam 2, you have to wait for the professor to grade Writing Assignment 4 before you can complete Writing Assignments 5 and 6. So if you are in bind for time, because you need to take the exam to move on to the next chapter make sure to complete it with enough time. The professor is very nice, however he tends to not be the most responsive to email. Then again, he is in Oklahoma so keep that in mind. In my case, I was on the other side of the country so perhaps the time difference contributed to that. I did not have any trouble ordering my transcript through VMCAS, once the course was completed. It was relatively quick. I want to say it took like 48 hours.. give or take. Lastly, Exam 4 is not cumulative, which is nice and if you get an A on one of the exams you automatically get an A in the course, so study hard and you will be fine. If you have any other additional questions that I did not cover in my response please feel free to PM me.