Navy Any advice for new attendings?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perrotfish

Has an MD in Horribleness
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the title says. I am in my last rotation of my Pediatrics residency and I'm not going to be a Chief resident. I'm about to venture out to my very own small MTF to cover clinic and nursery. I currently have no idea if I want a military career, to transition to civilian primary care, or to do a fellowship. Any advice on mistakes I shouldn't make? Good habits to establish early? Battles I should or shouldn't fight? Things I should be doing to keep myself marketable outside of the military, or promotable within it?

Members don't see this ad.

Lay low for the first 90 days. Don't try and make any sweeping changes at first. Just lay low, be a team player and learn the ropes of where you are. Also, don't be scared to ask your partners advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not an attending...just a simple know nothing Flight Surgeon. But I have run a department in my clinic.

I couldn't agree more strongly about laying low the first 90 days. The truth is that you don't know anything about how things work. You are unlikely to get much respect by jumping out of the game and trying to implement change.

But you do need to keep your eyes open. Chances are that once you are there over 6 months, things will become routine. It often takes a fresh prospective on something to notice that there's a problem. Always ask why things are done the way they are...and how they can improve.

Be sure that you align allies...being a team player and great physician will do that for you.

I can only hope that things are different where you're going than they are here, but:

1 - Definitely lay low at first, get an idea of how things work and what to look out for. Ask your partners. Be extremely happy that you have partners, and look out for each other.

2 - Be a doctor first. If you're not doing that, you're doing it wrong. It's not that you can't be an officer, and you should be if you want to stay in the service, but that comes second. Unless you're extremely unlucky (as I was) you won't have to decide one way or another in any significant way, but there will be little things.

3- There are three kinds of people in your hospital: Those that want to help you take care of patients (directly or indirectly), Those that say they want to take care of patients, but really just want the paperwork to reflect that patients are being cared for, and background noise. During that initial period, do your best to figure out who is who because it will make it easier to do your job in the future. Sometimes the first two types of people are doing the same job, and sometimes they're not.

4 - Spend time with your family. You just stopped being a resident. It is very important that you metamorphosize into a physician which requires that you put your head down and work, but at the same time you are going to have more free time. At some point you have to decide whether you're going to be the type of doc who is his work, or the type of doc who is happy. It's a balancing act at first because that first year out is a doozy, but don't neglect your family.

5 - Finally, unless you're going to a major MEDCEN with a lot of support, realize that you have your limits. Its difficult going from residency where you basically accept everything to going into a practice where there are some things you definitely should be attempting. There is an addage that the first time you send something out will be the last time you treat it. There is some truth to that, because you start to lose comfortability. At the same time, you'll definitely be uncomfortable dealing with something if you have a major complication because either you or your facility was unprepared for it. This is an especially significant issue in military medicine, where a lot of the smaller MEDCENS simply don't have the capability to deal with morbid conditions. I recall a patient that I discussed with a pediatrician at my SCEN ($#!T-CEN). She was seeing an 18 month old child for FTT. He had some genetic disorder that I had to look up. He had a trach due to stenosis from prolonged intubation and a PEG for his dysphagia and he had a history of recurrent aspiration pneumonia. She wanted to know if I would evaluate him for decannulation. In residency, I wouldn't have even thought about it. No big deal. And if everything went well, we could have handled it here, too. But if things didn't go well, that kid would have died here. It's not that I can't trach a kid - or re-trach a kid - if need be. It's that 1: they haven't done a pedi trach here in probably ever, 2: the nurses have no idea how to start a pediatric iv, let alone listen for early warning signs or run a pediatric code (yes, they're certified to do so, but that ain't the same thing), 3: we have no ICU let alone a pediatric ICU to ventilate the kid when he aspirates and desats. So for me, it was a no brainer that this kid needed sent out and that he probably shouldn't have been stationed here in the fist place. Take home point: know not just your limits, but the limits of your facility. BTW, I got an ear full for sending that kid out. Command couldn't understand how I could be credendialed to work with pediatric patients, but couldn't treat this kid....Go back to the second type of person in part 3 above...

