Annoyed with my clinical experience. Is it better to just stick through it? Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
people embody all sorts of stupid embodied short-sighted juvenile ideologies being able to laugh at them, not personalize them or allow them to shut you down, and being able to move forward is key

Members don't see this ad.

bda93a302b5e01300649001dd8b71c47

Reactions: 1 users
people embody all sorts of stupid embodied short-sighted juvenile ideologies being able to laugh at them, not personalize them or allow them to shut you down, and being able to move forward is key
Easy for you to say when you're of the gender that has not been instructed to fellatte someone else as a means to solve a problem. Because, after all, sexism is definitely not a problem in medicine anymore.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/18/health/18surgeon.html

Members don't see this ad :)
water off of a duck's back. especially if you can laugh about how stupid it is for people to be that.

Don't worry, I'm laughing.

Reactions: 1 user
Easy for you to say when you're of the gender that has not been instructed to fellatte someone else as a means to solve a problem. Because, after all, sexism is definitely not a problem in medicine anymore.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/18/health/18surgeon.html

you can say the same exact thing to my gender, race, background, mental health, cread, and ive had just as many insults directed towards me for who I am. nobody is less affected by this or more affected by this. we are all in this together. What did the surgeon do that is so bad? i think political correctness goes to far honestly.

reread what i've said it's because I have an intelligent and overarching point of view that doesn't even pretend to take such comments seriously in the first place for one moment. next thing you'll be saying is that dave chapelle or sarah silverman can't be decent human beings because they make jokes about sexism and racism that can be taken equally offensive and doesn't jeopardize their character in the slightest. what you see is what you make of it.

You have not said a single intelligent thing in this thread... It's shocking that you felt the need to ask why someone of the opposite sex in your age demographic may feel uncomfortable with a random guy sitting in on their doctor's appointment.

where does personalizing such information get you anyway? it just gets you frustrated, angry and volatile instead of actually enabling you to resolve something and work to overcome such stuff. silencing everything or everyone who says something you dont like or having them removed is akin to hiding in your room because everyone bullies you. that is not how you deal with bullies or people with ideologies you dont like.

You have not said a single intelligent thing in this thread... It's shocking that you felt the need to ask why someone of the opposite sex in your age demographic may feel uncomfortable with a random guy sitting in on their doctor's appointment.

oh please, you're just looking for a reason to insult me and blatantly not comprehending what i say. grow up.I've given weight to both points of view and proposed a solution and information unique to my own circumstances. that's more than you've done with that post.

where does personalizing such information get you anyway? it just gets you frustrated, angry and volatile instead of actually enabling you to resolve something and work to overcome such stuff. silencing everything or everyone who says something you dont like or having them removed is akin to hiding in your room because everyone bullies you. that is not how you deal with bullies or people with ideologies you dont like.

You're right, we should be tolerant of hateful and childish attitudes in a professional setting where the goal is to build trust and respect. I cannot see how the two would be mutually exclusive. Thank you for opening my eyes with your eloquent words.

You're right, we should be tolerant of hateful and childish attitudes in a professional setting where the goal is to build trust and respect. I cannot see how the two would be mutually exclusive. Thank you for opening my eyes with your eloquent words.

now you're just trolling. if you're going to be immature and not actually read and understand what i'm saying you're not worth the effort. in the real world things more gray instead of "he's right and she's wrong" and recognizing anything else just gives credence to the idea that you're sheltered and removed from reality. the point is there's more constructive things to do than react emotionally and silence your opposition. trust and respect and understanding also involves understanding that many people have different perspectives than your own and it is key not to shut them down and engage them in a healthy way to both parties.

you're just mad about my one non-serious comment on another site not directed towards you. you have my apologies for that comment, but everything else i said still stands as valid. if you cant see that you have a lot of growing to do as an individual.

First of all, keep the discussion civil, please. Personal attacks are not allowed on SDN.

That argument might be more valid if you were a medical student and were actually potentially responsible for part of that patient's care. But you are a scribe. If the doctor introduced you as a scribe, or if the patient knows that the doctor uses scribes, the patient knows you have no business administering their care. If they have a problem with self-consciousness, you being in the room would be even more of a hindrance. I'm sorry if this doesn't agree with how you were raised or how you think it should be, but this is how it is. You, as a pre-med scribe, have zero "right" to be in the room with the patient. Rather, the patient or doctor allows you to be there if they are comfortable.

