Any black male pre-meds?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Black male premed right here! Yes there a so few of us. I went on a trip to California to tour UCLA, UCSD, UCIrvine & USC school of medicines this week and only saw 2 black males in medical school. In fact UCLA did not have any first year black male medical students. The Dean of the Medical School and the Dean of Admissions at UCLA are both black males however. I attend an all male all black college so I am use to being around tons of black male premeds.:laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
^ I thought we knew by now that everything flatearth says is a troll post. :smuggrin:

Black male premed here. Took the post-bacc route, and will be entering med school this summer.
There aren't many of us at all; I went to visit a school here in Texas, and they had no black male students in the class. So, yeah, we must represent.

Greetings! I am a undergraduate student at Florida State University and i too am african amemerican male with aspirations on becoming a doctor in the near future! I see that this thread isnt as live as it use to be but i still wanted to make a post because this thread is something that i identify too.

Last edited:
Black male pre-med here! Applying this cycle....Hopefully I get accepted!

In on black thread. After reading about the experiences of those before us, I'm interested in the number of other black interviewees I come across in this upcoming application cycle.

Whenever someone says black doctor.....

230px-PeterBenton.jpg

or

Omar-Epps-Foreman-House.jpg

Also... for some reason, black people have the gift of looking sharp in any kind of suit they wear

Well, hello future husbands (;

I kid.

Kinda.

I'm glad this thread was revived. You tend to see a lot of negative/ignorant stuff on SDN. I will be entering my junior year next fall.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Where are you all planning on applying too? Any specialties you all have in mind?

Last edited:
lol I didn't know there was a thread for this but its good to see.

Mother got cancer :/ but shes doing better you know. Thanks man good luck in the rat race that is medical school admissions.

I'm not a black male, I'm a black female though!!! Good luck everyone!!!! : )

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

Anyone applying this year? How's your app cycle going?

Got into my top 2 choices, so I'm not complaining. Still trying to decide between the two though.

Whoever made the joke that black males are like endangered species wasn't kidding. I have rarely met any other black guy at my interviews (except for one). Oh well. I am glad to see this post. I had questions that pertained to black males in medicine, but just couldn't find the right venue to ask. As for me,

I applied to 10 schools ( U of chicago, Harvard, UCSF, UCLA, UCirvine, UCdavis, Upenn, Temple, Northwestern, and Yale)

Interviewed at all of them (declined interview at UCirvine, UC davis)

Currently accepted at : UCSF, Northwestern, U of Chicago, and Temple. I should be hearing from UCLA, Yale and Harvard in the nearest future.

Keep up the good work fellas. I hope more black male will start utilizing the vast resource made available by the infamous SDN.

What were your stats?

checking in! :)

Black pre-med here tooo. Good to see some people in this thread. Haven't seen a ton of other AA pre-meds on the interview trail.

Titus Checking in, Good to see the rest of you guys representing for us in different states.

Im the only brother in all of my science classes like most of you all too, I hope we can all be called doctor one day.

Lol yale... didnt they have only 1 black ms1 one year?

I think the rumor was they only had one black person in the span of 2 years. Not sure how true that is though :eek:

Black pre-med here tooo. Good to see some people in this thread. Haven't seen a ton of other AA pre-meds on the interview trail.

We had one day where that is all there was. It was obvious enough to be uncomfortable.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

4 interview invites. 1 attended. Three more to go.

Rejections from Chicago, Penn, Case Western and Pitt.

I didn't know Penn rejected that early (should be next two weeks or so). Anyhow, don't lose hope. Good luck.

Hey! Congratz, may I ask where you got in? I'm applying this summer.

Thanks. I don't want to give the exact names, but one is in Texas and one is in a bordering state (my home state).

I observed the same thing.

Another AA male checking in :D.
7 MD invites, 2 acceptances so far. I have an interview in LA this week and I think this is going to be my last interview as i am broke as a joke and have a grave fear of flying. I am PRAYING that I finally see another black male on one of this interview. So far either no AA peeps at all or all girls (not complaining about this one though :naughty: )

Another AA male checking in :D.
7 MD invites, 2 acceptances so far. I have an interview in LA this week and I think this is going to be my last interview as i am broke as a joke and have a grave fear of flying. I am PRAYING that I finally see another black male on one of this interview. So far either no AA peeps at all or all girls (not complaining about this one though :naughty: )

Congrats on your success man, glad to see you've already been accepted good luck in LA. Do you mind sharing your stats, and you could PM me them if you don't wan to post them.

Congrats on your success man, glad to see you've already been accepted good luck in LA. Do you mind sharing your stats, and you could PM me them if you don't wan to post them.
Why am i just now seeing this lol?

I just joined SDN and thought id make a post....since this is the 1st black premed thread i've seen .
I graduated December 2013 and am looking to apply to med in June.
Currently doing research full time while attempting to study for the MCAT. (made a 27 on practice test 3). I plan to take it at the end of April.
3.91 cgpa Plant Science Major

ohh, and Im a black male and proud Georgia Native

Reactions: 1 user
This thread is so old, that several are now almost done with school, a few are attending's. Good job.

True, but not all. I don't see why trying to keep it going would be a bad idea...but hey, im new to this whole forum thing.

True, but not all. I don't see why trying to keep it going would be a bad idea...but hey, im new to this whole forum thing.

If you come over to the Underrepresented in Healthcare sub-forum we have a few similar threads going :)