Reactions: 1 user
Although I'm ARNG I went from residency to a small hospital as a pedi so I understand that transition. I agree about taking a few to more than a few months to get a lay of the land. Ask your partners for help if you don't understand something or want to find out the easiest way to make things happen. I learned so much my first year. You'll make mistakes and learn how you'll do it differently next time. Ask lots of questions of your staff and partners. It's one thing to resuscitate a 33 weaker. It's another thing to do it without a NICU doc and NNP whispering in your ear what to do next..... Did I mention to ask lots of questions of your partners??

I can only hope that things are different where you're going than they are here, but:

1 - Definitely lay low at first, get an idea of how things work and what to look out for. Ask your partners. Be extremely happy that you have partners, and look out for each other.

2 - Be a doctor first. If you're not doing that, you're doing it wrong. It's not that you can't be an officer, and you should be if you want to stay in the service, but that comes second. Unless you're extremely unlucky (as I was) you won't have to decide one way or another in any significant way, but there will be little things.

3- There are three kinds of people in your hospital: Those that want to help you take care of patients (directly or indirectly), Those that say they want to take care of patients, but really just want the paperwork to reflect that patients are being cared for, and background noise. During that initial period, do your best to figure out who is who because it will make it easier to do your job in the future. Sometimes the first two types of people are doing the same job, and sometimes they're not.

4 - Spend time with your family. You just stopped being a resident. It is very important that you metamorphosize into a physician which requires that you put your head down and work, but at the same time you are going to have more free time. At some point you have to decide whether you're going to be the type of doc who is his work, or the type of doc who is happy. It's a balancing act at first because that first year out is a doozy, but don't neglect your family.

5 - Finally, unless you're going to a major MEDCEN with a lot of support, realize that you have your limits. Its difficult going from residency where you basically accept everything to going into a practice where there are some things you definitely should be attempting. There is an addage that the first time you send something out will be the last time you treat it. There is some truth to that, because you start to lose comfortability. At the same time, you'll definitely be uncomfortable dealing with something if you have a major complication because either you or your facility was unprepared for it. This is an especially significant issue in military medicine, where a lot of the smaller MEDCENS simply don't have the capability to deal with morbid conditions. I recall a patient that I discussed with a pediatrician at my SCEN ($#!T-CEN). She was seeing an 18 month old child for FTT. He had some genetic disorder that I had to look up. He had a trach due to stenosis from prolonged intubation and a PEG for his dysphagia and he had a history of recurrent aspiration pneumonia. She wanted to know if I would evaluate him for decannulation. In residency, I wouldn't have even thought about it. No big deal. And if everything went well, we could have handled it here, too. But if things didn't go well, that kid would have died here. It's not that I can't trach a kid - or re-trach a kid - if need be. It's that 1: they haven't done a pedi trach here in probably ever, 2: the nurses have no idea how to start a pediatric iv, let alone listen for early warning signs or run a pediatric code (yes, they're certified to do so, but that ain't the same thing), 3: we have no ICU let alone a pediatric ICU to ventilate the kid when he aspirates and desats. So for me, it was a no brainer that this kid needed sent out and that he probably shouldn't have been stationed here in the fist place. Take home point: know not just your limits, but the limits of your facility. BTW, I got an ear full for sending that kid out. Command couldn't understand how I could be credendialed to work with pediatric patients, but couldn't treat this kid....Go back to the second type of person in part 3 above...

This is a REALLY good post! Once I left my residency, my skill set was rarely the reason somebody couldn't be cared for at my facility. And yes, many MTFs don't care and will pressure you into dangerous situations caring for things that have no business being cared for at outlying podunk clinics. Don't cave. YOU'RE the subject matter expert.

This is a REALLY good post! Once I left my residency, my skill set was rarely the reason somebody couldn't be cared for at my facility. And yes, many MTFs don't care and will pressure you into dangerous situations caring for things that have no business being cared for at outlying podunk clinics. Don't cave. YOU'RE the subject matter expert.

And make absolutely no mistake: when something goes wrong because you did something you shouldn't have done, your command is going to throw you under the bus. It might not be your immediate supervisor. It may not be your lane chief. It may not even be the hospital commander who gives you up. But big mistakes climb the ladder, and eventually - even if all of those people really do have your best interests at heart - some JAG officer or someone at OTSG is going to realize that you're supposed to be the expert and you should have known better. Be wary.

You have to act responsibly on the civilian side as well, so that part isn't isolated to military medicine. But I've never felt pressured on the civilian side in the same way I am here.

