Anthropology Major?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bjt223

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if being an anthropology major will hurt me as an applicant for medical school. I am switching from a biology major to anthropology major because I didn't do too well during my lower division classes. I was thinking about switching out of biology major to anthropology and worked on improving my study skills and come back as Post-Bacc to refocus on science classes. Would this be fine?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes that would be fine. It could even be a plus, as long as majoring in a non science field does not cause you to do worse in your science classes

Members don't see this ad :)
I would love to focus on biological or evolutionary anthropology. Cultural anthropology would be close second for me.

I was an anthropology major with a cell and molec minor, the study of culture in almost any context can be portrayed in a positive light--especially considering the ever increasing globalization of patients in the united states

We don't care what your major or minor is, only that you do well.

I was wondering if being an anthropology major will hurt me as an applicant for medical school. I am switching from a biology major to anthropology major because I didn't do too well during my lower division classes. I was thinking about switching out of biology major to anthropology and worked on improving my study skills and come back as Post-Bacc to refocus on science classes. Would this be fine?

Reactions: 2 users
What was the reason for grade decline in your lower division biology courses? Bad studying habits? Lack of focus? Lack of interest? You need to address that issue first and rectify it. Secondly, genuinely ask yourself this question; why anthropology? Do you find it fascinating? If so, what aspect? What do you wish to extrapolate out of it during your undergrad? These are all important questions.

Also for some Anthropology motivation : Dr Paul Farmer is an anthropology major and his book mountains beyond mountains is a fascinating read. Secondly try to get your hands on this movie called Medicine Man. You will enjoy it. :)

Good luck.

Tbank you! Great advices! I will check it out whenever I'm done with summer school.

I loved Physical Anthropology so much I got a Bachelors and a Masters degree in Evolutionary and Biological Anthropology! I have no doubt that I will be a stronger, more perceptive, and more creative physician as a result of my exposure to the breadth of human physical and cultural diversity. It is a great degree to develop strong interdiscplinary training that combines functional anatomy with human culture and history. If you can get access to medical anthropology classes, even better!

However...

I would not suggesting switching to Anthropology because you think it will be easier than your biology courses. Most biological anthropology classes are not as dependent on rote memorization of concepts and equations as classes in biology. Nevertheless, they do still require that you absorb as much or more material through a considerable amount of reading. In addition, you will be expected to do a lot of critical analysis and writing that is quite a bit different than the straight forward stuff in most biology classes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Pro: Gonna have an awesome cGPA
Con: Gonna be unemployable if medicine doesn't work out

Not that bio majors are in high demand either :/