Any official forms to bring to shadowing to record hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UnicornDemon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does the physician have to sign anything? It seems like I'm just supposed to record the hours in my own personal log and self-report them... but that seems so unofficial. Do I really not need to bring anything with me shadowing?

Members don't see this ad.

Everything on AMCAS is based on the honor system. No need to log but be as accurate as possible when reporting (Definitely easier said than done when projecting future hours).

Does the physician have to sign anything? It seems like I'm just supposed to record the hours in my own personal log and self-report them... but that seems so unofficial. Do I really not need to bring anything with me shadowing?

Bring a padfolio if you want to look legit. Otherwise, nothing.

Reactions: 1 user
Everything on AMCAS is based on the honor system. No need to log but be as accurate as possible when reporting (Definitely easier said than done when projecting future hours).

I wish that this sort of information would be confirmed or at least minimally investigated:

1. It is easy to call Human Resources to verify that a physician was actually on duty during or around the time a student says s/he shadowed.

2. Many hospitals have time clocks for volunteers, and possibly for those shadowing as well.

I don't suggest that ADCOMs investigate this for EVERYONE, only for people who are borderline (ex. borderline for a scholarship, borderline for getting accepted, etc.).