This is definitely going to a be a battle for me. I know myself well enough to know that I shouldn't be transitioning away from Resident study habits much, if at all, during my first year. After that, though, I know I'm going to need to start making decisions about how much I want to work. I honestly have no idea when I should make the transition, or what my ultimate goal for work hours should be.

This is definitely going to a be a battle for me. I know myself well enough to know that I shouldn't be transitioning away from Resident study habits much, if at all, during my first year. After that, though, I know I'm going to need to start making decisions about how much I want to work. I honestly have no idea when I should make the transition, or what my ultimate goal for work hours should be.
That is tough, and very personalized. As you said, that first year you really do want to keep your head down and work. It's more like an unsupervised year of residency than it is like your first year out of residency. You'll really learn what you do know, what you need to learn, and what you're just not comfortable doing. But even though I worked hard that first year, my biggest struggle was having too much time. After med school and 5 years of residency, I had trouble processing it. I always felt like I needed to be doing more, but there wasn't any more to do. Still, it gives you time to study for boards and to brush up some of your skills - especially the basic stuff that you've been delegating to junior residents for the last "X" years, but which now represents the bulk of your work.
I would definitely recommend keeping your spouse/SO in the discussion when it comes to taking on additional responsibilities or more work. If you feel stretched thin, it's obvious that you need to back off. But you won't necessarily know when your SO feels that way unless you talk about it. If you're both happy, then you're doing the right amount of work. But it's easy to stay in resident mode, where happiness takes a back seat to being a resident. That's done now. You don't need to put literally everything else on the back burner.

Reactions: 1 users
Any advice for a new Peds attending on where to moonlight? I want to prevent skill atrophy (at least while I am in the Navy and reliant on several rarely used skills) but I have so many skills I'm worried about atrophy in that I'm honestly not sure which to focus on. Places I've thought of

Peds Urgent Care
Advantage: Convenient hiring process. Undifferentiated acute complaints
Disadvantage: Probably the most like what I'll be seeing anyway.

NICU hospitalist weekend coverage
Advantage: Sick babies and deliveries. The skill I'm most worried about losing
Disadvantage: Sick babies and deliveries. The most stress inducing part of my job and I'm increasing it by an order of magnitude.

PICU hospitalist weekend coverage
Advantage: Procedures
Disadvantage: Lots of kids so sick I will never see them in practice

Telemdicine:
Advantage: Convenience
Disadvantage: Like urgent care, but without a physical exam

Hospitalist isn't on the list because I can't find anywhere that will let me cover just weekends.

Any thoughts? I was planning to start moonlighting about 6 months in.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Any advice for a new Peds attending on where to moonlight? I want to prevent skill atrophy (at least while I am in the Navy and reliant on several rarely used skills) but I have so many skills I'm worried about atrophy in that I'm honestly not sure which to focus on. Places I've thought of

Peds Urgent Care
Advantage: Convenient hiring process. Undifferentiated acute complaints
Disadvantage: Probably the most like what I'll be seeing anyway.

NICU hospitalist weekend coverage
Advantage: Sick babies and deliveries. The skill I'm most worried about losing
Disadvantage: Sick babies and deliveries. The most stress inducing part of my job and I'm increasing it by an order of magnitude.

PICU hospitalist weekend coverage
Advantage: Procedures
Disadvantage: Lots of kids so sick I will never see them in practice

Telemdicine:
Advantage: Convenience
Disadvantage: Like urgent care, but without a physical exam

Hospitalist isn't on the list because I can't find anywhere that will let me cover just weekends.

Any thoughts? I was planning to start moonlighting about 6 months in.

My command basically wouldn't let me moonlight: I could moonlight, but I was forbidden from seeing TriCare patients. Which menat I could only moonlight in places that had 2 docs covereing so the other one could see the TriCare patients. That meant I had to ~90minutes away. On top of my 50hr a week job. It just wasn't really possible.

I hope it can work out for you.

I'm not a pediatrician, but I can comment a bit:

Obviously, I had the same stipulations about Tricare. It isn't that you can't see them, it's that you cannot bill for your services when and if you do see them. I had a call sharing arrangement locally (which was a life saver for me). I rarely saw Tricare because they usually went on post, but if I did I had to send a memo to the group letting them know that they could not bill for my services. You sign a letter, regardless of where you moonlight, acknowledging that you cannot double dip.

