SHARE! How will you announce your acceptance to family?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Twinkle Moon

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
The day is almost here! Not to jump the gun, but are you planning a fun way to surprise your friends/family that you got accepted?

My situation is a bit different because I'm married with kids, so I'm more looking for ideas on how to surprise my parents and siblings who live in different states than me. It's been an extremely long and stressful road for me so it's going to be an emotional experience regardless of how I tell them, but it would be cool to hear what other people are planning.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My birthday is in December, so if I'm fortunate enough to be accepted then I'm 100% waiting to announce the news, which family and friends around. I hope you come up with a cool way to let everyone know!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Call and ask for 500k for an undisclosed reason

• Haha
Reactions: 41 users
With so many people who didn't even get an interview yet, it is kinda presumptuous of you to plan your celebration without even knowing you got accepted.
It's no big deal, just a dental school.

• Angry
  • Haha
Reactions: 12 users
With so many people who didn't even get an interview yet, it is kinda presumptuous of you to plan your celebration without even knowing you got accepted.
It's no big deal, just a dental school.
Maybe that's why I have had so many interviews... I anticipate the future and plan for it. I have worked my ass of for 10+ years to get to where I am so hell yeah I look forward to the day that I open those emails and they say CONGRATULATIONS! Whether I get in this year or not, I am planning to announce the biggest accomplishment of my life to my family in a fun and creative way. Its strange to me that you're trolling the pre dental page and don't find getting accepted a HUGE DEAL.

Reactions: 13 users
Maybe that's why I have had so many interviews... I anticipate the future and plan for it. I have worked my ass of for 10+ years to get to where I am so hell yeah I look forward to the day that I open those emails and they say CONGRATULATIONS! Whether I get in this year or not, I am planning to announce the biggest accomplishment of my life to my family in a fun and creative way. Its strange to me that you're trolling the pre dental page and don't find getting accepted a HUGE DEAL.

‘it’s a fun question to ask! Nothing wrong with this thread...especially with some of the questions/discussions that are tossed around in SDN. Well, I was fortunate enough to get several interviews and, based on my stats, accomplishments, interviews, I felt pretty confident that I would be offered a spot somewhere. What I decided to do was to hang out with my parents in the morning drinking some coffee talking about life hoping that I get a call with an offer while we were all together. I did, by a few schools, and It was an awesome experience to share the excitement, in real time, with my parents! Also, getting accepted to dental school is a big deal and certainly worth celebrating! Anyway, good luck with this cycle and be sure to keep us updated.

Reactions: 5 users
The day is almost here! Not to jump the gun, but are you planning a fun way to surprise your friends/family that you got accepted?

My situation is a bit different because I'm married with kids, so I'm more looking for ideas on how to surprise my parents and siblings who live in different states than me. It's been an extremely long and stressful road for me so it's going to be an emotional experience regardless of how I tell them, but it would be cool to hear what other people are planning.

I ordered hats from my online school bookstore that had “Tufts mom” and “Tufts dad” on it. Might be cheesy but it was a huge milestone for me and I wanted to share that with my parents

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 5 users
How do you plan to announce you finally paid back your student loans after 17 years? Never too early to have a game plan.

Big Hoss
imma treat my family to a nice brand name spaghetti dinner instead of instant ramen.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Call them, get congratulated, and then life moves on to the next thing.

If someone disagreed with you, that is not trolling!

imma treat my family to a nice brand name spaghetti dinner instead of instant ramen.

07994C7B-4AF6-49E7-A2A7-176E735F9BCA.png

Big Hoss

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
The same way I announced my first interview, a text to my fam group chat saying "OMGOMGOMG I GOT IN"

I saw someone online give their parents a doctor Barbie and they started crying. It was adorable

• Love
I saw someone online give their parents a doctor Barbie and they started crying. It was adorable
So cute!!! I saw a video of a kid who surprised his mom AT THE DENTIST OFFICE! Lmao! She was seated in the chair and he walked in pretending to be her doc. It was so cute!

• Love
‘it’s a fun question to ask! Nothing wrong with this thread...especially with some of the questions/discussions that are tossed around in SDN. Well, I was fortunate enough to get several interviews and, based on my stats, accomplishments, interviews, I felt pretty confident that I would be offered a spot somewhere. What I decided to do was to hang out with my parents in the morning drinking some coffee talking about life hoping that I get a call with an offer while we were all together. I did, by a few schools, and It was an awesome experience to share the excitement, in real time, with my parents! Also, getting accepted to dental school is a big deal and certainly worth celebrating! Anyway, good luck with this cycle and be sure to keep us updated.
I wish I could do that :( my parents are half the globe away and it sucks being unable to live with my family :(

• Sad
When I got in I didn't tell anyone. In fact, I "secretly" went to dental school. I'm a career changer that had a good gig before deciding to go back to school. A few months before I applied, I casually floated the idea of going back to school and most family members were pretty unenthused about the idea of leaving something stable and safe. So when I eventually got in, I didn't mention anything to anyone; I didn't feel like having to justify my choice anymore. I didn't officially "come out" about it until about my third week into fall semester, when people began to realize my schedule had changed significantly and I couldn't easily hide it anymore.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
One day I’ll go missing... then they will ask “where did you go?”

I’ll let them know then.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
I plan on sending a mass text to my family as soon as I get an acceptance (because I WILL be a dentist one day, I will never give up). But I also plan on making a social media post for all my friends who have been following me on this journey. I am a non-traditional student, so I want to give hope to those who are in similar shoes, and let them know to NEVER GIVE UP on your dreams! <3

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
My birthday is in December, so if I'm fortunate enough to be accepted then I'm 100% waiting to announce the news, which family and friends around. I hope you come up with a cool way to let everyone know!

I 100% didn't wait to tell my parents. Called them crying in an alleyway behind my current school to tell them I got in somewhere. yolo