Any Dental Hygienists applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RDH2DDS

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
!

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated in 2004 with a BS in Dental Hygiene and am applying for the 2007 cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a hygienist, but I'm not applying...my husband is. I'm just a wierdo who likes to be on this site. Wierd, I know. I thought about going into dentistry, but I've decided hygiene is best for now.

I'm not a hygienist but I have a friend that is one and is now a D2 at OHSU - congratulations on your decision and best of luck!

I have been a dental hygienist for eight years. It has been flexible and very rewarding, but I am ready for a change. I have worked for six different dentists in 5 different states and a different country. I have learned a lot about what does and does not work in private practice. I am tired of playing by someone elses rules and am ready to put my own ideas into play. It's like I have been renting, and now I am ready to buy. Hopefully this works out.

SO which schools are you applying to? I eventually may get to that point, but it is way too stressful putting my husband through right now. Somebody's got to work to pay for all of these application fees and interviews!!!

I worked as a Dental Assistant/Receptionist for 3.5yrs when I did my undergrad. Plan on applying May 2007 for D-School. Good luck to all of us! :)

No kidding...what hygienist wouldn't love to work for a doctor who actually understands the hygiene side of things and understands completely where they are coming from.

Have any schools given you a break on your prereqs since you have a hygiene degree?

DO you plan to temp during school?

Anyone who has an idea can answer my questions. So here we go, if I finish Associate then BS Dental Hygienist, which should be about 3 years, well 3 years here in Boston, MA. which means Ill be done by 2010, and I will be applying to dental school in 2009 and most of my Dental school prereqs were done in 2002-2004. I did physics 1 & 2 with labs, Chemistry 1 & 2 with labs, biology 1 &2 with labs, Organic Chem 1 & 2 in 2002-2003, do I have to take them again considering that by 2009 it will be over 5 years old? I know some Dental Schools like to see that the prereqs be done within 5 years. I have a degree in BS Pharmacy by the way from the Philippines in 1991, long time ago, but my passion is in Dentistry. Please I need your advice, thanks in advance.:)

Anyone who has an idea can answer my questions. So here we go, if I finish Associate then BS Dental Hygienist, which should be about 3 years, well 3 years here in Boston, MA. which means Ill be done by 2010, and I will be applying to dental school in 2009 and most of my Dental school prereqs were done in 2002-2004. I did physics 1 & 2 with labs, Chemistry 1 & 2 with labs, biology 1 &2 with labs, Organic Chem 1 & 2 in 2002-2003, do I have to take them again considering that by 2009 it will be over 5 years old? I know some Dental Schools like to see that the prereqs be done within 5 years. I have a degree in BS Pharmacy by the way from the Philippines in 1991, long time ago, but my passion is in Dentistry. Please I need your advice, thanks in advance.:)

If you've done all your prereqs, why not just try taking the DAT and applying to d-school next year? That way you can get going right away with your goal and graduate sooner. Even if you're not too comfortable doing it yet and you have to reapply, you never know! What if you do, and you save yourself all that time?

If you've done all your prereqs, why not just try taking the DAT and applying to d-school next year? That way you can get going right away with your goal and graduate sooner. Even if you're not too comfortable doing it yet and you have to reapply, you never know! What if you do, and you save yourself all that time?

I did apply this year though, in August, and this is my third time applying in three consecutive years. The first and second applications were lacking my DAT, thats why did not get acceptance. Finally, I will be taking the DAT in January 19, 2007. So, I have a feeling that I will not get acceptance again this year. Besides, I don't have any experience in dental field except shadowing for more than 40 hours which I really don't do anything just stand there and observe. Im thinking, going to dental hygiene school will make a difference,and it would be helpful once I'll get accepted in dental school to pay for tuitions and others.

I know you will be asking me why I schedule my DAT that late, actually it was scheduled in September, then November then in January, the reasons I was not ready to take it, and I want to make sure I'll get to the scores that would satisfy the dental school's admission. I applied to 5 schools and BU and Tufts were the only schools that the deadline is not over yet. It will be a miracle if I'll get into one of these schools this year. So for the meantime I want to do dental hygienist and will re-apply again in 2008, because if I re-apply next year then I will not be done with the program yet, but then again by 2008 my pre-reqs are over 5 years old, Im really confuse what to do, I can't make up my mind, I keep thinking that I really want to be a dentist. My wanting to do dental hygienist is for me to be in a dental field so quickly, for me to get away from pharmacy field so quickly. I've been working as a pharmacy technician since I came from the Philippines in 2001 and lately as foreign pharmacy graduate intern, but I quit because I don't like to be in a pharmacy anymore. So now I don't do anything, Im not earning any money, my husband will pay for my dental hygiene education but he told me he doesn't want to pay for my dental school education, he said its just too expensive. He wants me to become a pharmacist instead because I would be earning a lot of money. But I don't like pharmacy.

Im really sorry for my rant, its just that Im desperate to be in a dental field. I wanted so badly to become a dentist, and can't get over it.

Thanks for reading,am looking forward to hear from anyone who has the same situation as me.

Coming from a hygienist, just apply to dental school next year and skip hygiene. In the long run, you will spend so much more money on hygiene school than will be worth your time. If you hate being a Pharmacy tech (or whatever you called it) than just do something else on the side until you can get into dental school. Hygiene school will cost you $30,000 or more and you will not be able to work for 3 years while you are in school. Then when you're in dental school, you'll be lucky to work 1 day a week...and even that will make you crazy with how much studying dental school requires.

Just work on getting your dat done now and apply early to dental school next year.

Coming from a hygienist, just apply to dental school next year and skip hygiene. In the long run, you will spend so much more money on hygiene school than will be worth your time. If you hate being a Pharmacy tech (or whatever you called it) than just do something else on the side until you can get into dental school. Hygiene school will cost you $30,000 or more and you will not be able to work for 3 years while you are in school. Then when you're in dental school, you'll be lucky to work 1 day a week...and even that will make you crazy with how much studying dental school requires.

Just work on getting your dat done now and apply early to dental school next year.

Thank you very much! I inquired at the community college the other day, I was told that its roughly $1800 per semester for an associate degree in dental hygienist. So, I am thinking its not that bad and I am not doing anything right now, and I want to get started in dental field,:D while keep on applying to dental school until I'll get accepted.

I thought you are not allowed to skip completing the program? Would dental school see that as some negative?

Someone told me that the program itself is impacted and requires interview...is yours like that too?