The opportunities for moonlighting for cash locally in my field are almost always unavailable. That means that I've always had to take leave and fly out for work. For my field, the pay and the extra cases are worth it. But that's something you have to decide. If you do, there are locums companies out there who I promise work with a lot of military docs from all branches and all walks, and they can help you find a place if there isn't one locally.

I'm not a pediatrician, but I can comment a bit:

Obviously, I had the same stipulations about Tricare. It isn't that you can't see them, it's that you cannot bill for your services when and if you do see them. I had a call sharing arrangement locally (which was a life saver for me). I rarely saw Tricare because they usually went on post, but if I did I had to send a memo to the group letting them know that they could not bill for my services. You sign a letter, regardless of where you moonlight, acknowledging that you cannot double dip.

Right, but the odds of getting a thrid party hospital to hire me for moonlighting that might not be able to bill for vs anohter candidate made moonlighting non-feasible.

I'm not a pediatrician but I moonlight at a place where occasionally I take care of Tricare patients. The group simply doesn't bill those patients.

They're infrequent enough that the group is willing to eat the cost just to have me cover their vacation times. But, this is a location that has a chronic recruitment problem (out in BFE).

I'm allowed to moonlight, but unable to see Tricare. The clinic gets around it by denying care for those patients...pretty crappy. My moonlighting days are over...wasn't worth the liability.

Right, but the odds of getting a thrid party hospital to hire me for moonlighting that might not be able to bill for vs anohter candidate made moonlighting non-feasible.
Not if you look for a locums gig. Companies like Weatherby and Comphealth do that sort of thing all the time. Things might be different with pediatrics, but I get a constant stream of offers. The truth is that most locums docs aren't, shall we say, "competent?" So the hospital's I've worked with love military docs. We're hungry for money and work, but not because we've been fired from everyplace else.
Most of the places are either inner city or BFE, as pgg mentioned, but who cares? And the locums companies cover your insurance, licensing, what-have-yous. It's not all cherries. There's always a reason the hospital hasn't been able to hire a full time doc. It just depends on whether or not it's worth it to you.

If it has to be local, then yeah it will be harder. ER, anesthesia, radiology, maybe a few others, have a much better time getting nearby gigs from what I've seen. So it is specialty-dependent.

Last edited:
Not if you look for a locums gig. Companies like Weatherby and Comphealth do that sort of thing all the time. Things might be different with pediatrics, but I get a constant stream of offers. The truth is that most locums docs aren't, shall we say, "competent?" So the hospital's I've worked with love military docs. We're hungry for money and work, but not because we've been fired from everyplace else.
Most of the places are either inner city or BFE, as pgg mentioned, but who cares? And the locums companies cover your insurance, licensing, what-have-yous. It's not all cherries. There's always a reason the hospital hasn't been able to hire a full time doc. It just depends on whether or not it's worth it to you.

If it has to be local, then yeah it will be harder. ER, anesthesia, radiology, maybe a few others, have a much better time getting nearby gigs from what I've seen. So it is specialty-dependent.

Yeah, I had a family that I was frustrated about not getting time with because my job sucked. Locums would've been too much of a commitment for me personally.

Yeah, I had a family that I was frustrated about not getting time with because my job sucked. Locums would've been too much of a commitment for me personally.
No doubt. I'm on a bit of a break currently for the same reason. The pay is great. I always looked at a week of locums as a two week vacation for the family. The problem is, you have to remember to take that vacation rather than just doing more locums.

Follow up question: as an attending, what is the culture when it comes to taking sick days? I'm not planning to abuse this or anything, but I am in Peds and one of my least favorite parts of the last three years has been working while gasping for air multiple days out of every winter. Do you feel like the resident culture of no sick days bleeds over into attending culture, or when you're puking/gasping do you pretty much just call in sick?

Just because you graduate residency and become an attending does not mean that you are no longer a workaholic. In my shop there are only two people who called in sick in the last two years – both of them with vomiting. There is certainly not an institutional policy pushing doctors to continue working. I think that it is all intrinsic work ethic.

It's like any other decision you make, a pro/con balance between how sick you really are, if you're just uncomfortable vs on the edge of impairment, the burden to your colleagues if you don't come in, and the inconvenience to your patients if they have to reschedule.

As a rule, if you can safely do the work, you should, even if you don't feel great.