Exactly... unfortunately, you're not in medical education right now, or providing any medical care to the patient, so there's no reason you would need to be in the room.

I've had a lot of medical problems, and I've never been to a doctor who uses scribes but I don't think I would let the scribe in the room for any of my appointments, no matter which type of doctor it was. This part of my life is difficult, and largely out of my control. One of the only things I have ever been able to control about it is who has access to my health history. I will tell people general things, but I'm a private person and don't like to share details, so the only people who know a lot about my history are my close friends/family and my healthcare team. I wouldn't share this history with a scribe because they're not part of my care team. It's on a need to know basis and they don't need to know because they aren't providing care to me. It's very important to me that people see me as more than my diseases/that I'm not defined by that experience so that's why I don't share that information with people I don't know who don't need to know it. I am okay with medical students, because (especially as one myself now) I know they need to learn. I also know they understand the basics of HIPAA and would get in trouble if they violated that by sharing my info; I don't necessarily know how well a scribe (or volunteer) is trained. (I wouldn't want to be seen by a fellow medical student at my school though, because it would be a little weird, I think...)

I also agree with others about the gyn exam being one that makes the patient feel pretty vulnerable, even just the interview.

oh please, you're just looking for a reason to insult me and blatantly not comprehending what i say. grow up.I've given weight to both points of view and proposed a solution and information unique to my own circumstances. that's more than you've done with that post.
And I thought I was just subtly not comprehending... You are completely right. I logged on for the first time in months to insult you. The fact that you defend and perpetuate sexist attitudes online is deplorable.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whoah there.

This thread is getting out of hand.

just lock the thread. this thread is more about personal attacks and people choosing to get mad than understanding.

And I thought I was just subtly not comprehending... You are completely right. I logged on for the first time in months to insult you. The fact that you defend and perpetuate sexist attitudes online is deplorable.

you're just looking to be inflamed by something non serious and taking valid points wrong.

you're just looking to be inflamed by something non serious and taking valid points wrong.
Maybe your posts are inflammatory (as you've admitted) or maybe you're really bad at expressing yourself?

Point being, if you cannot see how the behaviors you're engaged in and the attitudes you're espousing here contribute to the many valid reasons you've been given for why your annoyance with your experience scribing is unjustified, well, then, perhaps you'll find a more agreeable audience back at reddit.

Maybe your posts are inflammatory (as you've admitted) or maybe you're really bad at expressing yourself?

Point being, if you cannot see how the behaviors you're engaged in and the attitudes you're espousing here contribute to the many valid reasons you've been given for why your annoyance with your experience scribing is unjustified, well, then, perhaps you'll find a more agreeable audience back at reddit.

i recognize your point of view, as well as the fact that you don't like sexism, you should recognize mine as well and my solutions to your problems. i recognize that people have rights to their own privacy but also should recognize that every part of the medical system including scribes may be able to help them and have passion that should be put to use. i actually prefer 4chan but thx.

You literally have not made a valid point. I challenge you to explain those comments you made on Reddit to your mother / sister / a female friend (any woman that plays an important part in your life) and see how your defense works out. The fact of the matter is that the comments you made are sexist and offensive. Whether or not it is normative within a particular medium is besides the point.

it's not a highly calculated decision at all lol, so dont even go there. I acknowledged your point of view, mine has an equal amount of merit.

OP, you keep saying you acknowledge everyone's opinion, but yours is of equal merit. So I'm assuming you have acknowledged the physician's opinion and deemed it to have merit. Given that it's the doctor's practice and his/her patients, your opinion does not have equal merit with theirs.
If they decide they don't need you in the room for part of a patient visit, then they don't need you in the room, regardless of whether you feel you can be helpful.

off topic...
since you asked im happy to oblige. lol, it's just a juvenile quintessential comment endemic to both reddit and 4chan. if you want to think further sexism will be encountered in many places and in every walk oflife and instead of shutting down and being appalled by people's short-sighted point of views the key is to push forward and take into account that this will be the case and learn to overcome it in a way that works for you.

water off of a duck's back. especially if you can laugh about how stupid it is for people to be that.

