MD & DO Any hope with these stats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicineFTW

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Thanks for taking the time to read this and hopefully provide me with some input. I know I don't have the best stats but is there any hope here? I went to a school known for grade deflation, not sure if that will help my chances at all.

Science GPA: 3.17
cGPA: 3.34
MCAT: 33

I have 3 years of research experience and 2 co-authorships with heavy ECs throughout college (a lot of volunteering and leadership but not as much clinical). Taking a gap year working as a medical scribe for more clinical experience. Great LORs, one explaining the poor grades for two tough semesters.

I am applying to both MD and DO schools, tentative list below, please advise on removing or adding schools:

MSUCOM
LECOM
PCOM
NYIT
Touro - NY/CA
EVCOM
Nova

Commonwealth Scranton
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
UMDNJ
George Washington
Quinnipiac - CT
Tulane - New Orleans, LA
New York Medical College
Rush Medical College
Meharry
Loyola
U Illinois
Virginia Tech
US UoHS

Members don't see this ad.

I think it looks good for DO but for MD you should apply broadly and state schools.

Suggestion is that unless you are African American I wouldn't apply to Meharry. I heard of some people going there that aren't and I know they exist but it is a HBC. Good luck.

Last edited:
I think it looks good for DO but for MD you should apply broadly and state schools.

Suggestion is that if you are African American I wouldn't apply to Meharry. I heard of some people going there that aren't and I know they exist but it is a HBC. Good luck.

Typo or did you mean this? Not trying to sound sarcastic, legitimately wondering.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, so I am in a very rigorous State University which has got me on my toes right now. Before coming to college I went to a fairly easy highschool that handed out A's like noone's business. After coming here I have found myself falling behind tremendously. I just finished my freshman year and only got Biol 101 done. I am currently taking Anatomy and Physiology this summer session. Unfortunately for me, I fell back with chemistry. Little did i know that chem 101 here requires Math 110 credit. I fell behind o this because i thought my SAT would give me credit but it didnt. that's why i am going to take the SAT subject text next week. The thing is if i do not do well then i wont be able to take chem 101 next summer session. With the new MCAT 2015 addidn 3 new courses to its curriculum including Biochemistry i am falling behind tremendously. What should I do? I still have to take Gen chem 1 and 2, orgo 1 and 2, analytical chem, physics 1 and 2 and biochem. I am really struggling here and need some advice. I personally am doubting myself very much and having anxiety attacks because I do not think i can make it to medical school. Some of my cousins have told be to look broadly and consider carribean schools like they have done. I just don't know what to do right now and feel like trash. I didnt do as well my freshman year either. I finished off with a 3.48 which is mediocre. Please if anyone is out there with sufficient/real advise and wont undermine me please help me out.

Okay, so I am in a very rigorous State University which has got me on my toes right now. Before coming to college I went to a fairly easy highschool that handed out A's like noone's business. After coming here I have found myself falling behind tremendously. I just finished my freshman year and only got Biol 101 done. I am currently taking Anatomy and Physiology this summer session. Unfortunately for me, I fell back with chemistry. Little did i know that chem 101 here requires Math 110 credit. I fell behind o this because i thought my SAT would give me credit but it didnt. that's why i am going to take the SAT subject text next week. The thing is if i do not do well then i wont be able to take chem 101 next summer session. With the new MCAT 2015 addidn 3 new courses to its curriculum including Biochemistry i am falling behind tremendously. What should I do? I still have to take Gen chem 1 and 2, orgo 1 and 2, analytical chem, physics 1 and 2 and biochem. I am really struggling here and need some advice. I personally am doubting myself very much and having anxiety attacks because I do not think i can make it to medical school. Some of my cousins have told be to look broadly and consider carribean schools like they have done. I just don't know what to do right now and feel like trash. I didnt do as well my freshman year either. I finished off with a 3.48 which is mediocre. Please if anyone is out there with sufficient/real advise and wont undermine me please help me out.

First of all relax. College is supposed to be fun and if you are going to be so neurotic about it you simply won't do well simply because you were so stressed. Being Pre Med is stressful but if you manage your time it doesn't have to kill you. Your GPA is ok for Freshman year and you could still certainly improve it. Also you should consider that it might take you more then the traditional four years to get your courses in. Also you should really just be focusing on getting good grades and believe in yourself because if you don't you won't get anywhere. My advice to you is to go to your academic advisor and with them you should plan out your schedule to be ready for the MCAT. Also its way to early but please don't set your mind to the Caribbean its way too early for that and you don't want to go there. You're being a typical neurotic pre med and that isn't a good thing but normal

Last edited:
Thanks DoctorSynthesis and Goro! I personally like the DO philosophy more but would still prefer an MD program so certainly going to apply. I did not know that about Meharry but still applying to test my chances.

Any suggestions are far as which DOs to focus on or input for chances at Touro/NYIT/PCOM?

Tnasiri - like DS said, relax. You've got a long way to go and a lot of time to figure out those details - the fact that you're freaking out is a good sign in that you care for your future (I on the other hand never gave thought to numbers, just tried my best). But keep working hard and I'm sure you'll figure out the best path for you in time.

Thanks DoctorSynthesis and Goro! I personally like the DO philosophy more but would still prefer an MD program so certainly going to apply. I did not know that about Meharry but still applying to test my chances.

Any suggestions are far as which DOs to focus on or input for chances at Touro/NYIT/PCOM?

Tnasiri - like DS said, relax. You've got a long way to go and a lot of time to figure out those details - the fact that you're freaking out is a good sign in that you care for your future (I on the other hand never gave thought to numbers, just tried my best). But keep working hard and I'm sure you'll figure out the best path for you in time.

Touro I think is good because they seem to love High MCAT. NYIT has a gpa of 3.6 and mcat = 28 . PCOM has a gpa of 3.47 and mcat =28. So I think you have a good shot at all of these but its not a guarantee. You still have an outside shot at MD so you might as well apply but obviously I would go with what goro says over me.

Touro I think is good because they seem to love High MCAT. NYIT has a gpa of 3.6 and mcat = 28 . PCOM has a gpa of 3.47 and mcat =28. So I think you have a good shot at all of these but its not a guarantee. You still have an outside shot at MD so you might as well apply but obviously I would go with what goro says over me.

I agree with almost everything. If the OP is an URM, I think it would be worth it to apply to MD. Otherwise, I personally believe there is no chance for MD unless he does a SMP

Thanks GypsyHummus! Unfortunately, an SMP would add costs that I cannot afford and I am happy to go the DO route if admitted to a DO school. Unfortunately, I do not know all that much about DO schools atm but will be looking into it much more after applying tomorrow. As for MDs, I would like to apply still and hope for the best, especially hoping for chances at new places like Commonwealth or Quinnipiac.

Anyone have any advice or info that could be helpful?

Given how low your GPA's are, I wouldn't apply to MD programs without pursuing a SMP. Since you seem to be unable to apply to SMP programs, you should apply strictly DO.

Frankly, the money which you could be using to (fruitlessly) apply to MD programs could/should be spent towards taking courses to improve your GPA. It would be a much more beneficial use of your apparently limited resources.