Any Ghanaian, Nigerian or West African Here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey just wandering if there are any Ghanaian, Nigerian or African Pre-Med, Med Student or Resident on SDN?

glad you guys are doing your thing out there. redirect me to the right forum if need be. i have a bachelor's in zoology here in Ghana but i want to switch to medicine and that is not possible here in Ghana. i dont have MCAT or GRE grades. what do i do?

Members don't see this ad.

glad you guys are doing your thing out there. redirect me to the right forum if need be. i have a bachelor's in zoology here in Ghana but i want to switch to medicine and that is not possible here in Ghana. i dont have MCAT or GRE grades. what do i do?

Hey, you sound a little desperate there. I have been there before, Medico or suicide. I did biochem though. First thing is its not gonna be easy, but it is possible. I am not there yet, i am not less than 4yrs from med school but i will get there and when i get there, i will have a PhD already. My advise is that, u write GREs and if your GPA is good (which i am sure is not since you did zoo), apply for a masters program here. When u get in, then u can work on getting good grades, then go back into a premed program, do really well and then apply to med school. However, you must be thinking of how you are gonna pay for med school and you will need to keep thinking about ways of getting a green card, that way, when you get admission, you can easily fund your education. But the key is to get in, use what u have, to get what you want, first step, write the GRE.

hey yo...another ghanaian in the da house ! glad to see so many ghanaians in the forum. I am currently in the application process though. got in one med school and waiting for the decision in another soon. It is really not easy over here especially when u dont have the green card (it sucks a lot especially in trying to finance medical education). u got to know people. but anyway i will say to u all it can be done. where did some of u ghanaians go to secondary school. i went to MFANTSIPIM.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Rosky!
i'll be applying to med skool this summer with no green card too! i was wondering if u dont mind sharing which skools u applied to?! u can send me a personal message if u dont wanna go public:)! thanks

hey yo...another ghanaian in the da house ! glad to see so many ghanaians in the forum. I am currently in the application process though. got in one med school and waiting for the decision in another soon. It is really not easy over here especially when u dont have the green card (it sucks a lot especially in trying to finance medical education). u got to know people. but anyway i will say to u all it can be done. where did some of u ghanaians go to secondary school. i went to MFANTSIPIM.

GHANATA SECONDARY SCHOOL........ Dodowa

Wo ho te sen? I'm an American and will be starting Med School next month already. I'm not African, but I spent last summer working in Emmanuel Eye Clinic in Accra, Ghana. I was also supposed to work at the hospital in Kasei, but it didn't work out. I just am hearing all of you talk about life in Ghana and it makes me miss my friends and family there so much. Being in Ghana actually prompted me to seek international medicine, so I can come back and visit more often.

What I want to know is, where can I get fufu in Israel, where my program is? Anybody know if it is possible? Oh I miss the fufu:)

Hello guys,i am chuks doin optometry here in naija,anyone in d forum doin opt overthere nd is naija?

Hey redheadedpoet how was ur experience at emmanuel eye clinic-chuks

Last edited:
Hey i went to schl in Lome when i was like 12 for a yr:D
loads of memories of places like hotel de la paix, du fevrier, beaches and all
Stayed in Residence du Benin, BSL :p

LEMMMMAA!!!! OFON NA MAH !!! JE SUIS TOGOLAIS...J'AI VAICU AU GABON/PORT-GENTIL..ET ENSUITE A LOME I AM A DZIDJOLE BOY..I ALSO WENT TO HIGH SCHOOL IN TEMA/datus and KETASCO/DZOLALI....FEEL FREE AND HOLLAAA !!!! I GO TO USF...APPLYING TO D.O SCHOOL..

WOW..... 6yrs and this thread is still going strong.

Naija in the house o!!
I just got accepted to a couple med schools n tryin to make the right choice o..but its good to know that i'm not alone!!

Dr. MAXY...how far na? You story na real inspiration o!! Any more updated tips/advice for us youngins?? You can PM plsssss

Cheers

Can you write the USMLE step 1 in Nigeria or other parts of Africa.

What is the best study materials for USMLE

Thanks

Can you write the USMLE step 1 in Nigeria or other parts of Africa.

