Any EMT's Starting Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMT2DO

EMT2DO
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've had my EMT for several years and worked for private, and third service county ambulances and in the ER. I was wondering if anyone else is starting school and whether or not you are going to maintain your certification through school. I can't see how it could be usefull, except that it might be neat to test out and get my medic once I finish just because I was unable to finish paramedic school and It's an itch I need to scratch.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a paramedic starting med school in a month. I'm going to try to keep my certification up because...well...it cost so damn much to get in the first place. I haven't talked to the state yet, but I've heard that something like medical school can count for all of your continuing education hours. I'm not certain about that though. I'd feel like I'd given up part of my identity if I let it lapse.

Depends on the state, but med school can count as CE (and loads of it). Also depending on state, you may be able to challenge for your paramedic (Virginia allows this for Cardiacs/Intermediates who have completed 2 years of medical school). I've kept my cert up because I still run with a crew here, and I like to keep up my skills (and gives me a well-needed break from studying).

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I just called my state office. They said that with an unofficial transcript and brief description of the courses, medical school will count as ALL of my continuing education. The only thing it would not count for is the paramedic refresher course.

Lucky.....I'm in my 3rd year of med school and have tried twice. NJ still won't accept my med school even for EMT-B credits, even for electives(in nj you have to take 24 hours of a refresher and 24 electives)........

In the past, I know that it was possible to challenge the EMT-P exam as a med student... is this still available?
I heard that nurses can challenge the exam, and someone said that physicians might be able to. Does anyone know?

Lucky.....I'm in my 3rd year of med school and have tried twice. NJ still won't accept my med school even for EMT-B credits, even for electives(in nj you have to take 24 hours of a refresher and 24 electives)........

wow, thats pretty harsh of them.

In terms of challenging the paramedic exam, I've never heard of this. Its probably state dependent - I'd just call up the office and ask. They were pretty helpful to me when I called.

I talked to the medical director here who does EMS and is an EM doc. He made the good point of what having your EMT gets you as a doc. It might get you some street cred if you want to go into medical directing, or apply to EM residency. But having on your apps that you worked EMS for X years prob does the same. He also made the point that it is a really grey area legally working as an EMT if you are a MD. What do you do if you are the first one at a arrest and you carry ALS gear? Can you be sued becuase you didn't perform to your level of training as a doc? These issues are very much up in the air and as such many different states and services have different takes on their poilicies of docs being able to ride.
All of the above being said, if you are going to work as an EMT during school, sure, keep it up, just not sure how useful it is to have after graduating. (and this is geared towards EMT, medic takes much longer to get and you may be more likely as a doc to run as a medic)
I still have my EMT, but unless a refresher drops into my lap I'm letting it go. It's just not worth three days of my free time to sit in a refresher just to hold the cert. that's my take.

another thought to buy some time:
I did a refresher and got all my CE signed off and documented before starting med school, and held the paperwork until the middle of my first year. So my cert is good till third year. Good strategy if you have time to do a refresher before school starts.

There are also some online EMT refreshers out there. Then you just have to go in one day for the practical part. Unfortunately, my state doesn't have an online paramedic refresher yet....six full days is gonna be tough - I'll probably do it in the summer between first and second year (in the first year before I recert). That would take me through med school pretty much because I just finished a refresher and will be recerted through the end of second year.

What do you do if you are the first one at a arrest and you carry ALS gear?
Then you should be riding on a BLS rig, carrying BLS equipment.

some rigs carry ALS gear for paramedic intercept. Or perhapse the better question was the one the medical director posed, what happens if the medic on scene can't get the tube, do you as a doc offer to take a look? If a medic is there running a code can you push durgs? etc. If the answer is that you are doing all that under your MD liscense, then what does having the EMT cert give you?

I think I would personally be very frustrated working calls at a BLS level with an ALS knowledge. It would suck treating fractures thinking, man, I should be able to give this guy some morphine.

I guess it would get you street credit between the medics that service your hospital. If your a medical director you may want to go out into the field if you enjoy that, but then again you can do a one year fellowship after residency in EMS. I am not going into medicine by any means, but honestly, if you are a doc and still have your EMT-P and you are looking to work an extra shift... would you rather get $130/hr as a doc or $15 as a medic. Working as a medic would you then be under the medical direction of another physician and not under your own license? I'm not sure there are hard fast answers to all of these questions. Some metro areas have a rapid response vehicle staffed by a doc if necessary for them to come into the field(someone trapped needing an amputation to get free, mass casualties, etc......). That would allow you to work in the capacity of a physician, not worry about the gray areas, and allow you to still get off by flying through traffic to help someone :D

