Another help me decide on what school thread (Pitt vs Stonybrook)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mik30102

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I have had the privilege to be accepted to several medical schools this cycle and am trying to decide between these two schools. If it helps my long term interests are currently strongly heme/onc. I could also see myself maybe doing neurology, cardiology, or pulmonology. I am almost positive I have no interest in becoming a PCP, derm, or anything surgery related. I also want to be involved with clinical trial research in my career (perhaps 75% patient care, 25% research). I don't have to much geographical preference for where I want to practice and would be fine not practicing in NY. I also have ALOT of loans already from the Pharm D (about 230k).

Stonybrook: I really enjoyed my interview day at stonybrook and could really see myself attending. I'm not sure how I feel about the 1.5 year pre clinical curriculum and there seems to be a fair amount of required attendance for non lecture activities while I prefer to just watch lectures from home at my own pace. I also want to be involved in some sort of research project while in medical school and while the opportunities at stonybrook seem descent they are also less then that of Pitt. The main benefit is I am a IS resident so it would cost 13k a year less if Pitt ends up being full price. I also like it is only a little over a hour from home.

Pitt: I also could really see myself attending here. The curriculum works around my learning style (everything is recorded for me to learn at my own pace), less non lecture activities compared to stonybrook, 2 year preclinical. The research opportunities here seem amazing and I like the built in scholarly project in the curriculum. There of course is also the "prestige" factor. Really the only thing I don't like is the cost (13k more then stonybrook), and that is is 8 hours from home.

TLDR: Financial aid has not come out yet from Pitt, but at full price is 13k/year worth it to attend Pitt, especially in my financial situation and with my career goals? If its not worth it at 13k what should be my cut off point? Thank you everyone for your advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I say stony brook. It's a good school, you liked your experience there, and I think you'll like the 1.5 year once you get into clerkships that much sooner. And with your current debt I'd say every dollar counts. Now if Pitt gives you some aid that matches the price of stonybrook, I'd say Pitt.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I guess there are a few things to consider:

1) In terms of money: Parents involved? And/or significant other? What are their stakes and/or contributions, if relevant?

2) You seem like you're interested in the IM specialties, but trust me, MANY people switch around so I feel Pitt's name will open more doors in a variety of different specialties.

3) Okay, here's some food for thought. You said Stony Brook, which is in NY. While Pittsburgh is more expensive as a school, I'd say its more affordable as a city. Thus, your 13K/yr might not be as high of a difference as you may think. (Just an estimate)
http://www.bestplaces.net/cost-of-living/stony-brook-ny/pittsburgh-pa/50000

I guess there are a few things to consider:

1) In terms of money: Parents involved? And/or significant other? What are their stakes and/or contributions, if relevant?

2) You seem like you're interested in the IM specialties, but trust me, MANY people switch around so I feel Pitt's name will open more doors in a variety of different specialties.

3) Okay, here's some food for thought. You said Stony Brook, which is in NY. While Pittsburgh is more expensive as a school, I'd say its more affordable as a city. Thus, your 13K/yr might not be as high of a difference as you may think. (Just an estimate)
http://www.bestplaces.net/cost-of-living/stony-brook-ny/pittsburgh-pa/50000

Thank you for advice. I choose Pitt already though. Got a scholarship there that made it cheaper then stonybrook!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
seems like you made the decision that you really wanted, which always makes me happy to see. plus, I don't think Stony Brook would have liked that you didn't even know their name was two words :p haha just kidding, congrats!!!

Reactions: 1 user