What is the best study materials for USMLE

Thanks

Yes u can...well maybe not in Nigeria but I know u can in Ghana.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi... I just came across this forum... are there any Gh. either doing their housemanship or in med. school that might be able to help me. I'm in my fourth yr. here in the US going for residency this july. I'm planning on coming to Gh. this May and network with some MD's in Gh so that I can do 2 of my residency electives in Gh.

I'm originally from Gh. and an elective will be a great way to come visit and help out.

Hello everyone
I am from Cameroon. Y'all are from Ghana and Nigeria. I guest I will be the token here. I am starting med school this fall. any of you know about the best way to finance our education besides loan.

Hi guys, i'll be completing my basic sciences in June and i'm planning on spending the Summer in NY. I've been trying hard to find some research to do without any success. I'm ok with anything that will give me an experience, maybe just being around some doctors and assisting them with some stuff. Any opportunity to get someone to learn from and talk medicine with. Can anyone link me up with anything?:confused:

hi, i am new to this.can anybody tell me about the scope of dentistry in south africa

Lived in Benin Republic all my life but my parents are originally from Chad republic. I'm new on the website. Add me to your friends list.

PS: Anyone know where to get attieke in Houston? I woke up with a craving this morning.

is it easy for us to get loans? I mean as internationals.

Also what were you guy's GPAs and MCAT scores when you were accepted to MED school

Hey people,wow! This thread has been running for years,must be the longest on SDN.
Anyways I am from nigeria about graduate from med schl, I am looking for residency opportunities within africa especially GHANA or SOUTH AFRICA.
R there any ghanaians or south africans in the house to give me details.
I will be most gratefull.

Nigerian here too oh. trying to cross over

Hello, I'm a Moroccan doctor and I'm in my second year of residency in pulmonary medecine.
I will move to the US (New york) with my husband for at least two years, and I would like to know what kind of paid medical activities I can practice before passing the required steps (1, 2 and 3).
Can I apply for paid medical researches before passing the steps, and how please.
Thank you for your help.

WOW...I can't believe it's been years since I initially posted this thread. Good to see folks doing well. This medical education stuff never ends. Now I'm back on the application trail agian. Now applying for a Spine surgery fellowship. Lord please help me.

Welcome back Dr. Maxy. Your thread will never end, believe me. All the best with your fellowship app.

Another Nigerian in here!! hello everyone!!!!!!:)

Im currently in the USA, living in New York. Im currently doing PA.

class of 2008 kath/sms, knust. currently doing housemanship in Ghana. I've been in New Jersey for the past 5 months on an extended leave. I have a green card courtesy of my husband but I want to go and continue my housemanship in Ghana whiles studying for the usmle. That way, I'll get experience too. Anyone thinks this is crazy?

class of 2008 kath/sms, knust. currently doing housemanship in Ghana. I've been in New Jersey for the past 5 months on an extended leave. I have a green card courtesy of my husband but I want to go and continue my housemanship in Ghana whiles studying for the usmle. That way, I'll get experience too. Anyone thinks this is crazy?

Not at all. Sounds like a great Idea. Unless you can find some medical job around here.

Another Nigerian in here!! hello everyone!!!!!!:)

Im currently in the USA, living in New York. Im currently doing PA.

Welcome and good luck with Things

dr. maxy, thanks for the support. I needed to hear that. :)

hi every more, am an undergraduate biochemist.

Omokwe,

U mean ur in undergrad majoring in Biochem??
I'm in my last yr of med school currently applying for residency (Surgery)
Have a Biochem degree ... which is what got me interested in ur post. Good luck and keep moving!

Gentle.

Is it too late for me?
Hello my fellow Africans,
I’m from Togo, but lived in Ghana most of my life. Please help me make a decision. Some of you may think this post should be under the non-traditional med section but I want feedback from you guys because you understand the struggles we go through as Africans.

I’m planning to submit applications for PhD programs in Epidemiology for next fall only because I think I may have missed the opportunity for my dream profession: medicine.
I completed my undergraduate degree in Biology (2001), with a 3.3gpa (worked a lot of campus jobs to support myself). My f-1 status made it impossible to apply for loans for grad school or even pursue medicine. After a year of cancer research, followed by many years of odd and non-science related jobs, I decided to pursue the MPH degree which I completed this year (4.0gpa). Looking back, I wish I had stayed back in Ghana to pursue medicine…..all this paper restrictions would not have been an issue.
Is it too late to pursue medicine now? I’m no longer restricted by F-1 status but I am a 31year old female and I need to be realistic. Did I miss the boat? I thought about enrolling in a MCAT prep course and doing really great on the MCAT to improve my chances, but with my science courses being almost 10 years old would I be wasting my time? Or should I enroll in a 2 year post bac…after which I would be 33…and then submit my application
Please help me decide, I could pursue the epi program, although not an area that I’m excited about.