If i encounter sexist remarks, I don't need to push forward and overcome. It's unacceptable in a workplace, and it should be known it is unacceptable for professionals.

and if they were you couldn't possibly for one second say that would nullify their qualifications to be a doctor. being exposed to the dingus of society and making light of it is key considering you will be exposed to it on a constant bases. you will see racists, drug addicts, people who have done dysfunctional things and utilize it to express their pathology and background not only as patients but other doctors around you and making light of it is key. I've seen things from both sides and that is why I take and gain a point of view that is all inclusive.

these are not things to make light of..
You don't counter racism or sexism by making racist/sexist remarks as a joke.

I admire your writing.

OP, you keep saying you acknowledge everyone's opinion, but yours is of equal merit. So I'm assuming you have acknowledged the physician's opinion and deemed it to have merit. Given that it's the doctor's practice and his/her patients, your opinion does not have equal merit with theirs.
If they decide they don't need you in the room for part of a patient visit, then they don't need you in the room, regardless of whether you feel you can be helpful.

off topic...

If i encounter sexist remarks, I don't need to push forward and overcome. It's unacceptable in a workplace, and it should be known it is unacceptable for professionals.

these are not things to make light of..
You don't counter racism or sexism by making racist/sexist remarks as a joke.

to your last comment I mean that making a joke of it can help people overcome and no longer feel victimized. i was bullied a lot and generalized a lot because of ADD growing up, and laughing at what people said and not taking it seriously really helped me because personal attacks really expose you and make you feel vulnerable. i try and take the claw out of them and the bite out of them as a solution. i made fun of myself and my focusing issues in those posts as well. if things are taken seriously you can overcome them or anticipate them and shrug them off so they dont damage you as much as they used to. there's a good point deep down in what im saying and it's pretty evident.

to your last comment I mean that making a joke of it can help people overcome and no longer feel victimized. i was bullied a lot and generalized a lot because of ADD growing up, and laughing at what people said and not taking it seriously really helped me because personal attacks really expose you and make you feel vulnerable. i try and take the claw out of them. i made fun of myself and my focusing issues in those posts.

But you don't have the right to make that determination for others. Just because that is the way that you handle your trauma doesn't mean that is the way that everyone has to...

Reactions: 2 users
to your last comment I mean that making a joke of it can help people overcome and no longer feel victimized. i was bullied a lot and generalized a lot because of ADD growing up, and laughing at what people said and not taking it seriously really helped me because personal attacks really expose you and make you feel vulnerable. i try and take the claw out of them and the bite out of them as a solution. i made fun of myself and my focusing issues in those posts as well. if things are taken seriously you can overcome them or anticipate them and shrug them off so they dont damage you as much as they used to. there's a good point deep down in what im saying and it's pretty evident.

I'm glad making light of your situation and being able to joke about it has helped you.
But to be clear, this does not work for everyone. It is not the responsibility of the victim to make light of their own situation, push forward and overcome it.
At some point, we have to acknowledge that the root of the problem needs to be addressed, not expect people to be able to brush it off just because they may encounter it during their life.

Oops... I've been replying in this thread not knowing that OP was posting all that junk on Reddit. OP is a sexist clown that makes men look bad. I'm leaving

to your last comment I mean that making a joke of it can help people overcome and no longer feel victimized.

It can also contribute to the environment which makes victimization possible by endorsing bad behavior.

i was bullied a lot and generalized a lot because of ADD growing up, and laughing at what people said and not taking it seriously really helped me because personal attacks really expose you and make you feel vulnerable.

Isn't it nice how you can put the verb "bully" in past tense? Wouldn't it be nice if women and people of color could safely and comfortably phrase their experiences solely in the past tense?

i try and take the claw out of them and the bite out of them as a solution. i made fun of myself and my focusing issues in those posts as well. if things are taken seriously you can overcome them or anticipate them and shrug them off so they dont damage you as much as they used to. there's a good point deep down in what im saying and it's pretty evident.

There's a massive difference between punching up, self-deprecation and "holding the door open is old fashioned bullcrap. men shouldnt do it. why reward women for being female? ****'s stupid as hell. i'll do that when women suck my dick after i open doors for them otherwise they can **** off. those who want it are a bunch of entitled brats."

Seriously, your jokes are not new or funny. The themes they recapitulate are so old that they are pretty sound justification for being wary or shy of strange men in even professional settings. How is that language supposed to take the sting out of sexism?

Closing thread.

Another reminder to keep discussions civil and courteous. If a certain user is bothering you, you are welcome to use the ignore feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.