Another Doomed Cali Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Donezo

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1) Are there any particular mid-range schools in the US that particularly favor research? Most of their mission statements say something about scientific discovery or research, but its kind of hard to tell.
Einstein class schools do. But even a Nature paper isn't going to salvage a 508 MCAT

2) Is it common for ORMs with a 508 to receive IIs from UC schools? I've known a ton of applications who applied with much higher scores and didn't get any, but their apps weren't geared toward research.
Look at the median MCAT scores for UCD and UCI

3) Would Stanford screen a 508 MCAT? One of my parents went there, and it seems like a really good school, but the MSAR 10th percentile for Stanford is 513...
They sure would

I suggest the following:
U VM
U Toledo
Rush
NYMC
Creighton
Tufts
Albany
Rosy Franklin
Drexel
Temple
MCW
SLU
WVU
Wayne State
Tulane
Loyola
Wake Forest
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
VCU
Netter
Seton Hall
EVMS
Oakland-B
Gtown
GWU
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Nova MD
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.
UCD
UCI
UCR IF you're from the Inland Empire

Reactions: 1 users
1) Are there any particular mid-range schools in the US that particularly favor research? Most of their mission statements say something about scientific discovery or research, but its kind of hard to tell.
Einstein class schools do. But even a Nature paper isn't going to salvage a 508 MCAT

2) Is it common for ORMs with a 508 to receive IIs from UC schools? I've known a ton of applications who applied with much higher scores and didn't get any, but their apps weren't geared toward research.

3) Would Stanford screen a 508 MCAT? One of my parents went there, and it seems like a really good school, but the MSAR 10th percentile for Stanford is 513...
They sure would

I suggest the following:
U VM
U Toledo
Rush
NYMC
Creighton
Tufts
Albany
Rosy Franklin
Drexel
Temple
MCW
SLU
WVU
Wayne State
Tulane
Loyola
Wake Forest
VCU
Netter
Seton Hall
EVMS
Oakland-B
Gtown
GWU
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Nova MD
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.
UCD
UCI
Hi Goro,
One last question: I've applied to most the schools you suggested, and have already received IIs at AZCOM and ICOM, but I was looking at adding Liberty as well because my sister went there and had a really good experience. Do you have any reason to advice against going there (other than their ridiculous lifestyle policy?)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Goro,
One last question: I've applied to most the schools you suggested, and have already received IIs at AZCOM and ICOM, but I was looking at adding Liberty as well because my sister went there and had a really good experience. Do you have any reason to advice against going there (other than their ridiculous lifestyle policy?)
I have a profound distaste for the politics of their parent organization; there was a news report today that the University president, jerry Falwell Jr, was cenersoing any news in the campus newspaper that was critical of He Who Must Not Be Named. Their Faculty also make blatant attempts to twist facts to match their theology.

They sure would

I suggest the following:
U VM
U Toledo
Rush
NYMC
Creighton
Tufts
Albany
Rosy Franklin
Drexel
Temple
MCW
SLU
WVU
Wayne State
Tulane
Loyola
Wake Forest
VCU
Netter
Seton Hall
EVMS
Oakland-B
Gtown
GWU
Nova MD
UCD
UCI

I am a huge sports fan and also a pre-med. Just out of curiosity, how do you think the Larry Nasser situation will affect the school in admissions or the future of the school? Any insight would be welcomed. I am not applying there, but I have thought about situation affecting the school of medicine and want to know what you think the outcome will be.

I am a huge sports fan and also a pre-med. Just out of curiosity, how do you think the Larry Nasser situation will affect the school in admissions or the future of the school? Any insight would be welcomed. I am not applying there, but I have thought about situation affecting the school of medicine and want to know what you think the outcome will be.
The situation is still too nebulous to make a call...but the similar affair at Penn State sure hasn't hurt their med school.

The situation is still too nebulous to make a call...but the similar affair at Penn State sure hasn't hurt their med school.

The situation at Penn State was also a football coach and not a doctor who worked for the school. The Penn State football program was punished for their wrongdoings, that’s why I was interested in the effect of the college of medicine at MSUCOM because of Nasser’s connection with the schoo. But I gotcha! We will see.

The situation at Penn State was also a football coach and not a doctor who worked for the school. The Penn State football program was punished for their wrongdoings, that’s why I was interested in the effect of the college of medicine at MSUCOM because of Nasser’s connection with the schoo. But I gotcha! We will see.
With the Nasser story, we haven't seen the full weight of the law fall on the school yet, so that's why I can't outright refuse to recommend it.

Hi Goro,
LUCOM seems sketchy for a lot of reasons. At a premed conference one of their recruiters kept telling me their average MCAT was 510 (which can’t be right, can it?)