Any Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acdc858

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My undergrad GPA is awful to say the least! cGPA = 3.07 and sGPA = 2.93. MCAT = 38.

So here's the situation; I have a low GPA overall because I was simply oblivious and didn't give it my all when I was in undergrad. I always relied on the fact that I would do well on the MCAT and that would somehow get me into a medical school.I also had a part time job (nearly full time ~30 hours/week) while in school and would tutor students on the side.

Keep in mind that doing well on the MCAT was the only chance I had of even being noticed by schools. I studied for the August test like it was a full time job for about 4 months and did very well (PS:13 BS:13 VR:12) considering my low GPA.

I have some volunteer experience, but I'm planning on applying in June 2014, so I have the time in between to get even more clinical experience. I am also considering singing up for the January MCAT again in hopes of getting a better score.

So my question is, do I have any chances of MD/DO. Mostly interested whether my MCAT score can somewhat offset the low GPA for Med school consideration. Also if taking the MCAT again and trying to raise it to a 40 will make a big difference (I know its not as easy as it sounds but I have no other choice)

Thank you! Appreciate any comments/advice

Members don't see this ad.

Wow! That's an amazing MCAT score, congrats. :)

I'm a premed like you so I can't offer all that much good advice, being as inexperienced as I am, but would it be possible for you to retake some classes that you might not have done well in? I believe for the DO applications, they allow you to replace some of your grades with retaken ones, and that would boost up your GPA. Would it be possible for you to do a post baccalaureate to help your GPA?

From my limited experience and research, I think you have a shot at the DO schools with your combination of GPA and MCAT. However, schools that prescreen secondaries probably will not give you a chance because you don't meet the minimum GPA. If you're from a state that has instate preference to their residents, you could see if you fit their averages too. However, anyone else who weighs in will probably know more about your chances than I will. Good luck though!

Omg dude don't retake a 38.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you're an ideal candidate for an SMP as a route to med school, if you want to go to allopathic schools. Otherwise, you should be somewhat okay for lower tier DOs... that sGPA is definitely below cutoff for all programs I've heard of.

Do not retake. If you want DO, the best thing to do is retake a couple of courses to get over the 3.0 automatic rejection screen. Alternatively, programs that have a minimum GPA of <3.0 may be interested in you. If MD is your goal, I think you'll find a hard time unless you do an SMP, except in the event you live in a state that takes nearly exclusively its residents and their average GPA/MCAT is in the lower end of MD.

I think you're an ideal candidate for an SMP as a route to med school, if you want to go to allopathic schools. Otherwise, you should be somewhat okay for lower tier DOs... that sGPA is definitely below cutoff for all programs I've heard of.

i totally agree with the advice about doing an SMP.... it's so obvious you're trying to avoid the actual problem. Going from a 38 to a 40 on the MCAT is going to get you nowhere and more "clinical experience" is worthless if you don't have the stats. If you do well in an SMP you'll easily be able to get into multiple US MD schools.

the second part of the above advice is baffling though. not sure what this person thinks the admission standards at DO schools is like but i guarantee you that with a 38 MCAT you'd get into most if not all DO schools you apply to despite the fact that you have a 3.0 GPA.

I am also considering singing up for the January MCAT again in hopes of getting a better score.

Retaking a 38 makes you look foolish (even narcissistic). Improve your weaknesses not your strengths.

Last edited by a moderator:
It boggles the mind that there are people out there who would retake a 38.

MD, no. DO, possibly, at a few schools. Mine won't be one of them, no matter how much my Dean likes high MCAT scores.

Suggest re-taking all F/D/C science coursework.

Major discrepancies between MCAT performance and GPA tend to be big red flags.

My undergrad GPA is awful to say the least! cGPA = 3.07 and sGPA = 2.93. MCAT = 38.

So here's the situation; I have a low GPA overall because I was simply oblivious and didn't give it my all when I was in undergrad. I always relied on the fact that I would do well on the MCAT and that would somehow get me into a medical school.I also had a part time job (nearly full time ~30 hours/week) while in school and would tutor students on the side.

Keep in mind that doing well on the MCAT was the only chance I had of even being noticed by schools. I studied for the August test like it was a full time job for about 4 months and did very well (PS:13 BS:13 VR:12) considering my low GPA.

I have some volunteer experience, but I'm planning on applying in June 2014, so I have the time in between to get even more clinical experience. I am also considering singing up for the January MCAT again in hopes of getting a better score.

So my question is, do I have any chances of MD/DO. Mostly interested whether my MCAT score can somewhat offset the low GPA for Med school consideration. Also if taking the MCAT again and trying to raise it to a 40 will make a big difference (I know its not as easy as it sounds but I have no other choice)

Thank you! Appreciate any comments/advice