Any advice about how to transfer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ibarne242

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, about to start intern year and geographically, I am really more sad than I ever thought I was going to be. I wanted to end up in the Chicago area, and I stupidly put a program higher than I really should have and ended up matching close to another major city on the east coast. I actually like the east coast (the particular area I'm in is meh) but it's just, I feel so cheated, both by myself and also with the process (I matched low-ish on my list despite being a really good applicant imo) and wondering why the hell I wasn't better at seeing how problematic this would be being far away from my family. I know what you're thinking, this is frowned upon and not a good look. I totally, totally get that, and I am kinda embarrassed.
I haven't decided if I really am going to go through with attempting to transfer. truly. I just am considering it.
When do I reach out to my PD? how is scheduling interviews going to work? Any other tips if possible? Does it change things (i.e. make things easier) if I'm just reapplying for a pgy-1? Can I use some of my med school lor's or will they all need to be new? thanks so much.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Dude/dudette, chill. Change is scary, you made it this far demonstrating your ability to deal with adversity, you will be fine. You'll make friends, learn cool things about a new place, learn awesome new skills and expand your horizons. It's like college again with awful work hours.

Advice: you are just starting, give it a little time and a fair shake, most people in your position actually come back and report super positive experiences. I advise sincere effort at adjusting for minimum 3 mo, though it's around the 6 mo mark that things really tend to click for most interns. If things are really not working out, talk to your PD.

Consider your situation carefully before seeking to initiate a lateral transfer ( pgy-1->pgy-1) vs re applying and repeating a pgy1 year. If you matched lower on your list this year, there is reason to believe you may not get the outcome you seek in a transfer.

If successful, your new program may blow chunks compared to original one- you get crap training but get to be close to your family i guess. Not the best way to spend 7 years of your life and hundreds of thousands of dollars imo, especially since residency is temporary and you basically write your own ticket to wherever you want with board specialization in FM ...

Aamc has a website where programs with open spots can list/advertise. You'll have to google it, but that may be a resource for you.

If you know people in the midwest who seek to be on on the east coast, you can discuss position swap with them and your respective PDs also

But seriously though, chillax, you're going on an adventure Bilbo Baggins

Reactions: 1 users
Dude/dudette, chill. Change is scary, you made it this far demonstrating your ability to deal with adversity, you will be fine. You'll make friends, learn cool things about a new place, learn awesome new skills and expand your horizons. It's like college again with awful work hours.

Advice: you are just starting, give it a little time and a fair shake, most people in your position actually come back and report super positive experiences. I advise sincere effort at adjusting for minimum 3 mo, though it's around the 6 mo mark that things really tend to click for most interns. If things are really not working out, talk to your PD.

Consider your situation carefully before seeking to initiate a lateral transfer ( pgy-1->pgy-1) vs re applying and repeating a pgy1 year. If you matched lower on your list this year, there is reason to believe you may not get the outcome you seek in a transfer.

If successful, your new program may blow chunks compared to original one- you get crap training but get to be close to your family i guess. Not the best way to spend 7 years of your life and hundreds of thousands of dollars imo, especially since residency is temporary and you basically write your own ticket to wherever you want with board specialization in FM ...

Aamc has a website where programs with open spots can list/advertise. You'll have to google it, but that may be a resource for you.

If you know people in the midwest who seek to be on on the east coast, you can discuss position swap with them and your respective PDs also

But seriously though, chillax, you're going on an adventure Bilbo Baggins
And it's not even change is the thing. I actually did med school on the east coast too, but more in nyc, which I now live 1.5-2 hrs from. Scenery is largely the same, it's just not New York. But I just find myself resenting not focusing more on getting back to Chicago sometimes like today. I'm giving it a solid go and will put my all in, I'm just considering a transfer and putting it on the backburner

Reactions: 1 user