Any dental schools that DO NOT require Ochem II??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2BeDentist

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering... any dental schools that don't ask that Ochem II be completed before applying?? I have all my pre-reqs completed, and am takingt the DATs by December w/o having completed Ochem II. Planning to submit the application in early 2007... ONLY IF... there are schools that dont require second semester of Ochem II...

Please advise. Thanks y'all...

Btw.. hi.. I'm new. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Upenn, Pacific, North Carolina, UW... those are the only that come to mind right off the bat. Check Kaplans website, they have some pretty good resources on that kind of thing.

Just wondering... any dental schools that don't ask that Ochem II be completed before applying?? I have all my pre-reqs completed, and am takingt the DATs by December w/o having completed Ochem II. Planning to submit the application in early 2007... ONLY IF... there are schools that dont require second semester of Ochem II...

Please advise. Thanks y'all...

Btw.. hi.. I'm new. :D

I would think you are wasting your time if you are applying in early 2007. You would have missed about 95+% of the dental schools application deadline for 2007, and they wouldnt even consider anything for the 2008 application So you will have to wait until mid May before submitting your 2008 application, and by then you would have the chance of completing Ochem II. You would really stand out if you dont take OChem II. As far as I know most schools require a full year of OChem, so not doign the second semester would really hurt your chances.

Members don't see this ad :)
Upenn, Pacific, North Carolina, UW... those are the only that come to mind right off the bat. Check Kaplans website, they have some pretty good resources on that kind of thing.

Pacific states that 2 semesters/3 quarters of o-chem are required (unless one takes 1 semester o-chem + 1 semester biochem) (http://dental.pacific.edu/admissions1/DDS/requirements.htm). UNC requires "two lecture courses" (http://www.dent.unc.edu/academic/programs/dds/requirements.cfm). Not sure about any others :)

I agree that applying in early 2007 is likely to be too late for a good chance of admissions for Fall 2007. Most schools have application deadlines before then.

Oh, no... I forgot to say that I'm not even shooting to apply for Fall '07! See, I am taking Ochem I right now... will be done by December... and I think by the end of the year, don't the schools announce their decisions for Fall 2007 admissions?

So yeah - when I said turn in my application by early 2007... I meant, that I'd be applying for Fall 2008. hah, sorry for the confusion friends...

Anyway I guess you guys are right, it'd probably be worth it to take both semesters of Ochem. I'll take Ochem II in the Spring semester. But see, the only reason I'm hesitating is the Spring semester does not begin until late January/early February... meaning it'd finish in about mid-June. And as you guys know, I'm sure, the AADSAS takes 7-8 weeks to send out your final transcripts.... I'm just afraid my application won't get processed until August '07.

And dental schools announce their decisions by December 1st.

Any advise would be appreciated.

You can't apply for Fall 2008 admission until May 2007. Dec 1 is only when schools are first allowed to accept applicants, but it is not the end of the admissions process. Some schools will accept students up until matrculation day.

As for the second semester of ochem, i don't believe there is any school that will accept you if you don't complete it by matriculation. They might accept you under the provision that you will complete all requirements before school starts.

Oh, no... I forgot to say that I'm not even shooting to apply for Fall '07! See, I am taking Ochem I right now... will be done by December... and I think by the end of the year, don't the schools announce their decisions for Fall 2007 admissions?

So yeah - when I said turn in my application by early 2007... I meant, that I'd be applying for Fall 2008. hah, sorry for the confusion friends...

Anyway I guess you guys are right, it'd probably be worth it to take both semesters of Ochem. I'll take Ochem II in the Spring semester. But see, the only reason I'm hesitating is the Spring semester does not begin until late January/early February... meaning it'd finish in about mid-June. And as you guys know, I'm sure, the AADSAS takes 7-8 weeks to send out your final transcripts.... I'm just afraid my application won't get processed until August '07.

And dental schools announce their decisions by December 1st.

Any advise would be appreciated.

You know, I was thinking along the same lines as you on this one. I took OChem II anyways and was very happy that I did, it helped out a lot on the DAT.

What about Biochem? It seems like most schools require a semester's worth of it, but do you think it would be 'discouraged' to stop after Biochem I?

you dont have to have ochem 2 done when you submit your app, but you will have to say that you are in the process of taking it. after your app is submitted, itll take 6 wks to get sent out, in which time you will have completed the course. you can update your app in june and still be in great shape, so dont worry about it!

You know, I was thinking along the same lines as you on this one. I took OChem II anyways and was very happy that I did, it helped out a lot on the DAT.

There was definitely stuff on the DAT covered in Orgo II and not Orgo I. If you study on your own, you'll be fine, but why not cover it in class!!

What about Biochem? It seems like most schools require a semester's worth of it, but do you think it would be 'discouraged' to stop after Biochem I?

Biochem is encouraged because it is part of the first year curriculum at a lot of schools. A friend told me that Biochem was THE butt kicker class. I am taking 400 level Biochem this year just to get ready for it, and I think it is a pretty good idea.

Yeah, I'm planning on taking O-Chem II & Biochem II... I just don't want to do it... :p