another "should I bother?" question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sjsharkie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm brand new to this board and I am hoping for a little advice and an outside perspective on my situation. I am planning on changing career paths from finance to medicine and while I know that this is what I want to do and am set on working as hard as I can to attain that goal, I feel like I have significant barriers barring me from entry.

When I started undergrad, I was a pre-med student majoring in chem and taking a number of prerequisites when family circumstances (dad getting stationed overseas, mother having a stroke, little sister taking drugs) took such a toll that I decided to move home and help my family out. The year I spent away and the first semester I was back, my grades were crap and I decided that I needed to step away from the hard science route because I couldn't dedicate the time and effort I needed to while working and taking care of my family, so I switched into a finance major and am finishing that up next spring.

Currently, my BPCM GPA is 2.1 with 50 credit hours. My "other" GPA is 3.6 with an cumulative GPA of 3.2. I want to go back after I graduate with my finance degree and finish my degree in chemistry, but I've been reading that it's not looked at very nicely by the ad-coms. Would it be more wise to take an informal post-bac? And if I do that, is an SMP out of the question?

I would really like your input in the situation.

Members don't see this ad.

Well as your probably aware of your going to have to get that BCMP gpa up into the 3's to have a shot at an MD school, that might take you some time. Finishing that degree in Chemistry might not be a bad idea, I am not sure who told you that that looks unfavorably? With 50 credits of science at a 2.1 you've got your work cut out for you, just calculate how many credits of upper level sciences your going to need to raise your gpa into whatever you feel the acceptable range for your targeted schools are and work towards that. Now that thats been said you might as well get something out of all the hard work your going to be putting into these classes and grab that 2nd BS in chemistry - it only makes sense.