Members don't see this ad :)
i haven't really heard of any docs coming out in the field in my area but I suppose it happens once in a while. I'm keeping my cert through med school because I'm studying in the same city that I already work in...aka I can just keep my job per diem. I'm not sure what I will do once I finish school. Probably just let it go at that point. There was a guy who used to work for us who went to med school and then said he would work during his ED residency. I don't think he took a single shift - no time.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I haven't heard back from Florida or Texas (the 2 states where I'm certified) about whether med school counts as CE. Florida does allow other licensed practitioners ie RN, MD, DO, DDS(?!), to test out for medic if you are currently certified as an EMT. As far as working as a medic, I don't think I would have the time, but since I got 2/3 of the way through medic and had to drop out because I couldn't finish before I had to leave for school, I still want that freakin patch! It would be cool to do some field work though, I know that some larger depts. have docs that work with them, Houston Fire dept in fact has 3-4 MDs that work as medical supervisors and respond to certain calls. In fact, Dr. Bradley who was an EM doc from one of the trauma centers here was featured on Trauma:Life in the ER running calls in the field with HFD. I assume he was working under his own license, but I'm not sure.

Fl should give you credit for your medical school they let me count some of my BS degree you can also do the online for your medic in FL.. I will mail you a Patch if you want it. Get you MD and don't look back. ER DR.>Paramedic any day... You don't need a medic patch to be a medial director or ride a bus as an MD...

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I haven't heard back from Florida or Texas (the 2 states where I'm certified) about whether med school counts as CE. Florida does allow other licensed practitioners ie RN, MD, DO, DDS(?!), to test out for medic if you are currently certified as an EMT. As far as working as a medic, I don't think I would have the time, but since I got 2/3 of the way through medic and had to drop out because I couldn't finish before I had to leave for school, I still want that freakin patch! It would be cool to do some field work though, I know that some larger depts. have docs that work with them, Houston Fire dept in fact has 3-4 MDs that work as medical supervisors and respond to certain calls. In fact, Dr. Bradley who was an EM doc from one of the trauma centers here was featured on Trauma:Life in the ER running calls in the field with HFD. I assume he was working under his own license, but I'm not sure.

I am actually watching that show at this exact moment. He is running around in his own little medical director car jumping in on calls and running things. Dr. Bradley said that his hospital name tag says, "Dr. Bradley, MD, EMT-P"

As for keeping an EMT-B license, I don't think it's worth it for med school. If I saw some doctor running around with a nametag that days, "Dr. SoandSo, MD, EMT-B" I would most likely just look at them funny and not give them much "street cred." Now, If I saw "MD, EMT-P" I would give them more "street cred." But the point is if the doctor is a MD or DO I would respect them as a doctor and realize that the person knows a sh*tload more than I do as an EMT-P and respect them as such. The bottom line is being a doctor is being a doctor, no matter what other little initials follow the MD or DO.

As for just wanting the patch, all I have to say to that is a patch does not make you a paramedic.

Dr. Bradley said that his hospital name tag says, "Dr. Bradley, MD, EMT-P"

It doesn't really say "Dr." and "MD," I hope...that's a big goof, if it does. :rolleyes:

Keeping "EMT-whatever" on your ID after you're an MD is also pretty silly. I'm sure he's doing it to let people know that he used to be "in the trenches," but it's still odd. An ID badge isn't supposed to be a mini-CV.

As for keeping an EMT-B license, I don't think it's worth it for med school.

I stayed active as a volunteer EMT all the way through medical school, on a somewhat reduced schedule. I resigned after I graduated, though, mainly due to time constraints. Furthermore, it's difficult for a practicing physician to volunteer as a pre-hospital provider in most states, due to malpractice issues.

It doesn't really say "Dr." and "MD," I hope...that's a big goof, if it does. :rolleyes:

No, in the show he said his ID showed his first name, last name, MD, EMT-P. I just couldn't remember what his first name was so I just defaulted to having DR. as his first name.

If a person is going to keep their EMT-B or P license active in med school just to say they have the license I don't think it is really worth it. It is kind of like getting the EMT license for med school application and then never actually using it. If a person is actually going to continue working or volunteering during med school, yeah it is worth it just to make some extra cash or do something they enjoy. I am keeping my license just because I am going to keep working prn just to make some gas money, but not just so I can tell people I have my license.

Keeping "EMT-whatever" on your ID after you're an MD is also pretty silly. I'm sure he's doing it to let people know that he used to be "in the trenches," but it's still odd. An ID badge isn't supposed to be a mini-CV.

I stayed active as a volunteer EMT all the way through medical school, on a somewhat reduced schedule. I resigned after I graduated, though, mainly due to time constraints. Furthermore, it's difficult for a practicing physician to volunteer as a pre-hospital provider in most states, due to malpractice issues.

