How to transfer license after residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mommy2three

PGY-1
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know I am thinking way ahead but I am trying to gather as much information as possible as I get ready to make my rank list.
It is my understanding that you are licensed in the state where you do your residency after you take step 3.
My question is say if I end up say in Indiana but do not stay there to practice but rather come back to Illinois or Wisconsin, how easy is it to get the license transferred from one state to another?
Thanks for your help :)

Members don't see this ad.

You really do not understand medical licensing. Each state has and needs you to complete an application process. Once you meet the state requirements of post graduate medical training (signed residency contracts, letters from the PD, passed Step III,etc) than you can apply and pay for that process. I doubt in Indiana you automatically receive a medical license after passing Step III, you need to apply to the Board of Medicine in each state you desire a license to practice medicine. I am familiar with this because my son has obtained license in NY, FL and is applying to NJ, while he is doing his chief resident year PGY-III.

You really do not understand medical licensing. Each state has and needs you to complete an application process. Once you meet the state requirements of post graduate medical training (signed residency contracts, letters from the PD, passed Step III,etc) than you can apply and pay for that process. I doubt in Indiana you automatically receive a medical license after passing Step III, you need to apply to the Board of Medicine in each state you desire a license to practice medicine. I am familiar with this because my son has obtained license in NY, FL and is applying to NJ, while he is doing his chief resident year PGY-III.

The way it is being presented in interviews to me as an applicant is that once you take step 3 you then get your license from the state medical board.
So you are right in that I may not yet fully understand the process having never gone through it not having anyone in my family who is a doctor and therefore not having anyone to ask about these things.

I am trying to get a grip on how easy or not easy it is to get a license in a different state than the one you were trained in.
Obviously from your answer it is not as challenging as I thought.

Members don't see this ad :)
The way it is being presented in interviews to me as an applicant is that once you take step 3 you then get your license from the state medical board.
So you are right in that I may not yet fully understand the process having never gone through it not having anyone in my family who is a doctor and therefore not having anyone to ask about these things.

I am trying to get a grip on how easy or not easy it is to get a license in a different state than the one you were trained in.
NO, once you pass step III you can apply for your license, it is not automatically granted. The "easiness" depends on the state. My Texas license took 10 months, first you have to apply for the DEA, then in TX, the DPS before you can apply for the license. Then you have to get fingerprinted and go through the Federal back ground check. There is ALOT to do before you just go out and practice. My Montana license took 3 months. Colorado 3 months, Oregon 10 months, Alaska 12 months, Nevada 6 months.

The KEY is to have all of your documents scanned on your computer so you can email what is requested of you. This includes driver's license, marriage license, Social security care, birth certificate, all your school diplomas, etc.

AND: you don't "transfer a license" you can keep one active and apply for the next state license, or you can inactivate the current and apply for the other. Be sure to inactivate your current license when you move so in case you ever go practice where you did residency you can just pay the fee to re-activate it and not have to start from scratch to re-apply for a lapsed license.

Cabinbuilder -
Thanks for the clarification and information.
Since I have some time I am going to start gathering what i can now and scanning it into a file on my computer so everything is in one place for easy access.

Cabinbuilder -
Thanks for the clarification and information.
Since I have some time I am going to start gathering what i can now and scanning it into a file on my computer so everything is in one place for easy access.

I forgot to add that you can have more than one active license, you just have to pay the fees when they come due. I have 4 active since I"m locums and that gives me 4 states I can get jobs in.

I will also add that the cost for a new license is about $2000 total each time. They run $500-800 every 1-2 years to renew. Some states give you a 2 years, some states a one year. Be sure you read everything on the state licensing board website as to steps you need to do. Some states have a combined MD/DO board. Some states like Nevada have separate boards so be sure you are getting the correct information.

You can save yourself A LOT of time if you go through FCVS - federal credentialling verification service - most state boards will take their info. Once you are verified you can just request that your info be sent to what ever board you want. Because the steps are the same whether you go through FCVS or not but at least you can cut out a lot of extra headache in the future if FCVS has your stuff on file. Be sure the board you are applying to uses them. Nevada, requires that you used them, etc.

I forgot to add that you do not have to apply for a license in residency. Most only do that if they plan to moonlight 3rd year or intend to stay in the state they did residency. Usually when you are looking at jobs post residency and go through a recuriter, the job you are taking does a lot of the paperwork for you and guides you in the process.

To "mommy2three", an easier method would be to call the state's board of medicine or go to their website. In FL and NY for example they state each piece of information you would need and what the requirements are to even apply for an active medical license in that state. Time frame depends upon your/the state. As "cabin builder" stated 10 months for Texas. I have seen here on student doc Ill take 6 months. In FL my son's took 4 months, while NY took 3 months. he expects NJ (which is his state where he is doing residency) will take a few months. The reason to obtain a medical license early is threefold; 1. Moonlighting, if allowed in or by your residency, 2. once you graduate from the residency if you can not practice the next day because of no active license, than the downtime! Better to hit the ground running so to speak, 3. Many places WILL NOT even interview you in your third year or final year of residency for possible "jobs". This is very common. My son has stated that some of the initial phone contact or e/mail questions from job opportunities are: Are you still in residency/When do you finish? Have you passed Step III? Do you have an active medical license and DEA#? But "moomy2three" once you start your residency you can ask the senior residents or even your PD or assigned program mentor how to proceed.. Or you can PM me

We are required to have our license in hand to start third year of training, regardless of whether we plan to moonlight. I'm unsure if that's a California regulation or what (the way our PD talks about it, I always thought it was an ACGME thing, but from what I'm hearing above, sounds like not.) And they are super strict about it. No license = no work on July 1st of third year. That said, we get a lot of support in applying for it starting day 1 of second year. (and the program pays our licensing fees, which is nice.) To get that license, we have to have passed Step 3 AND have completed all of intern year.