Any 3.3 GPA and under with Interview Invites?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a 3.6 GPA but a 3.3 sGPA (with a 31 MCAT) and have 5 invites all at MD schools!

Members don't see this ad.

Both of my GPAs are< 3.3, so far I've had 5 MD II, and 1 MD acceptance. Apply broadly (you never know who's gonna take the chance on you), and do the application cycle right and good things will happen.

3.3 sGPA and 3.4 cGPA with 3 MD/PhD invites, 31 MCAT

Members don't see this ad :)
It honestly seems a lot easier to get into med shool these days both MD and DO. Must have something to do with all the schools being built and class sizes expanding. I remember a couple yeas ago, a 24 was on the low side for DO now 22 MCATS are being accepted no prob. Definitely one of the easier times in recent American history to become a doctor. Take advantage kids.

Strongly disagree. Look at stats for acceptances into MD schools and how they have changed over the last 10 years. A 3.5 GPA and 30 MCAT used to be a shoo-in for MD. This is certainly not the case anymore. It has become more competitive. Yes there are some new DO schools with lower stats but MD schools and the well established DO schools have only become more competitive.

Strongly disagree. Look at stats for acceptances into MD schools and how they have changed over the last 10 years. A 3.5 GPA and 30 MCAT used to be a shoo-in for MD. This is certainly not the case anymore. It has become more competitive. Yes there are some new DO schools with lower stats but MD schools and the well established DO schools have only become more competitive.

I am so curious about this. It feels odd that people that would have made great doctors and would have been competitive 5-10 years ago are now having the door shut on them....?

I mean I get naturally mankind attempts to progress over time, but I mean thats a pretty short time frame to transition from someone being an awesome applicant to a poor one.

Is this also happening with the USMLE?

I am so curious about this. It feels odd that people that would have made great doctors and would have been competitive 5-10 years ago are now having the door shut on them....?

I mean I get naturally mankind attempts to progress over time, but I mean thats a pretty short time frame to transition from someone being an awesome applicant to a poor one.

Is this also happening with the USMLE?

I was talking to a physician at my school the other day who is also an admissions interviewer and he said he never would have gotten into med school if he were applying now. He said they get so many amazing applicants and just don't have enough spots. I don't think it's that the people who don't get into med school wouldn't be good doctors. I think many people who are smart and compassionate and would be awesome doctors still get rejected each year.

There are more people applying to med school these days and a lot of that has to do with the economy

3.5 cGPA/ 3.3 sGPA, MCAT 39R (p14, b13, v12)

ii at Albany, CCOM and Western University of the Health Sciences Lebanon. Fingers crossed for more! Good luck everyone! They need us long shots, since we're hungrier than everyone else!

Reactions: 1 user
3.5 cGPA/ 3.3 sGPA, MCAT 39R (p14, b13, v12)

ii at Albany, CCOM and Western University of the Health Sciences Lebanon. Fingers crossed for more! Good luck everyone! They need us long shots, since we're hungrier than everyone else!

That 39 MCAT makes you much more than a "long shot" ;). Wouldn't be surprised if you get much more interest!

3.35 cGPA, 34Q MCAT, 2 invites and 1 acceptance so far.

6 MD II, accepted at top choice, withdrew from rest, under 3.2 GPA over 35 mcat

Last edited:
That 39 MCAT makes you much more than a "long shot" ;). Wouldn't be surprised if you get much more interest!
I appreciate the optimism, and I'm trying to stay optimistic myself, but I'm a reapplicant. A strong stat doesn't necessarily balance out a weaker one.

~3.3 sci/3.4 cum 29-31 MCAT, accepted at a US MD school (Considered low tier, but I'll still be a doc!). Also have 4 interviews coming up.

Don't lose hope :)

(And no, I won't list the schools before someone asks).

Members don't see this ad :)
3.3 uG (sci and cum); all prereqs taken at community college except for physics; significantly downward trend.

30 MCAT.

3.85 gradGPA in a non-SMP.
NonTrad. Non-URM.

Accepted to MD on OCT 15 and another MD on OCT23.

Reactions: 1 users
~3.3 sci/3.4 cum 29-31 MCAT, accepted at a US MD school (Considered low tier, but I'll still be a doc!). Also have 4 interviews coming up.

