Announcement: Major Changes For The Mcat Starting 2007!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hsperson

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got scared that the MCAT might be on my 21st birthday when I take it next year so I checked online and to my great surprise found that the aamc is doing away with the old MCAT! The new one will be about 3 hours shorter (down to 5.5 hours from 8), have 1/3 less questions and only one essay instead of two! Breaks will be optional with no lunch hour, you can register up until the week before it! It will be on computer so it will be scored faster (30 days in 2007 and 14 days starting 2008). And it will be offered up to twenty times a year!!!!!!!!!!

Look at this chart

Simply put: what does everyone think about this?

Members don't see this ad.

5.5 hours sounds hellofalot better then a 8 hour test, however, I'm not too thrilled with taking a test on a computer. It seems like all MCATs after 2006 will be computer based so we might as well get use to it. I can probably type faster then I can write anyway :cool:

hsperson said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got scared that the MCAT might be on my 21st birthday when I take it next year so I checked online and to my great surprise found that the aamc is doing away with the old MCAT! The new one will be about 3 hours shorter (down to 5.5 hours from 8), have 1/3 less questions and only one essay instead of two! Breaks will be optional with no lunch hour, you can register up until the week before it! It will be on computer so it will be scored faster (30 days in 2007 and 14 days starting 2008). And it will be offered up to twenty times a year!!!!!!!!!!

Look at this chart

omniatlas said:
5.5 hours sounds hellofalot better then a 8 hour test, however, I'm not too thrilled with taking a test on a computer. It seems like all MCATs after 2006 will be computer based so we might as well get use to it. I can probably type faster then I can write anyway :cool:
The USMLE is already only administered on computers. Look at the brightside, with the MCAT on computer you'll be used to the style by the time you take Step 1 in medical school. :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
hsperson said:

Look at this chart

Calm down chicken little, we've known about this for almost a year now.

Nikki2002 said:
am i the only one who would love to have taken the mcat on the computer?? that would rock!!

the only really problem is you can't annotate on your passages.

omniatlas said:
the only really problem is you can't annotate on your passages.

For those people taking the mcats in August what do you guys think...should you take it in august and take prep courses that are currently geared towards the written test or hold out till 2007 when you can take it on the computer and the test be cut down in hours?

I feel as if the computer test would be easier but nobody would be prepared for what the computer test would be like not even TPR or Kaplan would be prepared for the changes, have experience or tricks yet. It's like a clean slate.
what do you think?

hsperson said:

Look at this chart

Finally the announcement we've all been waiting for!!!!!! :sleep:

Next thing you know we're planning to invade Iraq!!!

hsperson said:

Look at this chart

Kaplan is always having free seminars about this, I would check that out:

http://www.kaptest.com/mcatchanges

Members don't see this ad :)
so are we going to be able to have some blank paper for sketches and equations? or do you not need those during the MCAT (haven't taken it yet)

millen said:
For those people taking the mcats in August what do you guys think...should you take it in august and take prep courses that are currently geared towards the written test or hold out till 2007 when you can take it on the computer and the test be cut down in hours?

I feel as if the computer test would be easier but nobody would be prepared for what the computer test would be like not even TPR or Kaplan would be prepared for the changes, have experience or tricks yet. It's like a clean slate.
what do you think?
They will be ready. Most of their stuff is online now already.

hsperson said:

Look at this chart

Liar!

A 33% reduction in questions is tempting....one less essay to write is tempting....this could also mean they will be testing more focused material (less questions to work with).

How long does it take you to bubble vs. clicking? I was trying out one of the free AAMC practice tests today and I think I would be okay on the computer; however I noticed with the verbal section I would always go back and forth between the questions and the passages. Is there going to be a split screen?

Oh, btw...I will be annoyed as hell if I'm taking the computer based test and their monitorrs flicker like crazy. I'm pretty sensitive to light and can notice if a computer monitor's refresh rate is not set above 65hz.

I m waiting to retake the test in 2009 when they move it to cell phone based and its 3.25 hours long.

NRAI2001 said:
I m waiting to retake the test in 2009 when they move it to cell phone based and its 3.25 hours long.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I can just imagine that now. People will be claiming to learn their radiowaves by testing it with the use of their cell phones. hahahahaha

So will it be 4 days a year with 5 time slots within that 1 day, or vice versa? I don't get it...or do they mean 20 dates per year...which I find very hard to believe.

minah86 said:
So will it be 4 days a year with 5 time slots within that 1 day, or vice versa? I don't get it...or do they mean 20 dates per year...which I find very hard to believe.
There will be 4-5 "periods" in which you can take it 4-5 days within the period.

^ So it'll be something like:

Jan.-March: 4 dates within those 3 months

April-June: 4 dates within those 3 months

July-September: 4 dates ... etc.?

minah86 said:
^ So it'll be something like:

Jan.-March: 4 dates within those 3 months

April-June: 4 dates within those 3 months

July-September: 4 dates ... etc.?
Umm possibly but I would guess it would be like every Sat in January, March, June, etc.

BrettBatchelor said:
Umm possibly but I would guess it would be like every Sat in January, March, June, etc.

Do you all know when the new computer based 5hr mcat will start? January 2007?