Black Friday/Cyber Monday Med School Material Recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

infiniteregress2020

Reaction score
What med school materials do y'all recommend I buy to supply myself for med school next year that typically has Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals? Any products like Sketchy, Boards and Beyond, Osmosis, etc.? Let me know what y'all think!

Members don't see this ad.

Amboss people really loved, a little more challenging questions but if you do well, typically you are over prepared for most exams.

essential medical school materials I found helpful
- USMLE first aid (get from day 1, and annotate as you go through the material)
- UWORLD (a must have)
- an Ipad + Apple Pencil + the app Notability (I found this essential for taking notes in lecture on the actual sides that were provided)
- Some of the USMLE case books were helpful for studying, but just supplemental, didnt think it was a necessity

The only black friday deals I saw were on iPad and Apple Pencil - I check on other books etc and none of them were on sale. :/

iPad (10th generation)
Apple Pencil

not crazy good deals but at least its something. sometimes with a student ID you may get similar prices at best buy (if they still do that, its been a minute)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Amboss people really loved, a little more challenging questions but if you do well, typically you are over prepared for most exams.

essential medical school materials I found helpful
- USMLE first aid (get from day 1, and annotate as you go through the material)
- UWORLD (a must have)
- an Ipad + Apple Pencil + the app Notability (I found this essential for taking notes in lecture on the actual sides that were provided)
- Some of the USMLE case books were helpful for studying, but just supplemental, didnt think it was a necessity

The only black friday deals I saw were on iPad and Apple Pencil - I check on other books etc and none of them were on sale. :/

iPad (10th generation) https://amzn.to/3SYTED1
Apple Pencil: https://amzn.to/3uyLFm8

not crazy good deals but at least its something. sometimes with a student ID you may get similar prices at best buy (if they still do that, its been a minute)
I see Osmosis does Black Friday sales, is it worth getting before medical school?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would hold off on third party resources until you are 100% committed to a school and have established what resources they do or do not provide (talk to a current student about this). My school includes UWorld with tuition, and students have various and sundry ways of accessing some of the other resources you mention without paying ;). We also got a bulk discount on Amboss. I got a free copy of First Aid when I got my AMA membership.

However, a comfy desk chair, nice headphones, instant pot, thermos, nice multi-colored pens, or anything else that will improve the quality of your day-to-day life will be worth it.

Reactions: 1 user
I would hold off on third party resources until you are 100% committed to a school and have established what resources they do or do not provide (talk to a current student about this)
Are there ways to find this information online or do you just have to talk to current students?

Are there ways to find this information online or do you just have to talk to current students?
You can try looking at websites or emailing an admissions contact after you've been accepted to ask about what is included with tuition, but nobody working for the school is going to come out and say "why yes, our students pirate third party materials." Admitted student days are a good opportunity to talk to current students and get the lowdown on what you do or don't need to spend money on.

Reactions: 1 user
Non-negotiable/must buy:

UWorld, Pathoma

Almost non-negotiable:
sketchy pharm+micro (although you might want to wait till you need it because this is expensive)

Nice to have

Amboss