Don't lose hope :)

(And no, I won't list the schools before someone asks).

Congrats of the acceptances. :)

3.2 cGPA, 3.0 sGPA, 32 MCAT, 1 II and several rejections so far. Currently in an SMP and expecting to pull a 3.35-3.4 this semester.

UGPA 2.9; post bacc c/sGPA 4.0. I think my final GPA for med school can out at a 3.38. Got an acceptance letter in the mail yesterday. There is hope!!!

Reactions: 3 users
uGPA: 3.22, cGPA: 3.1 (both of these numbers also include some post-bacc work), MCAT: 41, 15 MD II, 3 MD acecptances so far. it IS possible. best of luck to everyone applying!

-3.0 cGPA (3.52 university GPA, 2.78 community college, combined to 3.0 -- drat)
-3.5 sGPA (all university)
-MCAT 30P (10s)
-7 US MD interviews extended (attended 5, so far 4 acceptances with more news on #5 next month)

My overall grades in b.s. courses never came up during interviews. But, I tried to make myself stand out besides the typical EC:
-2.5 years electrophysiology research (chloride channel conductance research, presented at two conferences)
-current board member on IRB & ACUC and ethics officer
-prison tutoring/outreach experience
-physiology research journal club (as nerdy as it sounds)

uGPA: 3.22, cGPA: 3.1 (both of these numbers also include some post-bacc work), MCAT: 41, 15 MD II, 3 MD acecptances so far. it IS possible. best of luck to everyone applying!

lazywindmill, would you mind telling me where you interviewed/accepted. I have similar stats-- 0 interviews

lazywindmill, would you mind telling me where you interviewed/accepted. I have similar stats-- 0 interviews

I've interviewed at a range of schools, and have a few more coming up. A few top-10s, Several top-25's, and the rest in the mid to low range. I have been accepted to a top-20 so far. VERY excited about. especially after coming in so far behind.

I'm really sorry to hear that about your cycle. Hopefully this helps. When did you submit/when were you complete?

Last edited:
I've interviewed at a range of schools, and have a few more coming up. A top-10, Several top-25's, and the rest in the mid to low range. I have been accepted to a top-20 so far. VERY excited about. especially after coming in so far behind.

I'm really sorry to hear that about your cycle. Hopefully this helps. When did you submit/when were you complete?

No it doesn't . Did you do an SMP or post bacc?

I've interviewed at a range of schools, and have a few more coming up. A top-10, Several top-25's, and the rest in the mid to low range. I have been accepted to a top-20 so far. VERY excited about. especially after coming in so far behind.

Also I submitted AMCAS day 1, transcripts got a little screwed but all sec complete by late aug/early sept. I would like some names if you don't mind.

I did some classes with a post-bacc. Names include Vandy, Emory (accepted), Loyola (accepted), Case, etc.

Last edited:
all sec complete by late aug/early sept

Secondaries complete by late August is not considered particularly "early" regardless of your AMCAS submission date since many students were complete mid-July. I think that if you were not complete at some schools until September, you are still in the normal waiting period.

I did some classes with a post-bacc. Names include Vandy, Emory (accepted), Loyola (accepted), Commonwealth (accepted), Tulane, Case, etc.
Thanks , out of these I just applied to Tulane, rejected pre interview

Last edited:
Secondaries complete by late August is not considered particularly "early" regardless of your AMCAS submission date since many students were complete mid-July. I think that if you were not complete at some schools until September, you are still in the normal waiting period.

I sure hope you are right. However, I do of of some people getting ii from some of the schools I applied to and had not even done the primary till sept. They have much less ECs and MCAT, similar grades, and I think my LORs would be a lot stronger. One of them had masters with a 4.0 , not related to medicine.
I am so disheartened with this system . I pulled myself from a not interested ,party girl, with a stop and start 2.5 GPA to 3.6-3.9 last 8 semesters. (repeated a lot of classes from earlier, so have a huge number of credits under my senior year). Took the hardest possible classes , many I didn't even need but just because I wanted to know more.
A part of me says, if this is what determines who becomes a doctor, maybe I wasted a large part of my life.

Last edited:
I did some classes with a post-bacc. Names include Vandy, Emory (accepted), Loyola (accepted), Commonwealth (accepted), Tulane, Case, etc.
Also, as
Could be a personal statement issue? Did you apply broadly?