If medicine is what you love then it is what you should do. Have faith in yourself. You will be successful in attaining all of your goals if you believe in yourself! Gods blessings.

i'm from nigeria. at delta state university medical school. 200L:D

If these paper restrictions are behind you, you shouldn't have a problem now. Look in the nontrad forum. Some ppl apply with pre-reqs that are 10years or even 12years old. YOu have research experience, if medicine is your true passion, i say pursue it so you don't have to look back years from now and regret it. I know someone who started med school at 33 and she's about to finish here residency. She had 3 kids and a husband.
If you're going to factor in your age, i think you're fine. you should be a doctor by 40. that leaves you with 25 years of a great career practicing medicine. Do you have the time for a 2 year post bacc? if you find it absolutely necessary to do one, then enroll in a one year postbacc or do an unofficial postbacc where you take the classes at a university.
best wishes

Is it too late for me?
Hello my fellow Africans,
I’m from Togo, but lived in Ghana most of my life. Please help me make a decision. Some of you may think this post should be under the non-traditional med section but I want feedback from you guys because you understand the struggles we go through as Africans.

I’m planning to submit applications for PhD programs in Epidemiology for next fall only because I think I may have missed the opportunity for my dream profession: medicine.
I completed my undergraduate degree in Biology (2001), with a 3.3gpa (worked a lot of campus jobs to support myself). My f-1 status made it impossible to apply for loans for grad school or even pursue medicine. After a year of cancer research, followed by many years of odd and non-science related jobs, I decided to pursue the MPH degree which I completed this year (4.0gpa). Looking back, I wish I had stayed back in Ghana to pursue medicine…..all this paper restrictions would not have been an issue.
Is it too late to pursue medicine now? I’m no longer restricted by F-1 status but I am a 31year old female and I need to be realistic. Did I miss the boat? I thought about enrolling in a MCAT prep course and doing really great on the MCAT to improve my chances, but with my science courses being almost 10 years old would I be wasting my time? Or should I enroll in a 2 year post bac…after which I would be 33…and then submit my application
Please help me decide, I could pursue the epi program, although not an area that I’m excited about.

My fellow West Africans,

I'm a 3rd yr MS in the States- originally from Ondo State, Nigeria. I would like to do an elective at Lagos State University Hospital in Ikeja-Lagos, Nigeria for one month- in Spring 2011.
So I have searched everywhere on the internet for their elective program for "foreign students", but I haven't found anything essential. Does anyone have tips or connections to LASUTH. I really want to work at home in a hospital.

Please let me know if you have any tips or know someone that has connections.

Thanks

Just writing this so I can check it out again couple years down the road!

MS1 baby!!! International student here and slugging it out!

Wow to think that I am one of the original posters of this thread makes me proud to see how much it has really grown. Original posters. Obasanjo and co hit me up abeg. Laters.:) I hail you Dr. Maxy :)

Hi there! Final year med student from LUTH.
Where can one do residency in Surgery besides the US, UK & Canada thatz cost-effective-accomodation, residence, etc & still cool? Tanx.

Hi, med student from iuth!! please i need information concerning electives in the states,
some schools are asking for usmle and toefl.
I need a list of nonaffliate hospitals too.
Basically info on how to go about application cuz it seems
I dnt have much time.thanks*

Any Ghana nigeria or African medical School student/graduate applying for medical residency this year?
would like to hook up and share ideas and strategise together
Cheers

Hey everyone! Naija pre-med here. I'm planning to visit family sometime this spring, and was wondering if you guys were familiar with ARFH- The Association for Reproductive and Family Health. I want to see if I can help out at their clinic during my visit, especially in owerri, since that's where I'll be for most of the trip. If anyone has any info on how can get on that, send me a private message.

Hey everyone! I'm a Nigerian pre-dent! Any Naija pre-dents in here???

Hey everyone! I'm a Nigerian pre-dent! Any Naija pre-dents in here???

Welcome Buddy. Huh you are in Houston, TX. Trying to get a job there.