Another vent session

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOC G.

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ugh! I am going to end up with my third c in my informal post bacc. I make b's one semester which is an improvment but then get these c's that will not leave. They are like a bad ex gf. I know why I got the c's it's because of my job. The first two c's happen in one semester because I switched from day shift to night shift during that time and if no one has done that your body and mind take a beating. I am getting a c this semester because I got a promotion to supervisor, meaning more meetings and less time for school. It sucks I think turned everything around and then this happens. Oh well, I know there is never a good excuse but I can only press on and jus take one class this next semester! Well that is it for now. Everybody take care!

Any comments would be fine!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
you are not getting Cs because of your job, you are getting them because you aren't studying the right way, or not enough, or you have problems with testing, or something like that. This kind of stuff is going to kill your dreams of getting into med school. Do not let yourself make excuses. You have to find a way to study and achieve good grades, regardless of what else is going on in your life. Until you can do that, get out of your postbacc, or it will just be a big waste of money...and it will leave you with grades that cannot be wished away.

Good points! I have decided to just take one class these next semesters before I do more damage to my GPA. Thank goodness for DO schools and them taking the retake grade ( which I will retake this class in the spring) instead.

Keep the comments coming!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to get into med school, these classes need to be your top priority. When I started in my postbacc, I had a management position that was too demanding. After one semester I figured things weren't going to work out, so I left my job for something a little less demanding. It was a big step backwards in my career, but I had already decided it was med school or bust. I had more time and less stress so I could focus on my studies. Things didn't turn around overnight and I ended up taking a year off just to focus on school. For many that's not a realistic option, but I made a lot of sacrifices and made it work.

At some point you need to decide what your priority is and put your energy in that direction.
Also, you need to figure out why you aren't doing well in these classes and fix it fast. Talk to your teachers, get a tutor, even try another school if all else fails. B's and C's aren't getting you in anywhere. :luck:

I quit working to do the postbacc in order to get through it in a bit over a year with As + study for the MCAT.

The applicant competition, at least for allo, will have all or almost all As. If your grades are different than this, unless the path you're thinking is definitely not allopathic, I would suggest stopping school to get your arms around this and deciding if going 100%, b*** to the wall, is what you want and are willing to pay the price to get.

The vibe I am getting from these comments is basically I am doomed because of the 3 low grades! I can not stop working, I can reduce the amount of time at work or reduce down to one course to help get back on track.

no, the three C's are not keeping you out of medical school. we're saying this because we are all recognizing a pattern in your behavior/rationale: making excuses.

now look, supporting yourself with a job is a GOOD excuse for mediocre grades. and adcoms are going to give that SOME consideration when reviewing your application. but at the end of the day, it's going to be hard to pass up a straight A student for a B/C student with a job.

here's my advice: change and improvement don't happen overnight. know your limits now but continually challenge them. work full-time, go to school part time, and ace your classes. then, once you proved to yourself that you can handle that much, add a more difficult courseload the next semester.

however, sooner or later, you're going to have to make sacrifices. be prepared to make a tough call between work and school eventually.