I don't think a personal statement issue. I got a few people to read it, they all said it was amazing. I think I applied broadly ...

3.52 cGPA
3.47 sGPA
29 MCAT

This thread gives me hope!:thumbup:

3.3 cGPA/3.1 sGPA/31 MCAT
4 DO interviews, attended 2, got accepted to both
1 MD interview, 1 acceptance and will be matriculating!

3.3 cGPA/3.1 sGPA/31 MCAT
4 DO interviews, attended 2, got accepted to both
1 MD interview, 1 acceptance and will be matriculating!

My stats are very similar, did you have to do a post-bacc or SMP?

Have had 2 II so far, both resulted in WL

My stats are very similar, did you have to do a post-bacc?
Yup. Those GPAs were after 3 semesters of post-bacc work. Before my post-bacc, I actually had a 3.2 cumulative and a science gpa under 3.0...

3.0 cGPA / 3.1 sGPA / 31N
2 DO interviews, 1 MD interview
MD and DO acceptance

I did both a informal post-bacc (3.86) and SMP (3.96). However, I am a re-applicant and applied kinda late (complete mid-late September). A little upset that I didn't receive any other MD interviews, but ahhh well!

3.0 cGPA / 3.1 sGPA / 31N
2 DO interviews, 1 MD interview
MD and DO acceptance

I did both a informal post-bacc (3.86) and SMP (3.96). However, I am a re-applicant and applied kinda late (complete mid-late September). A little upset that I didn't receive any other MD interviews, but ahhh well!

Congrats nonetheless on your MD acceptance! You certainly had a long road (post-bacc + SMP + re-app), so it must have felt so great to have that acceptance under your belt :D

Congrats, NorthernMav!

I guess I'll put in an update on my application season! ~3.15 c / 3.15 s AACOMAS, ~ 3.1 c / 3.0 s AMCAS, 36Q MCAT. 3 yrs research experience post-undergrad.
I've had 2 MD interviews (one "on hold" and one "under consideration" decision) and 1 DO acceptance (MSU-COM, the only one I applied to). Still nothing from ~ 10 MD schools.

Hope the rest of you are having success!

3.27/3.27 GPA, 35 MCAT, 3 II (2 OOS, 1 IS), 2 years research experience, EMT certification, 1 publication, various shadowing and volunteering.

1 acceptance so far. Withdrew from one of the OOS interviews, waiting on the state school.

Thanks , out of these I just applied to Tulane, rejected pre interview

Same

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats to those of you with acceptances!

My <3.3 sGPA and cGPA along with my 34 MCAT has gotten my 3 MD interview invites at this point. I'm now sitting on one waitlist, one hold, and one interview still pending. This waiting game sucks :(

I usually just check MDapplicant for stuff like this.
I'm not sure how accurate they are though

GL

3.08 s/c GPA, 33R -> 34 MCAT (taken twice)

4.0 grad GPA + tons on tons of EC's

3 MD II's, 2 DO II's so far

3.3 overall; <3.0 science; >3.7 grad school
<33 MCAT (2nd time)
10 II (MD programs); 4 acceptances (praise God!) and 1 waitlist
URM

miracles happen! will take some patience and perseverance

<33 MCAT (2nd time)
URM

Why are you praising God? It was your hard work and tenacity that led you to success.

<33 MCAT (2nd time)
URM

Great!

Can someone tell me what II means? Interview?

bump - any updates for the 2015 cycle?

(details that would be nice to know - mcat score/range, any exceptional ECs/life experiences, and for MD II whether is state school)

Last edited:
bump - any updates for the 2015 cycle?

(details that would be nice to know - mcat score/range, and for MD II whether is state school)

In the 2014 cycle I applied with a 3.25 GPA and 34 MCAT and received 5 MD interviews ultimately resulting in 2 acceptance (one was my state school).

Reactions: 7 users
Bump. I think it's important for some people to see this.

for the other low stats kids, my sGPA is 3.0-3.3 / cgpa 3.2-3.5 / mcat 31-34, and though I've only gotten 2 II's so far, one acceptance! (next interview coming up later) will update later in the cycle, but everyone keep your chins up!