Another naive "do I have a chance?" thread...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adiabat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
All right, I'm really sorry to sound like a whiny high school student applying to college, but could someone tell me how likely I am to get into modest or top MSTPs?

Stats: 2 and a half years (school years) on one project, a year on another project with a different group (though not very fruitful), and three summers in a different lab with several projects. I'm a co-author on two papers and two posters. GPA: 3.81. MCAT: 33R (much lower than I predicted). And some other extracurricular crap.

Members don't see this ad.

Adiabat said:
All right, I'm really sorry to sound like a whiny high school student applying to college, but could someone tell me how likely I am to get into modest or top MSTPs?

Stats: 2 and a half years (school years) on one project, a year on another project with a different group (though not very fruitful), and three summers in a different lab with several projects. I'm a co-author on two papers and two posters. GPA: 3.81. MCAT: 33R (much lower than I predicted). And some other extracurricular crap.

You should be OK. Your GPA is fine and your research experience/pubs sound above average. I had the same MCAT score, and I was also very disappointed. However, it seems that research matters the most. It's good that you have some publicaitons... I don't have any yet and I am about to send my AMCAS in. (I am on the verge of completing the synthesis of a natural product though, so hopefully I will get my first-author pub before interviews.)

I had the same excat MCAT total and a lower GPA and my 3 years of fulltime research was much more important in me getting ~10interviews and two MSTP offers.

Adiabat said:

Members don't see this ad :)
jjmack said:
I had the same excat MCAT total and a lower GPA and my 3 years of fulltime research was much more important in me getting ~10interviews and two MSTP offers.

How many pubs did you have when you applied? Just wondering.

Having publications is important, but not the one thing that'll make or break your application. When I applied I had zero publication (one in preparation), and a few posters. I think it was more important that I had worked on a well designed project and that I could explain it to people, even if they didn't work in the same field.

Booyakasha said:
How many pubs did you have when you applied? Just wondering.
one pub and abstract and ~3 other papers in prep (my PI is very slow.)

Thats good to know that pubs don't matter as much as doing prolonged, quality research...