In my two years as an attending, we've had only one attending 'call out.' The first time, he came in, felt funny, put himself on monitors, found out he was in a-fib, and got admitted. The second, he came in, looked like ****, and was sent home, rather than spread his nastiness about the OR. Some of our (civilian contractor) CRNAs, though, love to just call, claim they're feeling a bit under the weather, and cash in a sick day, forcing us to scramble to find someone to take their room at the last minute. For us, its better for your colleagues to send you home after seeing that you aren't well, rather than just make a phone call.

I have yet to call in sick, although I have certainly been so. My predecessor called in such once in 4 years, and he was vomiting uncontrollably and for associated reasons couldn't have made it through an OR day. He was out for one day and back the following day toting a plastic bag in his pocket. Unfortunately sick days are mostly for regular douchebags.

13 years (including residency) and only one "sick" day ( when my wife was actively vomiting and we were getting ready to PCS out of residency with 2 kids under 3 and I said f$&@ it). I did a full day of OR the day after my vasectomy. Calling in is weak unless you truly are unable to work. You s$@@ on your colleagues and patients.

Calling in is weak unless you truly are unable to work. You s$@@ on your colleagues and patients.
I grumble a bit when I read this stuff.

I get irritated when I've had to practically physically escort obviously seriously sick residents off the unit. There are places where we have seriously immunocompromised patients and when you show up sick you're putting their safety at risk for the sake of your ego and/or pride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To an extent I agree with that, especially if you're working around critically ill patients -which most of us will not do in the military, working at small community hospitals. Clearly, the ethical thing to do would be to avoid patient contact at any time when you might potentially be contagious. But you do have to balance that with the 40 patients who will need to be rescheduled from clinic - usually 6-8 weeks later - or the surgical cases that will need to be rescheduled (and the weeks of PTO or vacation time that the patient has arranged around them). Especially when you're in a small or one-doc shop. When I'm not at work, my department ceases to exist.

While I haven't had to cancel surgical cases due to illness, I have had to cancel them due to idiotic military training or meetings, and I ubiquitously get an ICE complaint about how patient so-and-so had her mother flying in with a nonrefundable ticket to help take care of her for two weeks, and she scheduled herself off work and now her boss is going to fire her and nuclear war is going to break out between Pakistan and India.

Clinics are no better. My MSA loves nothing more than calling 40 people and telling them that they're going to have to wait another month for an appointment...no wait, she loves overbooking patients into 5 minute appointment slots even more...

So while I have always found it ridiculous that we as healthcare providers don't take very good care of ourselves, and equally as ridiculous that we would consider exposing patients to random viruses, the reality is that it is a much, much more complicated decision when compared with your average desk jockey.

Reactions: 1 users
I grumble a bit when I read this stuff.

I get irritated when I've had to practically physically escort obviously seriously sick residents off the unit. There are places where we have seriously immunocompromised patients and when you show up sick you're putting their safety at risk for the sake of your ego and/or pride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess it depends what your definition of sick is and what kind of patient population you are working with. I agree with HighPriest that we are not "desk jockeys" and not coming into work because of a head cold, sinusitis, sore throat affects many more people than a MSA calling in.

Physicians that are employed are in a different situation than private practice. Try pulling the sick card multiple times in private practice and you'll be without a patient population. The military has a captive population that has no choice where to seek their care so it doesn't matter. They cannot speak with their feet.

Another question: are fitness tests and weigh in dates the same Navy wide? What about the online stuff: are the standards for NKO training the same everywhere?

Another question: are fitness tests and weigh in dates the same Navy wide? What about the online stuff: are the standards for NKO training the same everywhere?

No, the dates vary by command. I think there's a range of dates, but it's really really broad.

There are some Navy wide NKO trainings and some hospital specific as well. I would guess that ~75% of it is Navy Wide. Have your certificates with you when you check into a new command. It might be a lifesaver.

Another question. 2 skills I always wanted to improve but never had time to rotate in: airway management and sports medicine. Did any of you guys work with another part of the hospital like the SMART clinc of or the anesthesia guys to improve you skills in something? Is the volume of small procedures at a small MTF sufficient to support a learner?

I did not need to work with anesthesia to improved airway skillz. I will say that, at least at my facility, the command very much frowned on providers learning any procedures that they were unlikely to manage as a first line. I tried to get our pediatricians to do frenulectomies, and the DCCS said that was a no-go because it was a surgical procedure and "that's why surgeons do a longer residency..."......for frenulectomies.....apparently. P.S. The DCCS was an OB/GYN, so even curiouser...