I agree - that's pretty weird. I think I would feel kinda dumb putting that on my nametag after MD. Keeping the medic cert up to work occasionally through med school is worth it to me for the extra cash, hanging out with my friends from work, and the extra clinical exposure. Once I become an EM resident/attending...I don't really see the point in keeping it. It almost seems ridiculous.

I'm interested to hear more about these malpractice issues though for a doctor working in the street. Anyone care to elaborate on this?

I e-mailed Dr. Bradley a few days after I saw that show. We talked about prehospital providers transitioning into medicine and whatnot. He's a very nice and approachable guy. I'm planning to maintain my EMT-P through medical school -- not so sure about my CCEMT-P, but we'll see. Depending on where I wind up, it'll be a nice way to continue applying some of what I learn in school and make a bit of bar money at the same time.

The doc I talked to about this is the head of the whatever is the national association of medical directors, and he said the malpractice issue of docs working on the street as EMS is really up in the air. Not a settled legal question. he said it also really varies from state to state, and agency to agency. So there is no one good answer for everyone.

it's one thing to work EMS cuz you like it, but truth is as far as money goes, once you are a doc if you want to make some bar money you get way more Budwiser for an extra hour working as a doc than as a medic.

it's one thing to work EMS cuz you like it, but truth is as far as money goes, once you are a doc if you want to make some bar money you get way more Budwiser for an extra hour working as a doc than as a medic.

I think people meant bar money during medical school

ah right, makes more sense then.

I didn't get much beer money working as a volunteer EMT, although one of the local oyster bar/restaurants did give me a "VIP discount." ;)

The doc I talked to about this is the head of the whatever is the national association of medical directors, and he said the malpractice issue of docs working on the street as EMS is really up in the air. Not a settled legal question. he said it also really varies from state to state, and agency to agency. So there is no one good answer for everyone.

Exactly. You'd really have to check with your own malpractice carrier to know for sure.

I was talking to a doc today at the hospital who gave me his card, after his MD, FACEP, FAAEM it says HP-MD. I asked him and he said it stands for(his words) "Prehospital Physician, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania (HP-MD)". Next time I see him I'll have to try to get him to expand on that....

Hi guys. I'm also a medic who is starting med school in the fall. I realize I'm getting way ahead of myself here, but when the day comes, my name tag will read "MD, MICP." Being a medic has been too big a part of my life to just let it go (and it's exceedingly easy to get CEs in my state if you're going to school).

Rock on, brother. You and me both. ...if I get into school. Otherwise it might just be CCEMT-P. Come on interviews!

I am a medic and I will going to school next month. I am Nationally Registered (as if you didn't guess by my handle) and Colorado certified and I think I am just going to let them go. I haven't done a refresher course yet and I don't see that happening between now and 31 Mar 08. I would like to keep it up just because but no other reason. I won't work while I am in school so there is no reason other than sentimental reasons :oops: Good luck to everyone and stay safe.

B

Rock on, brother. You and me both. ...if I get into school. Otherwise it might just be CCEMT-P. Come on interviews!

You'll get there. Trust me, your field experience will really pay off at your interviews.

You'll get there. Trust me, your field experience will really pay off at your interviews.

I appreciate that, thanks. It's been a long road; will feel really good to get into that first (and possibly only) school!

I let my EMT-B Cert expire, I figured that I did enough work with EMS it is just going to go on my list of "experience" and when it comes time to apply to residency then I will see where it takes me.

I talked to the medical director here who does EMS and is an EM doc. He made the good point of what having your EMT gets you as a doc. It might get you some street cred if you want to go into medical directing, or apply to EM residency. But having on your apps that you worked EMS for X years prob does the same. He also made the point that it is a really grey area legally working as an EMT if you are a MD. What do you do if you are the first one at a arrest and you carry ALS gear? Can you be sued becuase you didn't perform to your level of training as a doc? These issues are very much up in the air and as such many different states and services have different takes on their poilicies of docs being able to ride.
All of the above being said, if you are going to work as an EMT during school, sure, keep it up, just not sure how useful it is to have after graduating. (and this is geared towards EMT, medic takes much longer to get and you may be more likely as a doc to run as a medic)
I still have my EMT, but unless a refresher drops into my lap I'm letting it go. It's just not worth three days of my free time to sit in a refresher just to hold the cert. that's my take.

there is a company called eeii.org they have a 48 hour refresher that is a fill in packet - really easy. and counts for your NR requirements. only about 100$

i'm keeping my ticket and also staying employed by the same company. they have a student leave program, so i can take off the whole semester and work over breaks (if i want to). they also pay for the refresher and all con ed, so that is also part of my motivation for staying certified.