Any other schools still have mandatory attendance right now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drducky.

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems like other med schools have all moved mostly online. Meanwhile, we still have mandatory attendance 5 days a week, in a classroom with 150 other people...

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
It seems like other med schools have all moved mostly online. Meanwhile, we still have mandatory attendance 5 days a week, in a classroom with 150 other people...

My school said we are doing a "hybrid" but looking at my schedule we are also basically completely back to mandatory sessions. Especially with OMM and our clinical class as well as OSCE's. With 250+ people.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mandatory WebEx attendance for OMM, PCM & HME lectures, in person for socially distant labs.

What school is this!???????

Let me guess you go to a school in a red state?
Let me guess your school is in a red state?

Reactions: 1 users

I’m not sure if it’s appropriate to name the school but it is a red state.

• Angry
Reactions: 2 users
I’m not sure if it’s appropriate to name the school but it is a red state.
You are on an anonymous internet board. How will they know it's you versus the other hundred plus classmates? And why would it matter? They can't say it's unprofessional to state the school's attendance policy.

This bs about not naming schools has got to end. What do all these people think? That the school is going to subpoena the IP (how?) for stating facts?

Reactions: 11 users
You are on an anonymous internet board. How will they know it's you versus the other hundred plus classmates? And why would it matter? They can't say it's unprofessional to state the school's attendance policy.

This bs about not naming schools has got to end. What do all these people think? That the school is going to subpoena the IP (how?) for stating facts?
My school is in the reddest state possible and even they aren’t dumb enough to pull something like having 150 ppl in a class room during a pandemic

Reactions: 3 users

I go to a school in a very red state (alabama). and our lectures are entirely online with the only in person things are labs

Reactions: 2 users
I go to a school in a very red state (alabama). and our lectures are entirely online with the only in person things are labs

Same school, but just highlight that the only labs are anatomy and OMT. Both have reduced the number of those in attendance by breaking the typically large groups into smaller groups and having more sessions. They essential ensured we are getting the same level of education while making their jobs much more difficult. We are also provided proper ppe. As students I don’t think we can ask for much more.

I think we would need to see many more schools from red states having similar situations to start pointing fingers. This appears to be an outlier.

I personally believe the biggest long term issue with covid is that it is being used as a political tool. You can be pro science and understand the threat to society it creates. You can also see that you are being manipulated by the non-science community, for example politicians. Those two thoughts are not mutually exclusive. Just my personal opinion. Feel free to disagree

Reactions: 3 users
Half our online classes are mandatory “attendance” you can literally log in and do whatever you want. OMM and clinical skills are in person. Clinical skills are groups of 4. OMM are in groups of 10 held in the OMM lab or the huge lecture halls. We are given kn95 w face-shield

We still have exams, some CBL's/SGL's (not many), and Anatomy/OMM lab on campus. They broke us up into three different 50 person groups. I think the first years are in the morning and we are in the afternoon.

To the OP and anyone else who goes to the "not-named" school: your admin isn't going to listen to you. This is about power and politics. They took the presumptive positives off the website today to make it look like the count of cases is much lower than it is. You guys are going to have to resort to other means. But BE CAREFUL.

Reactions: 1 users
To the OP and anyone else who goes to the "not-named" school: your admin isn't going to listen to you. This is about power and politics. They took the presumptive positives off the website today to make it look like the count of cases is much lower than it is. You guys are going to have to resort to other means. But BE CAREFUL.

You can still find the previous posts with the presumptive positives by clicking "view all updates" on the website. Just takes a few more clicks that most people will not think to do. Just a way of hiding information in my opinion. :shrug:

The "not named" school (I hope we're all talking about the same school here lmao) said in a town hall meeting that the reason they changed the numbers on the website was because it included people on rotations that were not currently on campus, and people that didn't necessarily test positive for covid-19 but had symptoms. As of Friday, they said there were only 3 confirmed positive cases on campus, and they said they were moving to socially distanced lectures instead by spreading students (wearing mandatory masks) between 2 lecture halls (one in person and one live streaming). Also, It appears there will be a mixed of virtual and on campus lectures since they are spreading students out, they can't accommodate both OMS classes at the same time with the 2 lecture halls. Honestly despite all that, I think it would have been much better if they moved to online lectures altogether even if they made that mandatory too. There's really no need for the extra risk of exposures if it's not for labs or exams IMHO. I'm currently off campus on rotations, but I really feel for the students that have to deal with this.

Last edited: