What are my chances to get into Oklahoma State University or any medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Midnight786

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good evening,

I am approaching my graduation in spring 2022, I am a nontraditional first generation college student trying to approach medical school here in Oklahoma. I am going to be direct and give as much detail as possible for anyone who would like to advise me on where to invest my time to be a better medical student candidate. I am trying to get into the DO school in Oklahoma (Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences). GPA- I have a cGPA of 2.83 and sGPA of 3.2 with a strong upward trend with the last 60 credit hours of being at a 3.8 GPA. The last 60 credit hours have been upper division 3000-4000 level sciences such as microbiology, physiology, Molecular biology etc. I was able to bring my GPA from a 1.6 to a 2.83 so far and am making sure I dont make any additional mistakes. MCAT- I have not taken the MCAT yet but plan to take the MCAT at the end of this semester, for a rough depiction of my result I have been scoring near 500-504 with the practice test. The intention is to score around 510+ on the MCAT when the time comes. Clinical experience + extracurriculars- I have a paramedicine background working in the ambulance for 1.5 years, ER tech for 1 year, EKG tech for 1 year, Neuro Tech for 1.5 year. I have 140 hours of shadowing different doctors. I am engaged with my local community at the mosque and volunteer at my local boxing gym training the youth. My first year in my previous University i was the vice president of the Pakistani student association.

I understand how difficult the situation is but I needed a bit of guidance in my approach to correct what is holding me back from medical school. Some options on the table is doing a post bacc program for a year for the low GPA. Some have advised I go to medical school in the Caribbean if there is no acceptance here. I want to know what path should I take. This is not a question about doubt upon myself to preform well in medical school. The reason to my poor GPA is due to the fact I was extremely immature in the first 2 years of college and preformed extremely bad in school because I lacked the discipline. After being suspended due to poor academic standing I got my act together and moved to the University of Oklahoma where I made a drastic changes to my lifestyle and began to move up. What can I do to help my situation? What are my chances in my desired school? Are there any medical schools that can look past a bad GPA with a strong upward trend? Any advise is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

You need to take enough additional undergraduate level courses to increase your cGPA to 3.0 . Otherwise you could be screened out at many schools. As long as your MCAT is at least 500 you could receive DO interviews including at OSU-COM. Post your actual score here in the future.