Another question. 2 skills I always wanted to improve but never had time to rotate in: airway management and sports medicine. Did any of you guys work with another part of the hospital like the SMART clinc of or the anesthesia guys to improve you skills in something? Is the volume of small procedures at a small MTF sufficient to support a learner?
Every anesthesia dept I've ever worked in has been welcoming to anyone who wanted to come in and get some airway experience. I'm sure they'd be happy to have you if you approach them.

Another question: will I know who is practicing under my license? Will I sign something for all the NPs and PAs who are practicing under my license, or is there some kind of blanket statement I sign for all of them early on?

Another question: will I know who is practicing under my license? Will I sign something for all the NPs and PAs who are practicing under my license, or is there some kind of blanket statement I sign for all of them early on?

In the AF I don't sign for anyone. The PA's practice independently.

Another question: how do I check in? Like what is my firat stop? Do I just make an appointment to see my department head after I get my orders stamped?

In the Army, you typically sign in at the instillation welcome center first, followed by the medical company. I imagine the instillation check in is similar, but can't say for sure.

Another question: how do I check in? Like what is my firat stop? Do I just make an appointment to see my department head after I get my orders stamped?

Ask your sponsor. You'll "check in" at the Q-deck and from there your Dept Head/Sponsor should guide you. Probably a long scavenger hunt check list of places to get signed off.

Step 1: get your orders stamped at the quarterdeck to ensure you won't get charged leave from that point on.

Step 2: find your department and say "hey, I'm the new guy" to the first person you see. Odds are they'll be very interested in getting you checked in and sharing the call schedule ASAP.

Some new attending advice: Try to figure out what your long term goals are. Are you a 20-year career person or a first-tour-and-get-the-hell-out person?

For the 20-year career types, it's helpful to take on the highest level leadership positions available to you. Examples include Committee XYZ Chairperson, Department Head, Head of Medical Staff, Directorate Head, etc. Perhaps enroll in an online MBA course, I think there is a free one available in the Navy. The military higher-ups focus 99% on your leadership potential and seemingly care next to nothing about your clinical abilities. Obviously, pursuing admin/leadership roles will detract from the time you can dedicate to nuturing your clinical skills. But IMHO, the military wants you to be an officer first, and a doctor second. If you try to fight that, and hold on to your identity as a physician first, you will be dealing with constant frustration. Embrace all there is about being an officer and let your clinical abilities take a back seat, and you have a better chance at being happy.

If you know the military isn't in your long-term future, then I would refocus your efforts on maintaining and improving your clinical abilities. Try to set up some moonlighting opportunities to expand your scope of practice and stem skill atrophy. Fight to get some CME. Volunteer to teach a CME course at your hospital. If you're lucky enough to still be at a major med center for your first tour, maybe you can get involved in research. Don't get me wrong, leadership skills are still valuable in civilian practice, but if you're a general surgeon who is awesome at writing up award citations but hasn't taken out a gallbladder in 3 years, you might not be that attractive of a job applicant.

So I applied for my privileges a few days ago, and learned that one of the supplemental privileges I can apply for is 'battlefield acupuncture'. Does anyone know how I get privileged in this? Do I need to do the acupuncture on an actual battlefield for it to count?

I have this mental image of a battalion surgeon jumping out of a trench and dodging shell fire to realign a Marine's chakras. It makes me smile.

'battlefield acupuncture'

What?...Oh that reminded me of this:

The_Men_Who_Stare_at_Goats_poster.jpg

Does anyone know how I get privileged in this?

From a 2010 article

"The service runs the military’s only full-time acupuncture clinic at Malcolm Grow Medical Center at Joint Base Andrews, Md. Last year, it launched a program to train more than 30 military doctors to use acupuncture in the war zone and at their base clinics. The program will be expanded next year with the Air Force, Army and Navy combining funds for two courses to certify 60 active-duty physicians as medical acupuncturists."

http://www.stripes.com/military-tur...ernative-to-prescription-painkillers-1.116167

I got an email a few months ago about acupuncture training at my hospital. I had a scheduling conflict and could not go, but it did pique my interest that the chief medical officer would advertise the training.