Another hospital closing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I'm sure there will be a lot of concerns from Georgia citizens why rural South Georgia is funding an Atlanta hospital if state funding increases. Grady already receives millions per year for a useless call center that EMS does not want to use.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm sure there will be a lot of concerns from Georgia citizens why rural South Georgia is funding an Atlanta hospital if state funding increases. Grady already receives millions per year for a useless call center that EMS does not want to use.

Would this even be true? I'm not familiar with the Georgia state-level finances, but usually cities generate far more government revenue than rural areas.

Reactions: 1 user

Doubt that is where the money will come from…more likely will be drawn away from the other state supported facilities, like MCG or MCCG and so forth. This will effect South Georgia since it’s part of MCGs catchment.

Members don't see this ad :)
To my dismay over my 10+ years I have learned that while a hospital may be non profit, or university they care nothing about anything but profit.
Non-profits can be far more predatory than the for-profit organizations.

At least for-profits are answerable to their shareholders. On the other hand, the non-profit is answerable to a board that is selected by the board and the executives creating a loop of "accountability" that guarantees a lack of accountability.

Reactions: 4 users
Indigent care should be the purview of local governments. No sane reason to run an unprofitable business. Atlanta can buy up AMC, and keep it open to provide essential basic medical services to the local population. Attach sovereign immunity clause for physicians working there. I know a local hospital that did just that. It was the only hospital in a 30-mile radius with a 95% indigent population.

Reactions: 1 users