Announcement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dddsmack

my baby and I
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
"On May 1st, 2007 all dental schools will now share a list of freshman for the 2007 class with each dental school and anyone who is holding places in more than one school will have five days to choose the school they want to attend. This is a policy change for 2007."
(ADEA sept 2006)

I can see the pros and cons of this, what do you guys and gals think about this? Were you planning on doing anything like holding multiple spots and wasting around a thousand dollars?

(If you don't understand the reason for this here is a general example. I get accepted to Case on Dec first, I pay the deposit of $1,000. Then in march Boston accepts me and I pay their deposit of $500, Then I take a few months to decide which to actually attend and give Case a call in June to tell them I won't be attending.)

Members don't see this ad.

At $1000 per school it seems pretty silly to waste your money by holding more than one spot. Your plan could still work. You just need to decide by May. I suppose this will get people off the waiting list earlier in the summer.

At $1000 per school it seems pretty silly to waste your money by holding more than one spot. Your plan could still work. You just need to decide by May. I suppose this will get people off the waiting list earlier in the summer.
It's not silly, sometimes it's inevitable. Say you get accepted by several schools Dec. 1st, but you have an interview scheduled at your top choice for January 20th. Naturally, you would reserve a spot at one of the schools that accepted you and take your interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah it's pretty smart idea, I know many people from last year, "forgetting" to withdraw after getting accepted to a new school. These spots should be opened up for people on waitlist so that they can know faster!

Well.. It wouldn't be silly if the second school you got accepted to was your state school and was $15k a year cheaper than the first school.

If you're lucky enough to get multiple acceptances on Dec. 1st or there abouts, take the month you have to make your decision amongst those schools.. and choose ONE. if you have an interview to a more desirable school at a later date, then keep your deposit at your Back up dental school and once you get accepted to another school you prefer, withdraw from the back up..

If you keep two spots until June so you have 5 months to decide, then you are completely inconsiderate.. anyone who does this deserves to be drop from both schools immediately without warning.. Do you realise that there are people pulling their hair out, unsure of their future on waiting lists? Lets do the right thing guys.. :)

i know someone that got called about an open spot on a wednesday, when class there had begun on monday, and he had a few hours to decide and begin making the move.

I know possibly the same guy. Is he from Salt Lake City??

i know someone that got called about an open spot on a wednesday, when class there had begun on monday, and he had a few hours to decide and begin making the move.
That's crazy. Imagine having to pack up, take a plane ride, cancel your plans, etc. etc. etc. :smuggrin: :smuggrin: