Online Animal Nutrition Course Reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

catdoctor77

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have you taken animal nutrition online? What did you think of the class? How hard is it to earn an A? Is it mostly ruminants or are companion animals studied in depth? Did you learn anything?

There are a lot of options: Oklahoma State, Rutgers, NC State, St. Petersburg, Purdue, Kansas State, and probably more.

(I've read several threads on here and other sites, but I think the pandemic has changed online learning. I'm curious if people who've taken courses recently would like to share their opinions.)

Members don't see this ad.

I took this class at Kansas State online last summer. Everything was recorded lectures and all of the course material was available at once so you could work on it whenever you pleased as long as it was in at the deadline. It was definitely one of the easier classes I've taken and an A was very achievable with considerably less effort than required for many of my science classes. Exams/quizzes were basically straight from the powerpoints given, and they even gave you fill in the blank outlines for your notes. Mostly focused on ruminants. Wouldn't say I learned a ton but I was exposed to some information I hadn't been previously (most of my experience was with companion animals).

Last edited:
I took the one from Purdue and really liked it. It's very well structured, the professor has all lectures posted, and when you should do each quiz/homework assignment. He also posts practice exams, which were very helpful!! He also answered emails very very quickly, which I really appreciated. It's definitely one of the hardest classes I've taken, and I finished in about 5 months I think (i was taking it while full time at my regular college). The last third of the class was definitely more ruminant/farm animals, but I think I really learned a lot, and I got an A (studying with lots of flash cards)

I took this class at Oklahoma State online last summer. Everything was recorded lectures and all of the course material was available at once so you could work on it whenever you pleased as long as it was in at the deadline. It was definitely one of the easier classes I've taken and an A was very achievable with considerably less effort than required for many of my science classes. Exams/quizzes were basically straight from the powerpoints given, and they even gave you fill in the blank outlines for your notes. Mostly focused on ruminants. Wouldn't say I learned a ton but I was exposed to some information I hadn't been previously (most of my experience was with companion animals).
I second this completely - I took it through OK state and had a fine time. You get a year to finish - which I took (don’t - it just drags it out and lets you procrastinate) not overly difficult. Also did not learn a ton but it used the same textbook I am going to be using in VM1 so I guess was a good prep for me