Another internship thread, feeling discouraged...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

a student

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi friends, I need some advice...

I am currently a P2 and have been actively applying to internship positions since 2 months ago. I've emailed the DM of nearly every chain in the area, and have gotten pretty much the same response "not hiring interns right now" However, I am not sure whether they really aren't hiring or just simply didn't like my resume because I don't have tech experience.
I keep seeing posts by you guys trying to choose between different intern position offers. Some of you even got hospital positions. I was hoping to get some advice on how to apply and/or talk to DMs.
Our school has a career fair coming up in September, by then I will be competing with a bunch of classmates. I feel like I need to find a job before the career fair...

Please share experiences and provide me some advice. Thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently a P2 and have been actively applying to internship positions since 2 months ago. I've emailed the DM of nearly every chain in the area, and have gotten pretty much the same response "not hiring interns right now" However, I am not sure whether they really aren't hiring or just simply didn't like my resume because I don't have tech experience.
I keep seeing posts by you guys trying to choose between different intern position offers. Some of you even got hospital positions. I was hoping to get some advice on how to apply and/or talk to DMs.
Our school has a career fair coming up in September, by then I will be competing with a bunch of classmates. I feel like I need to find a job before the career fair...

I've had the same issues you've had and am also not sure if retail chains really weren't hiring or just didn't like me as a candidate. I remember going for my intern interview and the guy also asked me he was "concerned" I didn't have past tech experience and may feel that retail is ultimately not for me in the near future. I tried to convince him otherwise but I'm not sure. I never had a job in school but stay persistent in emailing, there's no harm in waiting till the job fair

Members don't see this ad :)
I've had the same issues you've had and am also not sure if retail chains really weren't hiring or just didn't like me as a candidate. I remember going for my intern interview and the guy also asked me he was "concerned" I didn't have past tech experience and may feel that retail is ultimately not for me in the near future. I tried to convince him otherwise but I'm not sure. I never had a job in school but stay persistent in emailing, there's no harm in waiting till the job fair
At least you got interviews, that's one foot in the door...

i hear independent positions tend to be non-paying?

Have you tried applying for tech positions? Get a job as a tech, and I agree you will be more likely to be promoted to an intern in that company. Probably even if you had a job as a clerk....it makes sense that a company is going to promote to interns people who have a proven work history for their company.

At least you got interviews, that's one foot in the door...
lol ya but that didn't get me a job unfortunately. I ended up having no intern experience during pharmacy school and just graduated. My only advice is to do what you can, be persistent, e-mail, cold call dms and even, as unfortunate as it sounds, volunteer to work for free. Sometimes a volunteer position can turn into a paid one. Plus it's good to actually have voluntary experience than spend your time just looking for paid experience . I wish I had been persistent on doing voluntary work, but I spent tons of time searching for paid internships and never ended up getting one

Reactions: 1 user
Have you tried applying for tech positions? Get a job as a tech, and I agree you will be more likely to be promoted to an intern in that company. Probably even if you had a job as a clerk....it makes sense that a company is going to promote to interns people who have a proven work history for their company.

I would, but not sure if I could since I never had a technician license. If all else fails, I might just apply as a clerk. =)

Go directly to the stores and ask the manager if they want a tech or an intern....

Reactions: 1 user
Go directly to the stores and ask the manager if they want a tech or an intern....

Of course their going to want techs. Techs get paid less and aren't stupid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course their going to want techs. Techs get paid less and aren't stupid.

Most store managers don't worry about payroll dollars. The advantage to an intern is they can reduce your workload. They can make and take doctor calls, they can reconstitute antibiotics. They can make compounds, all under the supervision of the pharmacist. So as a store manager, I want as many interns as I can get.

Most store managers don't worry about payroll dollars. The advantage to an intern is they can reduce your workload. They can make and take doctor calls, they can reconstitute antibiotics. They can make compounds, all under the supervision of the pharmacist. So as a store manager, I want as many interns as I can get.

Actually, if they are stupid, it actually increases the workload and stress of the pharmacist substantially.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, if they are stupid, it actually increases the workload and stress of the pharmacist substantially.

Very few stupid people get into pharmacy school....

Very few people in pharmacy have any experience working in ANY job whatsoever.

i hear independent positions tend to be non-paying?

sometimes.....but if it means getting experience and hours....then you do it. I had to one summer. Retail said no, independent said he couldn't pay (already staffed) but would sign off for my hours. Things can change. Later on he wanted me to come back and work for him when I graduated. Unfortunately I couldn't at the time due to an illness in the family. No doubt I would been there today.

Solution = don't hire or retain stupid interns.
LOL well said. It can be extremely stressful if you have an intern who doesn't care, doesn't want to help, or even does want to sabotage you (trust me I had this issue first starting out precepting!). It can be even dangerous for your license if you're too busy behind the counter and your intern told a diabetic to get emetrol or a pregnant woman to get excedrine migrain for her headache. So now I always "scrutinize" my intern regarding their attitudes: if they want to learn, if they wan to help or if they just want the hours and cater my precepting to those specific needs.

We take the probation period for interns seriously, we've let many go...it just doesn't work sometimes.

So my motto is....if your employees suck, it's management's fault!

I've emailed the DM of nearly every chain in the area, and have gotten pretty much the same response "not hiring interns right now"

Hi friend, try Pharmacist Recruiter of that chain. In certain area, Pharmacist Recruiter is also Intern Coordinator.

Which one is MOST important?
Work for experience?
Work for connection?
Work for money?

Good luck

We take the probation period for interns seriously, we've let many go...it just doesn't work sometimes.

So my motto is....if your employees suck, it's management's fault!

Sounds like you're a micro-manage type of woman.

Sounds like you'r a...